Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Per William Purdy ed Il Palo di Washington, Trubune di Stella, Cola di Cocaina, Pepsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildshades

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes well, I am really mad as yell. I am familiar with what you are speaking and I know sen. biden from Delaware admitted to plagarism at one point in his carrer and well, I am really mad as yell.

In terms of the acpa act though congress did do the right thing in defeating it when the act was voted on for it's own merits.

pljones

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't understand your comments about the ACPA. It passed Congress in 1999 and has been found to be constitutional in over 100+ court cases.

If you haven't read Judge Montgomery's opinions, do so. Purdy has every right to use abortionismurder.org to get his message across. He should take the money that he's wasting on infringing domain names and put it to some full page ads in the NY Times or USA Today, which would be better than violating a court order and acting in complete contempt for the legal system.

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by YOYOYO
I don't follow you

Do I think going to jail is a bad thing.

Of course it is, especially when he has done nothing more than register domain names and use them.

YOYOYO, you win the February 2003 Online Media Law Basic Human Decency Award. Your reward is already in your karmic bank account.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CTN,

That chain mail letter going around making all those claims about the members of Congress is a known hoax. See:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/congress.htm

Yoyoyo and wildshade,

He didn't just register domain names, he knowingly and repeatedly violated the trademarks of several companies, even after being rules against and knowing what he was doign was wrong. If he wanted to do it to make a protest, then he is agreeing to go to jail, and that's his own choice. He's breaking the law, he should serve the price, period.

It'd be different if he had never heard of domain names or trademarks and didn't have a clue and was jailed immediately. He was told point blank that what he was doing was against the law, and so much so that Congress passed the US Anti-Cybersquatting Act of 1999 to specifically strengthen. If he continues to do wrong after being ordered not to, what else is there to do? Keep fining him and never getting the money?

They should lock him up for a while, release him, and if he doesn't transfer all those names or registers another of the same type, repeat the process with escalating jail times until he learns his lesson or dies of old age.

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Namedropper would have a man go to jail for speaking his mind, and to reach that result, will deny that his words are speech. Meanwhile, corporations steal real cash with the help of professionals and no one does a day in jail. Corporations are "people" under the law, and have rights of free speech, rights to make political contributions, and even to sue people (or maybe have them jailed) for using their name. (Please note, this last is a right that only "famous people" possess -- plebes have no trademarks in their names.) But when corporations drain the economy with a train of fraudulent practices, no one is to blame.

From Charles Dickens' "Bleak House," the quintessential novel about legal legerdemain:

"The law gives to moneyed might the power of endlessly wearying out the right."

Some things never change.

Chas

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Namedropper would have a man go to jail for speaking his mind, and to reach that result, will deny that his words are speech. "

....and "CocaColaJesus" says, um, what exactly?

Speech is communicative. What message is communicated by "CocaColaJesus"?

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by charles
Namedropper would have a man go to jail for speaking his mind, and to reach that result, will deny that his words are speech.

No, not at all. I'm not denying his words are speech, as his words are completely unaffected. He can still say what he likes, and he can still post want he wants on his web site. That's never been an issue. What I am denying is that registering the trademarks of others as domain names is free speech.

Your arguments that these addresses are speech is completely at variance with the law (the AntiCybersquatting Act of 1999), a multitude of prior legal rulings and UDRP decisions, as well as the ICANN domain name registration agreement everyone has to accept before they register a name. The only way your argument would prevail is if all of those were completely thrown out.

You can continue to go around and around on this if you want, but that's not going to change the facts of the case.

YOYOYO

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namedropper, whatda you graz......a kookie kook too.....!!

First Charles.....thank you for the banking information......I definitely think offshore accounts are the way to go in this time of peril.

I have contacted the officers of karmic bank and the account is setup, ready to receive transfers. I will send you a secret message when clearance has occurred.

Now back to......

Oh my........The charges against the members of congress as outlined in the message of ctn are true. This has been reported on the news many times. Maybe the numbers he has given are off, I'm not sure, but the story is absolutely true.

Why you so graz......... childhood.....girlfriend go away....

Everyone has their own way of protesting. I know you wanted to argue last week, me too, even more than you.....and so now the time has come. RA RA HEY HEY!!!

Why in the world do you think that people should do what you think they should do. You have you own little set of what should bes........

He should do this, he should do that.......what are you thinking about.

What is you goal in life, to go around and tell people what they should do, how they should express themselves.

When you're walking down a street do you go up to people and say. "you shouldn't go there, you should go here."

Has it occurred to you that maybe someone doesn't want to go there.......they have their own idea of where they want to go and how they want to do it.

The phrase chill out........has never been more appropriate.

You really need to...and I imagine you have been told this a number of times in your life.

The court did a very wise thing in not sending Purdy to jail. The companies involved and the court were aware of the additional names registered as seen on this message board.

Obviously someone or some group has taken up his cause and has made a statement. I can only imagine that many more names would be registered had William Purdy gone to jail.

I think the name washingtonpast.com is just great. I mean it's a
fantastic parody name, yet serious in it's nature and comment.

I'm really surpassed it was still around to be registered.

And so what has the washington post and other companies accomplished by initiating and following through with this ridiculous case against William Purdy.

Materially they have widened the scope of the protest against themselves.

They have in fact already lost the case, not matter what they outcome is to Purdy.

More domains have been registered and as fast as they are able to be transferred or canceled more will be registered.

And no, congress did not pass the acpa act, it was voted down on it's own merits and was attached to budget bill.

As wildshades so correctly said, it became law by "the old fashioned way of doing things," backroom politics, so screw them.

Why don't you get that.......it's easy to understand.

period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period............got you on the periods. period.....

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by YOYOYO
Oh my........The charges against the members of congress as outlined in the message of ctn are true. This has been reported on the news many times.

:rolleyes:

The link debunking it has already been posted. If you insist upon believing that a hoax email is correct, that's your own problem.

period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period............got you on the periods. period.....

Well, if you can't win based upon the law, ethics, common sense or even just a well worded argument, I guess being able to say you typed more periods is a major accomplishment.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period. period............"

Sounds like "that time of the month" for somebody....

domains

ComDeals.com - World-class domains for sale.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The gentleman discussed here called me one night to make me an offer on one of my domains. The domain was a 2-word, 4-letter domain which happened to have the initials of a famous company. That never ocurred to me, because to me it was just two words. I turned down the offer, and shortly thereafter the company in question purchased it from me for $1,200. I got the sense they must really follow this guy. He made me some money!

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jberryhill
"Namedropper would have a man go to jail for speaking his mind, and to reach that result, will deny that his words are speech. "

....and "CocaColaJesus" says, um, what exactly?

Speech is communicative. What message is communicated by "CocaColaJesus"?

As much as:

"Coney Island of the Mind"
Lawrence Ferlinghetti

"The Air Conditioned Nightmare"
Henry Miller

"American Woman"
The Guess Who

"Hello Cowgirl in the Sand"
CSNY

"'Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gymble in the wabe,
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the momeraths, outgrabe"
Lewis Carrol, aka Samuel Dodgson

Speech does not lose its communicative character due to being nonsensical, incomprehensible, or ambiguous. Words are speech. How obtuse of me :cool:

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's nice when the courts come down on your side on an issue. The Sixth Circuit just ruled I'm right that domain names are speech. And First Amendment trumps trademark. Gots ta' be that way!

Opinion edited at "***" for brevity.

Taubman Co. v. Webfeats, No. 01-2648 (6th Cir. 02/07/2003)

[1] UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE SIXTH CIRCUIT

[2] Nos. 01-2648/2725

[3] 2003.C06.0000044< http://www.versuslaw.com>

[4] February 7, 2003

[5] THE TAUBMAN COMPANY, PLAINTIFF-APPELLEE,
v.
WEBFEATS, A TEXAS COMPANY AND HENRY MISHKOFF, AN INDIVIDUAL, DEFENDANTS-APPELLANTS.

[6] Appeal from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan at Detroit. No. 01-72987--Lawrence P. Zatkoff, Chief District Judge.

OPINION

[20] Defendant-Appellant Henry Mishkoff, d/b/a Webfeats, appeals from two preliminary injunctions, respectively entered on October 11, 2001, and December 7, 2001, in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, together granting Plaintiff-Appellee the Taubman Company's (Taubman) request to prevent Mishkoff from using six internet domain names because they likely violate Taubman's trademarks in the terms "Taubman," and "The Shops at Willow Bend."

II. Analysis

[36] Mishkoff claims the injunctions preventing his use of the domain name "shopsatwillowbend.com" and the five "complaint names" are inappropriate because Taubman has not demonstrated a likelihood of success on the merits and because the orders represent a prior restraint on his First Amendment right to speak.

[49] Mishkoff proposes that, regardless of whether his use of Taubman's marks violates the Lanham Act, any injunction prohibiting his use violates the Constitution as a prior restraint on his First Amendment right of Free Speech. Since Mishkoff has raised Free Speech concerns, we will first explain the interrelation between the First Amendment and the Lanham Act. First, this Court has held that the Lanham Act is constitutional. Semco, Inc. v. Amcast, Inc., 52 F.3d 108, 111-12 (6th Cir.1995) (stating that reach of Lanham Act is limited so as to be constitutional); see also Seven-Up v. Coca-Cola Co., 86 F.3d 1379, 1383 n.6 (5th Cir. 1996). The Lanham Act is constitutional because it only regulates commercial speech, which is entitled to reduced protections under the First Amendment. Central Hudson Gas & Elec. Corp. v. Public Serv. Comm'n of New York, 447 U.S. 557, 563 (1980) (stating that regulation of commercial speech is subject only to intermediate scrutiny). Thus, we must first determine if Mishkoff's use is commercial and therefore within the jurisdiction of the Lanham Act, worthy of lesser First Amendment protections.

[50] If Mishkoff's use is commercial, then, and only then, do we analyze his use for a likelihood of confusion. If Mishkoff's use is also confusing, then it is misleading commercial speech, and outside the First Amendment. See 134 Cong. Rec. 31, 851 (Oct. 19, 1988) (statement of Rep. Kastenmeier) (stating that § 43 of the Lanham Act only affects misleading commercial speech); cf. Va. Bd. of Pharmacy v. Va. Citizens Consumer Council, Inc., 425 U.S. 748, 771 & n. 24 (1976) (stating that misleading commercial speech is not protected by the First Amendment); Bonito Boats Inc. v. Thunder Craft Boats, Inc., 489 U.S. 141, 157 (1989) (stating that a trademark owner has at best a quasi-property right in his mark, and can only prevent its use so as to maintain a confusion-free purchasing public) (quoting Crescent Tool Co. v. Kilborn & Bishop Co., 247 F. 299, 301(2d Cir. 1917) (L. Hand, J.)).

[51] Hence, as per the language of the Lanham Act, any expression embodying the use of a mark not "in connection with the sale . . . or advertising of any goods or services," and not likely to cause confusion, is outside the jurisdiction of the Lanham Act and necessarily protected by the First Amendment. Accordingly, we need not analyze Mishkoff's constitutional defenses independent of our Lanham Act analysis. With this backdrop in mind, we proceed to analyze the nature of the two websites.

[52] a. November 9 Injunction -- The "shopsatwillowbend" Website

[53] In regard to the first website, "shopsatwillowbend.com," Mishkoff argues that his use is completely non-commercial and not confusing, and therefore speech entitled to the full protections of the First Amendment. Taubman offers three arguments that Mishkoff is using its name commercially to sell or advertise goods or services. First, Mishkoff had a link to a site owned by Hartley's blouse company, "shirtbiz.com." Second, he had a link to his own site for his web design company, Webfeats. Third, Mishkoff had accepted a $1000 offer to relinquish the name to Taubman.

[54] Although Mishkoff claims his intention in creating his website was non-commercial, the proper inquiry is not one of intent. Daddy's Junky Music Stores, Inc. v. Big Daddy's Family Music Center, 109 F.3d 275, 287 (6th Cir. 1997). In that sense, the Lanham Act is a strict liability statute. See Hard Rock Café Licensing Corp. v. Concession Servs, Inc., 955 F.2d 1143, 1152 n. 6 (7th Cir. 1992). If consumers are confused by an infringing mark, the offender's motives are largely irrelevant. Wynn Oil Co. v. Thomas, 839 F.2d 1183, 1188 (6th Cir. 1988) (citing Lois Sportswear, U.S.A., Inc. v. Levi Strauss & Co., 799 F.2d 867, 875 (2d Cir. 1986)). We believe the advertisements on Mishkoff's site, though extremely minimal, constituted his use of Taubman's mark "in connection with the advertising" of the goods sold by the advertisers. This is precisely what the Lanham Act prohibits.

[55] However, Mishkoff had at least removed the shirtbiz.com link prior to the injunction. A preliminary injunction is proper only to prevent an on-going violation. See, e.g. Hecht Co. v. Bowles, 321 U.S. 321, 329-30 (1944) (recounting the historical role of courts of equity and stating that purpose of injunctive relief is "to deter, not to punish"). As long as Mishkoff has no commercial links on either of his websites, including links to shirtbiz.com, Webfeats, or any other business, we find no use "in connection with the advertising" of goods and services to enjoin, and the Lanham Act cannot be properly invoked.*fn3

[56] Taubman's assertion that its offer to buy the domain name "shopsatwillowbend.com" from Mishkoff qualifies Mishkoff's use of the mark as "in connection with the sale of goods" is meritless. Although other courts have held that a so-called cybersquatter, who registers domain names with the intent to sell the name to the trademark holder, uses the mark "in connection with the sale of goods," they have also limited their holdings to such instances where the defendant had made a habit and a business of such practices. See, e.g., E & J Gallo Winery v. Spider Webs Ltd., 286 F.3d 270, 270 (5th Cir. 2002) (noting that defendant had made a business practice of selling domain names on eBay for no less than $10,000); Panavision Int'l, L.P. v. Toeppen, 141 F.3d 1316 (9th Cir. 1998).

[57] In Panavision, the defendant, Toeppen, purchased and offered to sell the name "panavision.com" to Panavision for $13,000. Id. at 1318. Evidence showed that Toeppen had attempted similar deals with a myriad of other companies, ranging from Delta Airlines to Eddie Bauer. Id. at 1319. The Ninth Circuit found Toeppen's intent to sell the domain name relevant in determining that his creation of the site was a commercial use of Panavision's mark. Id. at 1325. In contrast, not only has Mishkoff not made a practice of registering and selling domain names, but he did not even initiate the bargaining process here. Although Taubman's counsel intimated at oral argument that Mishkoff had in fact initiated the negotiation process, correspondence in the record supports the opposite conclusion, and shows that Taubman first offered Mishkoff $1000 to relinquish the site on August 16, 2001, and Mishkoff initially accepted it under threat of litigation. Hence, this case is distinguishable from Panavision. There is no evidence that Mishkoff's initial motive in selecting Taubman's mark was to re-sell the name. Therefore, we hold his use of the name "shopsatwillowbend.com" is not "in connection with the sale of goods."

[58] Even if Mishkoff's use is commercial speech, i.e., "in connection with the sale . . . or advertising of any goods or services," and within the jurisdiction of the Lanham Act, there is a violation only if his use also creates a likelihood of confusion among customers. 15 U.S.C. § 1114(1). Moreover, the only important question is whether there is a likelihood of confusion between the parties' goods or services. Bird v. Parsons, 289 F.3d 865, 877 (6th Cir. 2002). Under Lanham Act jurisprudence, it is irrelevant whether customers would be confused as to the origin of the websites, unless there is confusion as to the origin of the respective products. See also Daddy's Junky Music Stores, 109 F.3d at 280.

[59] Since its inception, Mishkoff had always maintained a disclaimer on the website, indicating that his was not the official website. In Holiday Inns, Inc. v. 800 Reservation, Inc., 86 F.3d 619 (6th Cir. 1996), we found the existence of a disclaimer very informative, and held that there was no likelihood of confusion, partly on that basis.

[60] In Holiday Inns, the plaintiff hotel chain used the phone number 1-800-HOLIDAY for its guest room reservation hotline. Holiday Inns claimed a Lanham Act violation when the defendant company, a business that profited by taking reservations for several hotel chains, used the phone number 1-800-H0LIDAY (with a zero instead of an "O") in order to take advantage of any calls misdialed by customers seeking Holiday Inns' hotline. We found no Lanham Act violation, partly because the defendant played an unmistakable disclaimer upon answering each call, explaining that it was unaffiliated with Holiday Inns, and providing customers with Holiday Inns' correct phone number. Id. at 621. We found that the defendant was, in fact, directing business to Holiday Inns that otherwise would have been lost, and although some callers chose to do business with the defendant, others hung up and called Holiday Inns. Had it not been for defendants' service, Holiday Inns would likely never have recovered many customers who had misdialed. Id. at 625.

[61] We find the analysis here indistinguishable from the disclaimer analysis in Holiday Inns.*fn4 Mishkoff has placed a conspicuous disclaimer informing customers that they had not reached Taubman's official mall site. Furthermore, Mishkoff placed a hyperlink to Taubman's site within the dislcaimer. We find this measure goes beyond even what was done by the defendant in Holiday Inns. There, a customer who reached the defendant's hotline in error had to hang up and redial the correct Holiday Inns number. Id. Here, a misplaced customer simply has to click his mouse to be redirected to Taubman's site. Moreover, like Holiday Inns, the customers who stumble upon Mishkoff's site would otherwise have reached a dead address. They would have received an error message upon typing "shopsatwillowbend.com," simply stating that the name was not a proper domain name, with no message relating how to arrive at the official site. Hence, Mishkoff's website and its disclaimer actually serve to re-direct lost customers to Taubman's site that might otherwise be lost. Accordingly, we find no likelihood that a customer would be confused as to the source of Taubman's and Mishkoff's respective goods.

[62] b. December 7 Injunction -- The "sucks" Site

[63] In regard to Mishkoff's "complaint site," Taubman claims that Mishkoff's use is necessarily "in connection with the sale of goods" because his intent behind the use of the names "taubmansucks.com," et al., is to harm Taubman economically.

[64] In Planned Parenthood Fed'n of Amer., Inc. v. Bucci, No. 97 Civ. 0629, 1997 WL 133313 (S.D.N.Y. March 24, 1997), aff'd, No. 97-7492, 1998 WL 336163 (2d Cir. Feb. 9, 1998), the defendant usurped the domain name "plannedparenthood.com" and created a website displaying anti-abortion pictures and pro-life messages in clear contradiction of the plaintiff's stated mission. Id. at *1. The court there found that, although not selling or advertising any goods, the defendant's use of Planned Parenthood's mark was commercial because he had used plaintiff's mark and attempted to cause economic harm. Id. at *4. (noting that Lanham Act is applicable because "defendant's action in appropriating plaintiff's mark has a connection to plaintiff's distribution of its services).

[65] Following Planned Parenthood, Taubman argues that all cybergriping sites are per se commercial and "in connection with the sale of goods." However, Planned Parenthood, as an unpublished district court opinion, is not binding on this Court, and is nonetheless distinguishable. Even if Mishkoff's use is commercial, it must still lead to a likelihood of confusion to be violative of the Lanham Act. 15 U.S.C. § 1114(1). In Planned Parenthood, the defendant used the plaintiff's trade name as a domain name, without the qualifying moniker "sucks," or any other such addendum to indicate that the plaintiff was not the proprietor of the website. In contrast, "taubmansucks.com" removes any confusion as to source. We find no possibility of confusion and no Lanham Act violation.

[66] We find that Mishkoff's use of Taubman's mark in the domain name "taubmansucks.com" is purely an exhibition of Free Speech, and the Lanham Act is not invoked. And although economic damage might be an intended effect of Mishkoff's expression, the First Amendment protects critical commentary when there is no confusion as to source, even when it involves the criticism of a business. Such use is not subject to scrutiny under the Lanham Act. In fact, Taubman concedes that Mishkoff is "free to shout 'Taubman Sucks!' from the rooftops. . . ." Brief for Respondent, at 58. Essentially, this is what he has done in his domain name. The rooftops of our past have evolved into the internet domain names of our present. We find that the domain name is a type of public expression, no different in scope than a billboard or a pulpit, and Mishkoff has a First Amendment right to express his opinion about Taubman, and as long as his speech is not commercially misleading, the Lanham Act cannot be summoned to prevent it.

[78] For the foregoing reasons, we REVERSE the decision of the district court and dissolve both preliminary injunctions preventing Mishkoff from using the domain name, "shopsatwillowbend.com," and the five "complaint names" listed above.

(And extend a hearty round of appreciation to Charles Carreon, who articulated this argument on dnforum.com, where our law clerks picked up the analysis.)

I sleep well tonight:razz:

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good going Charles! I've been arguing for years that "typosquatting" is not the same as cybersquatting if the user is directed to the properly spelled domain in some way by the alleged typosquatter and there is a disclaimer. Business that would have been lost completely was forwarded by the alleged typosquatter to the properly spelled trademark holder. Yet the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals didn't see it that way.

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by HOWARD
I've been arguing for years that "typosquatting" is not the same as cybersquatting if the user is directed to the properly spelled domain in some way by the alleged typosquatter and there is a disclaimer. *** Yet the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals didn't see it that way.

I have often opined here and elsewhere that much of the bad law made in the field of the Internet has to do with large corporate interests simply overwhelming uninformed judges (and their law clerks) with bad ideas and painting "the black hat" on the domain name investor. Early creation of a "white hat" image in the court's mind can be very valuable. Yet, it is often easier said than done.

Kudos to Hal Meyer, the Dot Com Cowboy, for sending me an email about this case. I got it last night just before bedtime, and darned if it didn't scream to be posted ASAP.

Thanks for the comment, Howard. The law is often nearsighted, overpowered, poorly directed, and yet, somehow manages to guide society.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"I'm right that domain names are speech"

So, you've given up the idea that they are property, then?

charles

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why would one exclude the other? Indeed, we could simply add the right to utilize the domain name as a vehicle of free expression as one of the property rights available to the owner.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just rattling your cage, Charles.

But if it is speech, it is an odd form of speech in which your "saying something" deprives me of the ability to say it as well.

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Actually, I agree with Charles. Domains are property that you can never "own" but rather "lease" for a specific period of time so long as you pay the "rent". By the same token, they are verbal (written) expressions that are more than just addresses for the property, but tend to describe the nature of the type of property that is being addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom