Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Plural vs. Singular

Status
Not open for further replies.

jca

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
fbworm.com - Site about the fbworm
fbworms.com - site about all fbworms

Assuming the site is about different (plural) worms, but more keyword traffic comes from the singular "[fb or whatever] worm" searches? Which name would you choose then?

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you have money, buy both. That will erase all doubts.

If you're selling a product, take the plural form.

toy.com vs. toys.com
car.com vs. cars.com
mobilephone.com vs. mobilephones.com

in the case of:
video.com vs. videos.com
homevideo.com vs. homevideos.com

I prefer the singular form because it is easy to pronounce.

WhiteLight

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Plural is normally worth somewhat less than the singular version of a domain but it depends on the name. Shorter the better but not for many types of web sites. Try to get them both for various reasons. As for traffic, it could vary for many reasons.

One example is:

I own the singular version of a generic one word business domain and it is a dot cc generic domain to boot. When the website of the exact Plural name advertises, I get surges of traffic to my domain. I would speculate that I am getting a substantial portion of their business on a regular basis.

I offered them the domain name at a reasonable price several times but they refused. They actually hung up on me (bless their hearts) about the fifth or sixth time I called them, to sell them the name that they really need!!! Just trying to help them is all.

Not only dot com's can make money parked. CcTLD's can make revenue as well! I lucked out and reg'ed the domain after the company went under. It came at page rank 1 and ready to roll as it was an online business several years. Even the blind chicken gets a piece of corn once in awhile.

"Oh well", I suppose I will continue to borrow their high conversion ratio costumers at virtually $8 a click thru if they don't want to see the light and buy it. It has made as high as upper XXX a month ppc revenue over the past 3 years. Just a cash cow. It makes me feel a little bit guilty about taking their business as they are probably losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in gross revenue a month to my domain name that makes only low pcc revenue. But what can I do?

Many end users need to be taught via the phone in order to sell them, more often than not. They are not always the brightest stars in the sky when it comes to domain names. We are not salesmen as much as we are teachers, it sometimes seems like to me. Excuse me for digressing a little.

Namaste
(\ (\
( - -)
((') (')

Last edited:

Drop And Cover

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am interested in your opinions on singular vs plural in the case of developing informational sites on the .info extension.

At the moment I am putting together a site about vampire bats and I have both vampirebat.info and vampirebats.info. With any other extension I would go for VampireBats.tld but with .info you have the TLD as part of the brand, sort of. In that case, "vampire bats info" doesn't make sense, the singular does. But I'm eager to get some input on this.

Thanks in advance.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1) Plural domain name has likely higher chances to be available then the singular word
2) Singular reflects person / entity's about his business / service and Pluar might reflect about the entities and people in that business / service

For Ex :
SEO.TLD reflect about search engine optimization services
and SEOs.TLD reflect about the SEO / SEOs companies services / product - Providing the lsit of SEOS !!!

Hope it helps..

Last edited:

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am interested in your opinions on singular vs plural in the case of developing informational sites on the .info extension.

At the moment I am putting together a site about vampire bats and I have both vampirebat.info and vampirebats.info. With any other extension I would go for VampireBats.tld but with .info you have the TLD as part of the brand, sort of. In that case, "vampire bats info" doesn't make sense, the singular does. But I'm eager to get some input on this.

Thanks in advance.

I would make the decision based on search volume because the search engines view singular and plural keywords differently.

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I usually let user search queries make my decisions. For example, I checked some discussed in this thread on Vurr.com (i.e. AOL search data). Results were:

toy - 78 / toys - 635
car - 771 / cars - 3613
phone - 231 / phones - 127
video - 547 / videos - 3624
foam - 42 / foams - 0
boat - 128 / boats - 1304
hot girl - 115 / hot girls - 1096
report - 50 / reports - 20
television - 215 / televisions - 153
letter - 34 / letters - 84
worm - 17 / worms - 123
vampire bat - 9 / vampire bats - 29

Assuming I could only reg the singular or plural, I would go with the one highlighted.

Mind

Rainmaker
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all depends. I have extracted some statistics, and for some words singular is more preferable but for others plural. It also depends if it is two words (or more) together. Combination with other word can change situation in reverse. So if you use G to check results count, always use both words with quotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom