Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Public Service Announcement: Possible risk scenario for coastal residents of Atlantic

robmonster

Epik.com CEO
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For the last 37 days, a volcanic eruption has been in progress on the island of La Palma in the Canarias in the eastern Atlantic. The last major eruption in 1949 confirmed the existence of an unstable shelf along the western-facing coast running along the length of the island. The unstable shelf weighs an estimated 500 billion tons and slopes steeply down at approximately a 60 degree angle -- effectively a free-fall. The significance of this latest eruption is that there is a theoretical risk of a tsunami that could be triggered by a notable earthquake, e.g one of 6+ magnitude. In light of a 4.9 quake yesterday, this will serve as a courtesy PSA for awareness of members of the DNF community that may reside in low-lying coastal areas, notably in Florida where many domain investors are known to reside.

For those who wish to learn more about this topic, there are a few livestreams of the ongoing eruption, e.g. this one:

Ongoing seismic activity is being reported here:

For anyone interested, the main academic work that reported this risk scenario was published about 20 years ago by 2 academicians named Ward and Day. You can read it here:

It is also attached for convenience and posterity.

Hopefully this all amounts to nothing!

Attachments

• La_Palma_grl.pdf
    750.3 KB · Views: 0
Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We've had some volcanic activity with Mount Aso—the largest active volcano in Japan—in the past 4 or so days. I think it erupted with a plume, and not a lava flow like this though. Having grown up in Washington State (but not being alive for it) and knowing how bad Helens blew, it can still pose a danger.

Hope all is well there and no tsunami from this. The sheer power of what the ocean can do amazed me after the 2011 tsunami that hit Japan.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the PSA Rob.

It would be nice to get more updates on the data breach though.

Like when you answered here.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I don't believe in volcanoes, never had exp of them, even if they are real, they can be artificialy made using special combos of chemicals, some scenes are filmed using green screen and CGI, to support a globe fairy tale, but no one had experience of a molten core or other space fairy tales.
P.s. flat earther here.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is the pumice washing up on our shoreline now.

PSX_20211030_172414.jpg

I don't know the ecological impact of it all. Our coral is already in bad shape.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to find out this is an artificial way to grab Islands for personal benefits, the recipe.
1.make a hole into a mountain.
2.drop some megatones of reactive chemicals into that hole, just like in School small experiments.
3.and voila we have a volcano which scares everybody of our beautiful island so we can grab it.
IMO

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ah, I was wrong about the volcano here. We had an underwater eruption, which is surprising to not have a tsunami as even landslides underwater have been known to.

We're still getting pumice washed up daily.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators