Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Owning a domain name of a famous person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE! Sounds like the name has some value to it.
Everbody on this forum should know what domain Nathan Smith (Nolz91; Nate) is owning and hoping to make money from: NataschaKampusch.com.

Natascha Kampusch is an 18 years old woman who was kidnapped at the age of 10 and who has been kept captive by her kidnapper for a period of more than 8 years. Yes, this woman lost most of her childhood and teenager years. Fortunately, she was able to fly few weeks ago. Ms. Kampush is now in psychological treatment.

It is absolutely unacceptable that Nathan Smith tries to profit from the very bad tragedy Ms. Kampush and her family have been suffering from over all these years.

The domain should NOT be sold to them, it should be given to the family for free.

Nolz91

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DnQuest,
I would not consider myself a cybersquatter!!Even though I I've only been in the domain business for six months,(still a newbie) all my domain names I totally just think up out of my own imagination. This was a buzzword that I just happened upon and reg. when I saw it available.

My question is if this was a representive of ****** ******, why would they offer to buy the name? Also as I mentioned if I could determine this was a authentic email from the family of ***** ******, I would just give the name to them!! I'm not that hard up for money.

I put this post up to get sound advice from the "experts" not to profit!!!!

Besides all other ext. of this name are now reg. to someone else.

Nolz91

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DnQuest,
I would not consider myself a cybersquatter!!Even though I I've only been in the domain business for six months,(still a newbie) all my domain names I totally just think up out of my own imagination. This was a buzzword that I just happened upon and reg. when I saw it available.

My question is if this was a representive of ****** ******, why would they offer to buy the name? Also as I mentioned if I could determine this was a authentic email from the family of ***** ******, I would just give the name to them!! I'm not that hard up for money.

I put this post up to get sound advice from the "experts" not to profit!!!!

Besides all other ext. of this name are now reg. to someone else.

Nolz91

just going by your own comments and if that is the domain that is registered (you have not denied it), then yes, you are looking to capitalize off of someone else's name for personal gain and that is cybersquatting. The reason they would offer money is to resolve it quickly. They could go the long route but decided to end this fast. As far as establishing if they have rights, ask them, or offer to transfer the name to her or her parents. You can refer to the Elizabeth Taylor case as far as establishments of rights to someone else's name.

Sidenote... very immoral and disgusts me.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The right thing is to give the family the domain at no charge. The wrong and immoral thing is to try to profit from a family already suffering and thereby inflicting more hardship.

You choose...

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about the following thread, started by Nolz91:

Thread title: NataschaKampusch.com(LOST GIRL FOUND!!)

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14497151/from/ET/

Interesting story!

Not looking to sell, but interested in possible developing value. Maybe I can develop into a blogsite.

After reading the latest copy of Business 2.0 blogging has grown into a huge money maker!!!

Any Appraisals?

thanks
NOLZ91
Link: http://www.dnforum.com/thread174069.html

No doubt, you registered the domain in bad faith!

Now you have two possibilities and hopefully you will choose the right one...

WeBuyThe.Com

WE BUY DOMAINS
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nate,

You should donate the name to the family KARMA !!
I'll even pay you $25 and handle the transaction for you.
PM Me!!

Thanks,
Matt

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh Jiminy Flippin Christmas.

How many magazines are going to profit by putting her picture on the cover?

Render unto us a break from the moralizing.

Nolz91

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh Jiminy Flippin Christmas.

How many magazines are going to profit by putting her picture on the cover?

Render unto us a break from the moralizing.

THANKS

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd take a close look at who bettertogether GmbH is and if they really have any connections to that family or are representing them.

As it looks, bettertogether is an austrian PR and media coaching agency offering interview training, event management, lobbying etc.

Their site is at bettertogether.at

Then again - without moralizing - if it's really the domain NataschaKampusch.com this is about i'd accept their offer within a blink of an eye; i'd have no idea how you would want to monetize on this name otherwise.

This way you get rid of all potential problems that might be assocoiated with the name, even if that company should turn out to use the domain for themselves (which i doubt).

In short - either drop the name or take the money and run.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As it looks, bettertogether is an austrian PR and media coaching agency offering interview training, event management, lobbying etc.

Gee... do you think they make any money?

Brett Lewis

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In this case, there are laws that deal with the type of profit that Mr. Smith would be making and the way that he would be making it. It is not only about what is morally right.

Frankly, I wish there wasn't a camera thrust in the face of every parent whose child was just run over by a drunk driver or burned to death in a fire or kidnapped, and that the news exercised some restraint in respecting people's privacy -- but we are dealing with a different issue here. There are laws on the books, and Mr. Smith may be held legally accountable for his actions. There is certainly enough of a basis to sue him, and I cannot imagine that too many judges or juries would be sympathetic with what he did. He also stands to recive a firestorm of negative publicity (for about 15 minutes). If he would give the domain name back to the family than he should locate their representatives and offer it to them for free.

My 2 cents in a not entirely legal opinion.

Brett E. Lewis
Lewis & Hand, LLP
www.lewishand.com

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The morality of the issue isn't much of an issue to me. This is subjective, to an extent at least. At what point is the general consensus that the person that the domain is squatting on, is to be felt so bad for that this is considered immoral?

What about someone that got alot of press because they got in a car accident, but their dad was a famous producer so they get alot of press due to a family member in the media?

I personally think you should give it back for free, or lunge at the 500$ and run. If the person sending the emails is not legit, they are out 500$ and then can deal with the real issue you are facing, pointed out by others in the post already.

It will cost the other party money as well, to proceed with this. And they are going through enough press right now as it is, this would just be another media circus.

I would get it out of your hands asap, no matter what you do.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now that I know what appears to be the one in question, I also wonder how the
"PR firm" will treat the domain name should you give it to them. For all we know,
they might commercially exploit it as well.

There are different and all kinds of people on this earth, after all.

Nolz91

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see more comments than bashing me for registering the name. I'm surprised this name is getting this much "airtime". She's not a celebrity or star or public official. She's just another news story!! From the moment the domain went live, I only posted news I read concerning her escape on a yahoo 'starter' page.

My comment:"Not looking to sell, but interested in possible developing value. Maybe I can develop into a blogsite. " This shows my original intentions was to create a blog after reading her amazing story. That day in the mail I received the latest copy of Business 2.0. The cover says "Blogging for Dollars" (it's not just a hobby-some small sites are making big money.) Naturally I tuned in more.

Immediately after registering the name, I began to receive unsolicited emails with offers. I have not been contacted by Natascha, her representatives, or her family. And I may NEVER hear from them. If she does contact me, the name is hers! FREE!!(Like I've said all along).
The only reason I even posted to this thread was to get advice on an unsolicited email I received with an offer from an unidentified person.

Most have told me to ignore the emails, the REAL Natascha wouldn't have to offer any money. She would be entitled to it, unless I named my first-born Natascha Kampusch!!!

BTW, someone registered all the other ext???Do they belong to Natascha or her family???????

thanks for all the advice. It's was all I was asking for from the beginning!

Nolz91

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom