Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Paid for renewal - domain still shows auto-renew grace

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I paid for a domain renewal several weeks ago. The invoice was paid (shows on CC statement and in my account profile).

But the domains is still showing auto-renew grace when I check on CIRA.

So should I still be worried that the domain is going to drop/delete?

I emailed the company involved BUT if the answer is yes to the potential drop I'll name the company so other people can check their renewed domains.

Thanks
db

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if it shows renewed in your registrar account it shouldn't be an issue

you should be looking at the expiry date ...is it showing your new renewal date?

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
theinvestor,

Thanks for the help. Yes it looks ok in my account but I'm worried because of what it says on CIRA. Before it was pretty easy to determine the status but now...

I'm so happy CIRA changed all the rules so it easier for customers like me!!!

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
theinvestor,

Thanks for the help. Yes it looks ok in my account but I'm worried because of what it says on CIRA. Before it was pretty easy to determine the status but now...

I'm so happy CIRA changed all the rules so it easier for customers like me!!!

It's one of the new CIRA rules and it doesn't make any sense. Read the thread "Everyone know all the rules yet?". If you find other surprises please let us know -lol.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So I paid for a domain renewal several weeks ago. The invoice was paid (shows on CC statement and in my account profile).

I emailed the company involved BUT if the answer is yes to the potential drop I'll name the company so other people can check their renewed domains.

Thanks
db

Is the domain "active"??

If the domain is active, I believe it is ok to believe that it has been renewed. But if the domain is not "active".. than I have a problem to believe that it has been indeed renewed at CIRA. I think in that case CIRA would cancel the domain and say it was the Registrar who screwed up, like what happened to the domains on TBR like y2.ca. They would simply cancel and put the blame on the Registrar saying that it was another of their "New" rules to simplify the .CA registrations. ... Go figure!!!

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey thebutler,

Registrars don't have an option to move from "auto-renew" to registered, basically they should just not delete the domain during the auto-renew then it will automatically move to registered status. You will get an email from CIRA if it is deleted from auto-renew, so you will have 30 days from there to have them correct it if they did make a mistake.

Best Regards,

Jason

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Thanks
db

It does not matter what the internal system of your registrar reports to you.

A domain registration is not renewed at all unless you can check that it is active on the actual CIRA WHOIS page.

We also have seen a registrar 'renew' domains that have then gone to TBR, which will have a serious consequence for them.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
its very easy to miss, I created another stage internally auto-renew-completed that then tells my system not to delete it with the other auto renew domains for a refund from CIRA, so I could see how a domain accidently slipped into Redemption but the customer should have gotten a email from CIRA stating it was deleted and contacted the registrar? Also the registrar gets a message through the message system that it was deleted as well.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It does not matter what the internal system of your registrar reports to you.

A domain registration is not renewed at all unless you can check that it is active on the actual CIRA WHOIS page.

We also have seen a registrar 'renew' domains that have then gone to TBR, which will have a serious consequence for them.

Hey MSN, does that mean the RegistRAR is banking the money and only applying it when they have to? That seems like a dangerous practise.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@onlinestoreca no the cost is deducted as soon as it hits auto-renew period, if the customer renews the registrar collects the amount and does not "delete" the domain from auto-renew. Deleting the domain from auto-renew gives the registrar a refund for the renewal price they paid when it went to auto-renew. The problem is with registrars that accidently delete domains that have been renewed by customer.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey MSN, does that mean the RegistRAR is banking the money and only applying it when they have to? That seems like a dangerous practise.

CIRA appears to be the one banking funds. A domain registration now appears to be a subscription, albeit one which has a 30-day refund policy.

This creates a inordinate cash flow burden on smaller registrars due to the need to carry enough deposit with CIRA to cover every one of the renewing domains on a daily basis, plus TBR and new registrations. To add to the mix, CIRA debits the same deposit account for the annual fee instead of a separate invoice.

Look at it this way:

If a registrar has 7300 domains under management they have on average 20 domain registrations expiring every day. At $8.50 each, they need to pay CIRA $170 per day to cover automatic renewals, regardless of whether or not the registrant has actually renewed the registrations.

Naturally, registrations are not so well distributed: they tend to be 'lumpy' with big gobs of money required to cover Wednesdays when new TBRs are registered and TBRs from prior years hit renewal.

Now imagine a registrar with those 7300 registrations under management and only five domains on each 'normal' day and 110 combined TBRs and renewals once a week. The 'normal' days will see CIRA draw $42.50 and Wednesdays $935 from the account.

Theoretically a registrar in this situation might have to give CIRA around $5100 before getting the first penny from their registrants.

And since CIRA debits fees from the same account, the .ca registrar could effectively have their balance disappear overnight if CIRA wants its $1000 registrar renewal and decides to withdraw funds from the registrar, leaving the registrar high and dry since it would not be able to renew or create registrations without sufficient funds in that account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom