Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Person Cybersquatting People's Names - Can plaintiffs combine forces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was referring to single first and single last names. It IS NOT illegal to own them.

Ah, well sorry. The way you put it made it seem like you meant first and last name, as in well, first AND last names together. I think the word you might have been looking for was OR rather than AND.

Nevertheless, even a first OR a last name can be an unlawful registration.

Your case below may be an exception. Don't give me a case study to prove me wrong.

Well, if you had read the link, you would see that it is a statute, not a case. But, like 98% of the ignoramuses on this board, you'd rather not read something that might educate you on the issue. You simply know instinctively what the answer is, and decided that you'd spew your uneducated answer out so that the other 2% would wind up as stupid as the first 98%?

Keep your law education to your practice. I don't need to know that

Well that's a brilliant perspective from someone without any legal knowledge. You a) have no knowledge, yet b) you spew that non-knowledge, but c) you don't want the knowledge out there for others to read?

Try getting a few I have and I will make sure they will bleed. Literally!

Oh you will? Well, as the song says, "If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough."

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Marc,
Over the years, I know how the law works. I use my own laws. I don't rely on so called authority figures like you to deem what is right and wrong. And I certainly do not rely on statutes to determine my actions. The law does many a things to side with the unjust. We don't need examples of that. Or do we?

How long since you played golf with O.J?

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
make believe example: Danisha Laprot

Is it a coincidence that those letters can be re-arranged to spell "A Danish Portal"? Hmmmm....

No, but seriously: people who register others' full names to try to sell them to those people are being scummy and deserve bad karma.

"But where's the harm?" and "Why didn't those people register their own names?", you ask. Well, they probably didn't feel they needed to register their names if they didn't intend to publicize themselves online ... but it's still disconcerting for someone else to own their names, who could then easily besmirch their reputations. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it couldn't or won't. (Kind of like the Sword of Damocles ... or chess grandmaster Aron Nimzowitsch's dictum that "The threat is stronger than the execution.")

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Easy, folks. We could pretty much argue all eternity whether the specific act
being described here is right or wrong, but the fact is a certain U.S. law does
state one can be held liable for it under specific and limited circumstances.

Outside those specific and limited circumstances, that doesn't make the act
totally illegal. Killing isn't totally illegal, right or wrong under any and all kinds
of scenarios other than defined by any applicable law or ideal agreed upon by
certain people.

And I think the OP got the answer s/he sought, anyway. :)

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Marc,
Over the years, I know how the law works. I use my own laws. I don't rely on so called authority figures like you to deem what is right and wrong. And I certainly do not rely on statutes to determine my actions. The law does many a things to side with the unjust. We don't need examples of that. Or do we?

How long since you played golf with O.J?

Ok, well let me know how using your own laws works for you. I'm going to use my own physics next time I go skydiving -- it will save me a bundle on parachute maintenance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom