Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

"PM SENT" type replies no longer allowed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
*This thread was copied here from the original thread created in the Gold Forum - Domains Wanted Area to continue discussion*

Please familiarize yourself with the rules before posting. "PM Sent", "Anyone else", "Still looking", etc ... type bumps by the thread starter or thread responder are not allowed.

http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=123497

Thanks

Upvote 0

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JEsports... "Pm sent" was always been used to notify the thread starter (who is subscribed to it) that a PM has been sent...also in a situation where others are interested in a name and offers are made it helps to stay advised by subscribing to the thread and receiving updates..also how is ANY thread suppose to get any exposure if there are no replies in it and it just drops down the list, don't we pay to have otherwise and actually have some action on our threads? If you don't mind me asking I think myself and others would like to know why this is such a big deal and why it's even an issue all of the sudden?

Chris

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thread starter does not need extra notifications that he/she has been "sent a pm." They already get an email stating they have received a PM or a popup box which tells them they have received one if they choose to turn on the option.

This was a rule implemented by Admin/Moderators after careful consideration of all issues relating to unnecessary bumps.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I completely and totally respect and understand your point, however do you realize how little exposure our threads will get if nobody posts anything in them?, one of the most common posts is "PM sent" and opens the dialogue in the thread as well as let's other people know there is competition or interest in a domain or offer, which vastly helps sales for the sellers.. Most times we ask for a PM in the opening as alot of the information, questions, or offers we get are'nt for the public eye to see, or we want it private for certain other reasons..but if nobody can post a reply like "PM sent" then our thread just drops down into never never land very quickly which is totally unfair because if we can't bump it then we have to just start a new redundant thread to replace it..and it's not like you can just go bumping threads anyways as for the most part it just automerges into the last post made by yourself.
Alot of times the offers or things we want or look for do not come right away in the first few hours or even the first day of a thread sales/wanted post and we are clearly short changing ourselves by changing a system that has always worked, I feel this might even have the capacity to LOWER the amount of offers and responses and thus the domain business done here on DNF and we surely don't want that do we? Is there a middle-ground here? Maybe a 1 bump limit, period of time rule, etc etc? There are some vast harmful implications related to this heavy handed "dont post" approach with our threads and it needs to be thought out and explored...this is a forum is'nt it? Forums are for posting.

Should we all just switch to classifieds and do away with threads and posts all together for sales or wanted items?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You also have the option for thread notification through email, so I doubt the thread starter will not be aware of a new PM.

-=DCG=-

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmm....well is there a capacity issue for threads or something?
Was there some massive bumping that crashed the system and caused this recent change if you don't mind me asking? I just don't see where the problem is if you respond to an offer and post "PM sent"
That way thru no fault of our own the popular subjects stay on top and the ones that nobody responds to drop down on the list, kind of like a "natural selection" process of the forum and it's members and their postings in the said threads. If those postings are'nt made it screws up the way it works naturally..

I just have a strong feeling this will result in more double and triple thread posts of the same thing when people don't get the response they are used to here on DNF...and everyone is gonna keep posting "PM sent" for a long time anyways...since we have always done so until now...this will be a headache for the mods and most likely people will get points and warnings and in the end it's just gonna be a mess.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
prose said:
I think we just need to be specific that those interested can ask questions inside the thread.
It is allowed to post questions in the thread, of course. This is totally different from posting "PM sent" which is actually a useless bump post.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
I completely and totally respect and understand your point, however do you realize how little exposure our threads will get if nobody posts anything in them?

If the thread starter feels as if the post did not receive enough response ... He/She may then add new and useful information that may help get more response. This is the only "bump tactic" permissable, and is only allowed to the Thread Starter.

Mocus said:
one of the most common posts is "PM sent" and opens the dialogue in the thread as well as let's other people know there is competition or interest in a domain or offer, which vastly helps sales for the sellers..

There should NOT be any "dialogue" in a Domain/Website Wanted thread started in which the thread creator requests notifications by PM. If you feel there needs to be "dialogue" then you need to pm it to the thread starter and not publically in the forum. As far as "vastly helps sales for the sellers" .. I dont see how a "pm sent" is needed to help the seller make a sale (I assume you are referring to the Domains For Sale section now instead of the Domains Wanted area). If there is vast competition or interest in a domain, I am sure the thread starter will let you know via pm of other offers received if they so choose too.

Mocus said:
Most times we ask for a PM in the opening as alot of the information, questions, or offers we get are'nt for the public eye to see, or we want it private for certain other reasons..but if nobody can post a reply like "PM sent" then our thread just drops down into never never land very quickly which is totally unfair because if we can't bump it then we have to just start a new redundant thread to replace it..and it's not like you can just go bumping threads anyways as for the most part it just automerges into the last post made by yourself.

It is also not fair for a new thread starter to have his/her thread sunken down to the bottom continuosly because of unnecessary bumping from other threads with no new/useful information. Again, I resort back to my first response ... If the thread starter feels as if the post did not receive enough response ... He/She may then add new and useful information that may help get more response.

Mocus said:
There are some vast harmful implications related to this heavy handed "dont post" approach with our threads and it needs to be thought out and explored...this is a forum is'nt it? Forums are for posting.

And what "vast harmful implications" are you referring too? This is a forum you are correct. It is also a business, and we are trying to make it more professional by weeding out unnecessary bumps having no new/useful information at all. I don't see your argument as how "PM SENT" replies are so important to your success as a dnforum member.

Mocus said:
Should we all just switch to classifieds and do away with threads and posts all together for sales or wanted items?

If thats what you'd rather do, knock yourself out ;)

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if you say so.......:rolleyes:

- the "adding additional info" loophole sounds perfect..I'm gonna go try it! hehehe..time to look up all those oldies but goodies of mine that did'nt get any action! yipeeeeeee

j/k

Chris

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mocus said:
if you say so.......:rolleyes:

- the "adding additional info" loophole sounds perfect..I'm gonna go try it! hehehe..time to look up all those oldies but goodies of mine that did'nt get any action! yipeeeeeee

j/k

Chris
Go ahead and try. You need some new warning points.

Read the rules page, it's vey clear. Do not try any tactics.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?t=77923

We are trying to make this a more professional business forum so that the ones who are here to make money, can do so more professionally. We as mods do our best to enforce the rules decided on by forum administrators. Therefore, we will continue to enforce these rules to the best of our abilities so please respect that and try to follow the rules given. The rules are here for a reason, and not here to cause you inconvenience.

Thanks

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
GiantDomains said:
Go ahead and try. You need some new warning points.

Read the rules page, it's vey clear. Do not try any tactics.

whoaaaaaaa...please be nice, I hate those warning point thingees... :-(

but I surely love GiantDomains the best of all..I don't know what it is...
I am just like a glutton for punishment..kinda like my ex g/f was..

I shall not bump a thread.

(not that I do really..but like just in case)

Axioma

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I always use "PM sent" as a way to keep track of those threads I've already sent an offer or any info via PM to the poster. Almost every time I forget to make a "PM sent" post, I end sending duplicate PMs. This is plain... whatever, I'm feeling frustrated here, but I guess there are other places to do that. I'll try to take note with a paper and a pencil of those threads I've replied the poster via PM.

PS. When is trader rating coming back?. Why do I get redirected to the homepage when I click on the 'View First Unread' link ?. :mad:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well now you get warning points for that...its bad.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In your PM box, you can select "Sent" messages. If you have a problem remembering who you pm'd ... it should be in your sent box. If you want to Subscribe to the thread ... Then click on "Thread Tools" in the upper right hand corner and select Subscribe.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
T

tekz999

The point is to gain awareness to the public that I am considering his offer, and the public is welcome to submit a better offer and pm me if necessary.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with you but based on the new "rules" you just illegally bumped your own thread it would seem...perfect example

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tekz999 said:
The point is to gain awareness to the public that I am considering his offer, and the public is welcome to submit a better offer and pm me if necessary.

Not trying to argue here. But I always viewed it that way also.

Otherwise comments, questions, answers in sales threads are not necessary at all, just do it through pm is what all this boils down to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom