Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Proper domain etiquette, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am compiling a list and would like the help of fellow users to add their tips.
Remember these are etiquette tips a newbie should be told before they crosss the line by accident.

These will be compiled once we have quite a few.

I will start,

If someone asks your opinion on a name and it's not registered don't under any circumstances go register it on your own.

If your on a domain forum and you see a post that you want to reply to, make sure you can add to the thread in a positive way or don't post.

If you put a domain for sale and your BIN has been met, you must sell the domain.

Do not spam anyone with a domain or website you want to sell.

-=DCG=-

Domain Days 2024

spriggy

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DotComGod said:
I am compiling a list and would like the help of fellow users to add their tips.
Remember these are etiquette tips a newbie should be told before they crosss the line by accident.

These will be compiled once we have quite a few.

I will start,

If someone asks your opinion on a name and it's not registered don't under any circumstances go register it on your own.

If your on a domain forum and you see a post that you want to reply to, make sure you can add to the thread in a positive way or don't post.

If you put a domain for sale and your BIN has been met, you must sell the domain.

Do not spam anyone with a domain or website you want to sell.

-=DCG=-

If you are selling a domain also put the registrar and when the expiry of the domain is.

Wired

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't ask someone how much you think your name is worth...

then you are so nice to make a comment;

and the next sentence is, "you wanna buy it"? :greenupset:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wired said:
Don't ask someone how much you think your name is worth...

then you are so nice to make a comment;

and the next sentence is, "you wanna buy it"? :greenupset:

lol
don't ask someone how much the name is worth.....then get mad and argue with that person, because you don't agree with his evaluation!

when a sale is made, be sure to thank the person for doing business with you, as well as update his/her trader rating.

picassoface

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't intentionally post lowball offers on good/great names, ie: $1 for website.com ... At least post 1/4 of what you'd be willing to pay :)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For Sales threads....
READ THE RULES before you start posting and you can avoid making comments in sales threads like...
"Too rich for my budget"
"How come you think it's worth that much"
"If I had the money I wouldn't say that was a good price"

In other words .... If you are not making an offer .... read it and move on...

Because it is not within your budget or mentality does not mean it is over priced.
The seller is allowed to ask any price they want....don't like it....MOVE ON.

Read the sales threads request..
If it asks for PM offer....PM your offers.
If it asks for posted offers...Then post your offer.
If for some reason you want to vary from the request PM the thread owner and check with them.....

Not really MENSA calibre requirements to live here...just consideration and READ THE RULES...

Jim

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are posting in the correct forum instead of just thinking a mod will fix it.

webfreak

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When buying a domain name, pay and/or contact the seller immediately after you receive payment information.

When selling a domain name, push, transfer and/or contact the buyer immediately after you receive payment.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are selling a name at auction and do not list a reserve, you must sell the name for the current price at the end of the auction.

Follow through with a sale when you make an offer and the seller accepts it.

italiandragon

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do Not Try To Scam People Adding Fake Stats!!!!!!!!!

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Following thru on sale time limit parameters.

DomainFatigue

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When asked for offers, don't PM with "What do you want for it?" That's not an offer folks. And adding "I've been doing this for 5, 6, 7 (take your pick) years," means nothing either. Many of us have and aren't impressed... Make an offer or don't respond. It's that simple.

NavySeals91

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
lol
don't ask someone how much the name is worth.....then get mad and argue with that person, because you don't agree with his evaluation!

when a sale is made, be sure to thank the person for doing business with you, as well as update his/her trader rating.

I love that one. Personally, I laugh my arse off when I see people argue because someone thinks the name is below what the registrant thought it was worth...hilarious.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
biggedon said:
lol

I had this on in chat the other day. Guy argued with everybody for hours because he did not agree. Ugh!

-Bob

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dont appraise in a sales thread.
Dont SHOUT!
To quote another domainer "Be cool. Be polite. Be professional."

One more, If you post sold in a sales thread PM the seller dont just assume they will pm you.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't say your interested in purchasing a website or domain and then not have the courtesy to respond when the seller sends you an email or PM.

nts

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always thank the person, or donate F$ is asked, when you register a name off a 'domains available to register' list.

Be ready to accept a domain push to your account when you buy a domain. Don't wait until after posting sold and say "I need to register at someregistrar.com before you can send me the domain, I'll get back to you". If you're already registered, try and be quick when sending your push details. Don't make the seller wait. Same goes for buyers, you should be ready to push a name, or send payment details when you are selling domains.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check the date of the last reply before adding to a thread. Pulling up long-dead threads is a classic Newbie move (I did it...once).

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do Not Try To Scam People Adding Fake Stats!!!!!!!!!

It shouldn't have to be mentioned, but please don't inflate traffic/revenue stats.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Treat other members as you would be treated.

2. Tell the truth about what you believe a domain is really worth in an appraisal thread, and only provide reasons you genuinely believe support your position.

3. Accept that an appraisal thread starter does have the right to respond to and refute what he or she considers a bad appraisal in a reasonable and polite manner. Accept that any other participant in the thread can do the same.

4. Avoid snide and unduly sarcastic remarks, especially when disagreed with or when disagreeing with another.

5. Be straight and reliable in all business dealings, including and especially when attempting to purchase a domain at a low price. Only buy low when you can do so without the slightest trace of chicanery in a completely honorable and scrupulous manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom