Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Poll: Who is Really Making a Living at This?

What Percentage of Your Income is From Domain Name Sales?

• 100% - This is all I do to pay the bills.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • 50-100% - Most of my money comes from the DN Biz

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 25-50% - I'm involved in several fields & DN Sales really help

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Less Than 25% - I make a few bucks at it but not enough to live on.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • 0% or less - I have made no income from it yet (there is always hope!)

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PrimeDNR

You are great!
You are really great. How can you do that?

You are my big brother!!

Jesus, you really love him, don't you?

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Options

Yes I do!

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey PrimeDNR, don't you guys from Hong Kong have a lot
of cheap product for sale?
You should have some advantage here.

PrimeDNR

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by options
Hey PrimeDNR, don't you guys from Hong Kong have a lot
of cheap product for sale?
You should have some advantage here.

Hi options

Yes. There is a lot of "cheap product" for sale. But they are not all good products.

I would like my site to emphasis of quality of services rather than just lower price. Hence, I am still learning to gain more customer to breakeven. Not to say make living.

Regards

PrimeDNR:eek:

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thinkaholic
I make 100% of my living on the Internet. I would say 90% of it comes from domain name reselling. The other 10% is from my network of websites and design work. This 10% will continue to grow and will turn into a very steady income, but it does take work. All of my success revolves around domain names, though.

Hi Thinkaholic,

I just saw a few of your sold websites and I have feeling that some of them were underpriced.
It's not just domain name reselling, it is a lot of work sold.
However, you just proved that to be the only possible and logical way for full time earnings.

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Hi Thinkaholic,

I just saw a few of your sold websites and I have feeling that some of them were underpriced.
It's not just domain name reselling, it is a lot of work sold.
However, you just proved that to be the only possible and logical way for full time earnings.

They may have gone for more, but that's what they went for and I accept that. It's been mentioned a thousand times, but a domain name is only worth what someone will pay for it. It just depends on who that someone is. Sure, I can keep waiting for that perfect buyer with millions of dollars to finally make an offer for one of my names, but why wait? I make a very decent living using the techniques I have learned work for me. I've had to learn from my mistakes along the way. Everyone does.

Because I have developed so many sites, I know the tricks to make developing a site much easier and much faster. It takes me very little time to develop a website once I've got the ideas in my head. I've sold many domain names and websites within 24 hours of registering them. It's all a learning process, and if you keep at it, you'll be where I am before you know it.

We all need role models. I have my own, too. If I can be one to others, great! I'll help as much as I can.

Just don't start stalking me! :D :laugh:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thinkaholic I make 100% of my living on the Internet. I would say 90% of it comes from domain name reselling. The other 10% is from my network of websites and design work. This 10% will continue to grow and will turn into a very steady income, but it does take work. All of my success revolves around domain names, though. Here are my latest Ebay auctions. http://www.developeddomains.com/ebay It's been a roller coaster ride over the past 7 years, but I think domain names will always be a viable business if you know what you are doing. This means registering the "right" domain names and knowing how to get them before others do. It is a game, but a serious one with serious players. I guess I consider myself a success story. It's hard to admit it to yourself. I started small and worked my butt off to get where I am now. In 4 years, I went from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 5 bedroom house. I just bought a new Mustang Convertible (it's sweeeeet!) and work from home full time. It involves long hours (it's 1:02am now), making mistakes, and moving on. But the sacrifices are worth the rewards. I don't want to sound like a broken record from a get rich quick scheme, but I really do get to spend more time with my family, buy crazy toys because I can, make my own hours, eat out every night if we want to, and basically do what I want. I'm always thinking of new ideas (hence the name thinkaholic) and I am a workaholic. I love what I do and give it 110% so I don't have to go back to the corporate world and make someone else rich. Tried it....hated it....quit it.

I was a newbie just like everyone else here was at one time. But given the opportunity, commitment, and desire, you can come out on top. thinkaholic has now stepped off the soapbox and left the building...

Thanks, one of the best, most inspiring and thought provoking posts I have ever seen.

There is one thing I would like to ask you about regarding your developed websites. Do you design them yourself or have a software program which does it semi-automatically perhaps?

One of my problems is the time and expertise required developing web-sites. I am constantly looking for a software program to to this, possibly a self-replicating one, but no success at finding it.

Also, can you suggest an ebook which explains in easy to follow detail how to sell web-sites on eBay? Thanks.

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, one of the best, most inspiring and thought provoking posts I have ever seen.
amen to that!!!

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

There is one thing I would like to ask you about regarding your developed websites. Do you design them yourself or have a software program which does it semi-automatically perhaps?

One of my problems is the time and expertise required developing web-sites. I am constantly looking for a software program to to this, possibly a self-replicating one, but no success at finding it.

Also, can you suggest an ebook which explains in easy to follow detail how to sell web-sites on eBay? Thanks.

I'm glad it helped and hopefully inspired you and others to set their own goals and go for it!

I develop all of my websites. There's no automation to it, but I've done it SO many times, I can do it with my eyes closed. The only thing I outsource is programmers. I could do it myself, but it saves me time by hiring someone else. Money well spent, I say.

As far as selling websites on Ebay, it's a process that is learned and works best for you. My techniques may not work for you, but I just recently posted what I do when I sell a site on Ebay.

I use Ebay to sell all my domain names and websites and have had a pretty good success rate, I'd say.

You can check out my past auctions at http://www.developeddomains.com/ebay

I always do the following.

1. Always BOLD (Only $2 and it makes it stand out more than a highlight)
2. Always Feature it ($19.95)
3. Never use the gallery or featured gallery.
4. Start all auctions at $1
5. I never use the Buy It Now option. Too risky since someone could set up a bogus account, buy it now, and not pay. Some sellers will do this so their auctions have less competition.
6. I always make my auctions private. Many bidders don't want to be shown that they are buying a domain name. They'll get mass spams from other sellers trying to sell them other domain names. This also protects me, since many users will email your bidders to try to pursuade them not to buy or they have something better, etc. Bad business, but it does happen.
7. Make your description as detailed as possible. Remember, this is your sales pitch to buyers. Make it good!
8. Use the free counter. It will show buyers (and you) how popular the auction is.

These are my personal preferences, so you'll have to decide what is best for your auction and what you want to spend.

Most of my auctions are for complete websites and yahoo listed domain names, so they have more value, but it should work for single and multiple domain names as well.

It feels really good to hear compliments from other users. Thank you. I will continue to do my best to help others.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, highly appreciate that.

I never use ebay to sell my domains but still making money out of it buy and sell and auction. With your experience, I guess I need to expand my prospective buyers.

I will re-assess my option for ebay.

Thanks again.
tw.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thinkaholic

It feels really good to hear compliments from other users. Thank you. I will continue to do my best to help others.

Feel free to ask me any more questions. I'd be happy to answer them.

How much are tomatoes in California.
Here in Netherlands are very expensive after introduction of Euro.
:D

No, the real one:

So, you don't use any affiliate programs, banners...
I guess pay-per-clicks are still in the game.
How much time do you put a site into traffic before offering it?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thinkaholic I'm glad it helped and hopefully inspired you and others to set their own goals and go for it! I develop all of my websites. There's no automation to it, but I've done it SO many times, I can do it with my eyes closed....I develop all of my websites. There's no automation to it, but I've done it SO many times, I can do it with my eyes closed. The only thing I outsource is programmers. I could do it myself, but it saves me time by hiring someone else. Money well spent, I say.......Feel free to ask me any more questions. I'd be happy to answer them........I could do it myself, but it saves me time by hiring someone else. Money well spent, I say.....

Getting back to the developed sites, do you have a shell htm file you use and simply make changes to it?

Do you use a website design software program or only use Notepad, mostly designing the site yourself?

Also, since you can design a site with eyes closed why do you hire a programmer at all and justify his high fee. I see some of your sites are only a few hundred dollars. The programmers I talk to all want $100 to $200-hr. and say a small job could easily take 2 or 3 hrs or more. If you spend that much on a programmer how does it pay selling the site for small amounts? Thanks again.

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

So, you don't use any affiliate programs, banners...
I guess pay-per-clicks are still in the game.
How much time do you put a site into traffic before offering it?

Yes, I do use affiliate programs and ppcs, but in a different way. I only use them on domain names that I register with already established traffic. I know how to market a site and get the word out, but that takes a lot of effort and sometimes money. I'd rather keep a site if I did all that for it and try to make it back. A buyer has to realize that I am not going to sell a 100% turnkey site with domain name, website, traffic, customers, etc. If I did that, the price would be MUCH higher. I'm selling a complete business to them, but they have to find a way to get customers.

So, basically, if I build a site from scratch, I don't promote it before I sell it. To me, that's not my job. That will be the job of the new site owner. If I build a site on a domain name with already established traffic, that gives it more value and hopefully the buyer will realize that. It is up to me to convince them to buy this site and I do that by making my ebay descriptions very detailed with lots of graphics, screenshots, charts, etc.

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames

Getting back to the developed sites, do you have a shell htm file you use and simply make changes to it?

Do you use a website design software program or only use Notepad, mostly designing the site yourself?

Also, since you can design a site with eyes closed why do you hire a programmer at all and justify his high fee. I see some of your sites are only a few hundred dollars. The programmers I talk to all want $100 to $200-hr. and say a small job could easily take 2 or 3 hrs or more. If you spend that much on a programmer how does it pay selling the site for small amounts? Thanks again.

I use NetObject Fusion to put together all of my sites. I use a variety of graphic programs to make logos, buttons, etc.

I've been using these programs for a long time, so I know exactly what to do to get the results I want.

I only hire programmers for software development. When I hire them, I get full rights to the code. They get paid, and I get a prgram I can use over and over or even resell if I want to. If it costs me $300, fine, I know I can make that back in no time. Now, I have a script I can use on unlimited sites. I can resell it to make even more money, too.

sjp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain sells are 100% of my income..
I spent 1000 on domains this month and brought in $6,500
Plus a bran new Submariner Rolex.

I have only been in the game for since April, However I am a quick learner and find all the tricks..

I only believe in .COM names and always will.

I find buyers and when they email me back I capture there email address.
THen 1x a week (If not busy) I email my names to to the buyers on my list.
I dont care if I sell a name for $100... I only paid $8... I sell around 3 a day at $100 and hit $1,000+ deals around 2X a month.

I really wish I new how to set up my domains with affiliate sites, I would love to use my names that have a 100,000 typ-ins as affiliates..

Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all..

So you should probably repost your poll, and ask who is making a living simply buying and selling domain names instead of this mixed up jumble of answers :).

If you are actually interested in how to make money on the Internet, there are some good ideas in here, but the poll is really not answering your original question at all.

-t

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sjp

I find buyers and when they email me back I capture there email address.
THen 1x a week (If not busy) I email my names to to the buyers on my list.

That is called SPAM.
You should email only those who requested that from you, or
in some cases your previous buyers.
In any case you should ask in your first mail if they want future
offers from you.

options

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by thewitt

If you are actually interested in how to make money on the Internet, there are some good ideas in here, but the poll is really not answering your original question at all.

-t

I think it does.
We have been talking about buying and selling names.

It also answers some fundamentals such as whether to sell
a good domain or use it for own business.

Generaly, it gave obvious answer(at the first sight):
Keep the good names, develop it and sell it only for the proper price, as a turn-key business.
Sell average or bad names, preferably slightly developed, which
is a must for bad names (developing).

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Full Time.

Started late 1997.

First sale late 1998.

10% of my income is from developed domains, but improving.

90% from domain name resale.

4:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M. almost everyday since the beginning.

Thank God for Mrs. Duck

Who's quazy?

quack :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom