Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Pool (aka others) in attack position for .EU names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only on .eu names. They are not "going to kill" when there are several hundred. The names will just be scattered out amoung them. In addition, I am sure GD doesn't hold much stake in the .eu names.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aha, so is not the momentous.ca guys, as I thought...

I spoke today about the issue of 400 new registrars to GoDaddy and asked the rep how they will accept to lose many sales because of other registrars being more technically prepared then them.

The rep was sure about his words, no hesitation there: “Sir, we have all the measures in place to counter balance the 1 second limit imposed by EURid”. I was really surprised, since I never mentioned him about the EURid rules. He assured me that the registration will be much faster then one domain per second. I asked him: “The only way to do it is to have several registrars working under your umbrella and hammer the EURid server at the same time.” He said he could not comment on this issue, but that many backbones are set for the critical time on April 7th, 11:00.

Do you guys think that GoDaddy have also several “hidden” registrars working for them, in order to make sure they don’t lose business?
Honestly, I think they should do this. Many people registered with them and we are talking about millions of dollars in extra revenue over the years, well worth the investment for a company like GoDaddy.

Let me know what you think.

T

tekz999

pool and snapname will win, because they have the resources. Simple.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What makes you so sure that Pool and Snapnames have more resources than GD? As far as I know GD is a bigger registrar than both of them.

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jdk said:
Only on .eu names. They are not "going to kill" when there are several hundred. The names will just be scattered out amoung them. In addition, I am sure GD doesn't hold much stake in the .eu names.

Actually it is 400 registrars, and they could 'kill' the opposition.
400 registrars working together has the power of 4000 registrars working singly. It must be hoped that with so many registrars they cannot operate them all efficiently.

The 400 registrars are listed in NY and there is nothing to link them with snapnames or anyone else. They are new companies with new phone numbers. They are keeping their identity a mystery.

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Something fishy is going on. Strange coincidence that whole batches of them hail from exactly the same places. Many dont have a link to a site and the ones that do all have the same site template.

kiran

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Think german names, consisting of 2 words. There are many, many words left. generic spanish, italian, french words also plenty available.
I think april 7, in the long run, will create a nice sum of mony for many.

TECK

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read this:
http://www.eurid.eu/en/general/news/news.2005-10-28.2617992246
Even though EURid has a strict “one company, one agreement” policy (which only allows one registrar agreement per legal entity), separate legal persons that form part of the same group can still become accredited registrars.

Accredited registrars are free to limit the number of requests they will accept and set up their own pricing policy. However, we would like to warn all the interested parties against paying excessive prices.

Any sort of selling places in the queue by auction is also not allowed, since the “first come, first served” principle has to be respected by all accredited registrars.
and this:
http://www.eurid.eu/en/general/news/beware-of-unauthorised-pre-registrations
However, it has come to our attention that some registrars are 'pooling' the pre-registrations they accept with those of their partner registrars with the intention of auctioning to the highest bidder the first place in the queue for that name. This is in clear breach of the EU regulation and the EURid registrar agreement.

Those registrars who participate in such activities risk having their agreement terminated and so will be unable to submit the pre-registrations they have accepted.
Will Pool still go for auction style domains? They risk to have all domains revoked.

kiran

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the 400 registrars all come down to 1 company, then it seems to me that this company takes a huge financial risk (400x10,000=4 million euros).
I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

Having many registrar accounts is not enough to be successful april 7th. You got to be smart with the 5 IP’s per registrar you can use to send requests to EurID + you should think about physically placing your servers in different locations/countries.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In view of the current .eu sunrise farce Pool et al must be thinking that .eu regulations are here to be circumvented after all :bowl:

binaryman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just received the following reply from EURID in response to my question as posed earlier on in this thread.

Dear Sir,

As you have seen on our website, we do have registrars from all over Europe and many other countries including the US. All accredited registrars shown in our list are separate companies who all have separate agreements with EURid.

If two or more registrars choose to cooperate it is nothing that EURid can have an opinion about. There are for instance already many European registrars with subsidiaries in more than one country for which each local office is an accredited registrar with EURid.

EURid's concern is that all accredited .eu registrar should be able to help its customers in a good way and be following the EC regulations and the registrar agreement regardless of which country they are from.

Kind regards,

The EURid team

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I am glad, I can pay more if there is better chance to get it...

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows if the .eu will take off. It might be like .us in its early years when many generics were available.
The ccTLDs in Europe are very strong (de, uk, even es) - is there a place for .eu ? who knows.
I will wait and see how they trade in the aftermarket.

wohl

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
kiran said:
Think german names, consisting of 2 words. There are many, many words left. generic spanish, italian, french words also plenty available.

thanks for the suggestion, but I don't speak german, spanish, french or italian. If I pick up a translator and start applying for words I don’t understand I’ll register heaps of names that are probably worthless.

kiran said:

What is a nice sum of money? 10 euro, 100 euro, 1000 euro? Whatever the amount, it will be a tiny fraction of the amount it would have been if the .eu launch had been run properly.

kiran

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was writing a reply to your e-mail and wasn't sure if I spelled the word 'availability' right (I'm dutch) so I googled it, 827million hits. I tried it in EurID's whois and it's available! (availability.eu).
It just goes to show there many good names still available.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It will "really" be available after all the registrars will finish regging everything that's in their lists.

Vermillion

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I pre-reg'd 2 .eu names with gd last night.Checked the whois.eu database and my first is shown as having two companies competeing who registered a while ago - fair dues.The second showed no applicants oddly enough.The third even more strangely said it was already registered - yet I gathered nothing was set in stone thus far.Big telecom comp n'all.(whistles)Try typeing
domainname into search engine at whois.eu, u'll see what I mean.Is this fair practise or does a geo-nearness to Brussels help.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom