Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

PR updates...I have Major Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Newsflash! Google PR has nothing to do with anything on your website itself.

I think google would differ with that:

Introduction

The heart of our software is PageRank™, a system for ranking web pages developed by our founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin at Stanford University. And while we have dozens of engineers working to improve every aspect of Google on a daily basis, PageRank continues to provide the basis for all of our web search tools.

PageRank Explained

PageRank relies on the uniquely democratic nature of the web by using its vast link structure as an indicator of an individual page's value. In essence, Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. But, Google looks at more than the sheer volume of votes, or links a page receives; it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. Votes cast by pages that are themselves "important" weigh more heavily and help to make other pages "important."

Important, high-quality sites receive a higher PageRank, which Google remembers each time it conducts a search. Of course, important pages mean nothing to you if they don't match your query. So, Google combines PageRank with sophisticated text-matching techniques to find pages that are both important and relevant to your search. Google goes far beyond the number of times a term appears on a page and examines all aspects of the page's content (and the content of the pages linking to it) to determine if it's a good match for your query.

Integrity
Google's complex, automated methods make human tampering with our results extremely difficult. And though we do run relevant ads above and next to our results, Google does not sell placement within the results themselves (i.e., no one can buy a higher PageRank). A Google search is an easy, honest and objective way to find high-quality websites with information relevant to your search.

Domain Days 2024

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Right...on page stuff matters when it comes to search engine rankings, but not the PR number itself.

Thanks for proving my point...

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, heres what I say..

if they want to talk about their PR , let them..

If someone trys to sell you a site based on PR, then you can lecture them about the story behind pr and etc etc

But, the thread is just about what has yours updated too.. that simple

Every thread doesn't need to turn into a back and forth meaningless discussion.

and thats just my .10 as a regular member now :)

Thank you SouthernTN.

-------
Daniel,

you claim
Right...on page stuff matters when it comes to search engine rankings, but not the PR number itself.

Thanks for proving my point...

Seems you may want to further clairfy where the split occurs between SERP and actual PR.

The link you posted was from Monday, December 20, 2004 4:34:38 PM.
Is this still currently how G's definds PR? In Feb of this year G's made some major adjustmests to it's algorithm that I don't believe Ian takes into account. Can you either confirm or deny this?

I won't go so far as to say I read and understood all that was on that page (http://www.iprcom.com/papers/pagerank/).
So, maybe instead of getting angry and posting one line blanket statements you can help us all here by educating us in layman's terms to what Ian has layed out?

-------
Congrats to those who have earned higher PR, and as Daniel pointed out, more so to those who have hit 6+. It gets harder (read longer and more quality work put into a site) to acheive those numbers.

:)

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not angry at all.

I thought this was common sense, but I guess it isn't.

Pagerank is simply a measure of how many other websites and pages link to pages on your site. As you can see from this link above, the calculation for this is really complicated (I certainly dont understand all of it) but the basic idea of it is if you get other sites with high pageranks linking to your site, your PR will improve.

In the grand scheme of things, PR is only one of many factors that affects where you rank in search engines (SERP). Other factors include: unique content on the page, page titles, ALT tags, H1 tags, Meta tags and the like.

So you can have a really high PR, but if your site isn't designed with proper SEO in mind it wont do you much good. I have a new site (been around for about 45 days, PR0 so far) which currently gets 100-150 visitors per day from Google alone (and other 50-100 daily from Yahoo) because there is lots of keyword filled content.

There, now I am smiling :) ... and hopefully some of you found that helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom