Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Photography Related Domain Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuj291

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Me and my friend were looking forward to open a professional Photography site

Needed some suggestions with the domain name...

she wanted the whole domain to be something like

name.photography
name.fotoshoot

etc...

So do the words like foto (not photo), thru (not through) etc... be a good thing to use in a domain??

secondly does the use of a dot between name and other word make sense -- as in is the usage of dot ok??

Please suggest

Thanks
ANuj

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What works best for me is spelling the word commonly used not abbreviations or slang terms. I work with real estate agents all the time and grind my teeth when I see Sallys_Homes_4_Sale or MyBestHomezForSale. I would avoid if I can.

Subdomains I believe are typically used for indexing a particular part of the website like billing.fotoshoot.com always awkward in my opinion.

FYI to add to your photography business buy your geo keyword domain name "cityphotography.com" , seo well and it could be your best friend.

Last edited:

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I work in photography every day. I'd say keep it just as real words; photography, photoshoot etc. I see a lot of sites with words misspelled, and in photography, it's generally regarded as unprofessional.

Plus using real words may help with SERPS.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It was best explained to me by a photographer: they will spend thousands of dollars on gear but never consider a great generic or a descriptive domain that is available for purchase. In a profession that manages thousands of dollars, they opt to invest cents with regards to domains.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO even a 4 letter.com is better than a play on words. There are some decent brandables floating around too.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Go with the brand in the name rather than trying to brand the name.

In other words, if photo is the business go with the keyword in the title.

As for foto, pix, pic, vid, and so on... these are the perfect keywords to add into the metatagging and other seo.

electronic

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
FYI to add to your photography business buy your geo keyword domain name "cityphotography.com" , seo well and it could be your best friend.

Listen.

Domainmonster.com

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Secondly does the use of a dot between name and other word make sense -- as in is the usage of dot ok??

Just to make it clear - you can't use dots in domain names themselves (so you wouldn't actually register something.fotoshoot.com).

However - As long as you own, in this example, fotoshoot.com you can specify whatever.fotoshoot.com afterwards.

DropDay

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would suggest an expiring domain, one which already has some traffic on it, one with age and history,
there are alot of them dropping every day, you could save alot of seo work by getting an aged domain with good parameters.v

here is a simple search i just made,
i chose all domain with a google keyword, which include the word "Photo", ans sorted by the number of searches per month for the keyword.
the result:
http://www.dropday.com/index.asp?Page_Name=All_Dropped_Domains&domain=photo&pos=2&field=22&dir=desc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom