Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Owning someone's name

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImUnlisted.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have the name mitchbeck.com. He is not a main streem public figure. He wrote into a newspaper bad-mouthing some radio guys. I have a guy in a funny costume there now. I know this is legal, because I am making no mention of him and there are 41 Mitch Becks in the U.S. I would like to put up some PhotoShop images that people have created. As you may have guessed, they are not showing him in a good light. Could I get in trouble for this if I'm not making any money? Is there a disclaimer I could put up that would cover me?

He was at one time a radio guy. He has a website up with a consulting firm that has his picture. I consider him a semi-public person. Definately the most famous of all Mitch Becks. I guess I need to look at this as if I had billclinton.com, could I put up funny made-up pictures of the ex-president and jokes about him?

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Draqon says you are totally fine, go ahead with your plan. Mitch has no legal leg to stand on if he is upset with the website.

But im sure I dont have to tell you that you need to make sure your comments are TRUTHFUL, because otherwise your negative comments will be interpreted as slander which is certainly illegal.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Why did you register the domain in the first place?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will probably fily a lawsuit if you are trying to flame them in any way and take the name away. I am curious why you registered the name anyway too. :)

I'd contact that person and ask if they want the name.

ImUnlisted.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Why did you register the domain in the first place?
I'm just a fan of the guys he was badmouthing. Was going to try to make some money with ads or parking, but decided to just go for the laugh. I've received more that 6000 hits in the last week, but don't have enough words on my page for AdSense to come up with anything.
Mr. Deleted said:
cunttree.com ...whoever put this up has a lot of time on their hands!
Yea, that's mine too. Just a name I regd because it was funny, but couldn't come up with any good content ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom