Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Predicting Mergers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Two very large companies are planning on merging.

Merger rules means the name must change and normally combines the two.

Both names will be protected on thier own but could also relate to other items ie:
'Friendly' 'Oil Wells'

Should I reg the .com in anticipation of the merger or could I just be asking for trouble?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cjj said:
Two very large companies are planning on merging.

Merger rules means the name must change and normally combines the two.

Both names will be protected on thier own but could also relate to other items ie:
'Friendly' 'Oil Wells'

Should I reg the .com in anticipation of the merger or could I just be asking for trouble?

What do you intend to do with the .com?

cjj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unofficially resell.

Officially - anything that doesn't get me in court?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a better idea. Why not stand next to a wall, brick is better than drywall for this, and, starting slowly, begin banging your head against it. Now pick up the pace a bit. Make sure it hurts a lot. Now, while you are doing that, pick up the phone and to the best of your ability (don't stop banging!) arrange to have all of your money transferred to the accounting firm of the bigger of the two soon-to-be-merged companies. Without stopping the headbanging, now call the press and tell them who you are, and that they will be giving you some coverage soon, so any background or bio questions they have, you would be happy to answer now. Tell them not to let the banging noise or your screams of pain bother them, it's all a part of the process.

Or... you could develop an original idea and choose not to be a cybersquatter. Now that I am thinking of it, that may be the better way to go. Up to you though. :goofy:

cjj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(MovieDomains - don't get on your high-horse about this process because covering industry is what most people do - including a few names I'd like to mention on your site).

I wont be cybersquatting if I had the name myself before their company existed. This is the power of speculation?

If it were a house which they built and I lived in I would be a squatter. If I build the house for the pupose of rasing my kids (my development) then it's my house and if they wish to buy it off me they can try.

So if the site is left empty or not, they can not claim that my plans for the site have not been made can they? I can prove dates of writing them etc without having a live site is that enough?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how speculative you are being. If there is merger talk going on (which your original post implied) then it is really too late to play innocent builder, isn't it?

I stand by my advice, which is to forget about cybersquatting and develop an original idea.

cjj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But buy the name and develop with the idea?

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cjj said:
I wont be cybersquatting if I had the name myself before their company existed.

Yes you would. Don't fool yourself. You aren't fooling anyone else, and you sure as hell wouldn't fool any lawyers.

cjj

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
You guys can all save your breath.

He has been warned.

Let him go thru the process.

And, that will be the last time he touches a hot stove.
Everyone is very aggressive on this forum. I was simply asking for your advice.

And I listened, have not bought the name and thanked you for your advice - I don't thank you for abrupt comments, insolent assumptions that I'm ignorant and inferences that I was born yesturday!

I'm not some idiot hell bent on doing what I want without listening to anyone, and you had no reason to think this.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Don't take what everyone else posted here badly, cjj. You asked for advice &
you got them, though it's not what you expected, I'm sure.

I actually thought as much about what you're planning to do. I just wanted to
hear it straight from you to make sure.

In any case, you'd best pay attention to what they said...unless you're a risk
taker. :-D

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My advice was meant to be humorous, not an attack. I apologize if you took it that way.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of my postings (not all of them) are positive and encouraging.

I go out of my way to avoid confrontation with large corps and their lawyers.

I would rather miss an opportunity than to have my life turned upside down with
legal proceedings.

There is nothing worse than laying in bed all night wondering if you will receive another
round of threatening legal documents the next day.

Another problem many people do not take into consideration when fighting with a major
corporation is the ego of the management. The last thing they want to do is "lose face" among their fellow workers, stockholders and competitors.

Even if you are in the right, a major corporation can make your life H*LL.

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The one point the was missed in this thread, the speculative domain name, would it have names of the 2 established company? If you answered "yes", then you know it a TM issue already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom