Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question about domain reselling

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPowerBuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Dan and I am fairly new to DNForum. I recently started a domain name reseller account at WWD and I have a couple questions hopefully the "old hats" here can help me with.

1. Besides the obvious direct sale of domain names and services, what are other ways I can make money with my site. Can anyone give me any links to sites that I might research?

2. I am trying to sell some of my domains on eBay and was wondering if anyone has any tips about successfully doing this.

3. I want to try and market my services to the Rockabilly/Swing/Lounge subculture and was wondering if identifying a primary target group like that is the way to go?

Thanks,

Dan

TPT

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just put a few of my domains up on ebay during their 50 cent insertion deal yesterday. So far almost no views and no offers. I still have a few days left on these auctions, so I'll see.
I'm not expecting much out of it, from what I read on some of the forums, but for a total cost of under $5, I figured I'd give it a shot.

The only other way to make money with your sites would be to park them somewhere (like sedo). I'm new to this also, but I've finally hit on a couple of keywords that are showing some promise.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan

1. if you build your site up to a high pr value, you could sell advertising space on it

2. never sold on ebay.........sorry

3 finding a niche' market is always a good thing!

iPowerBuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi TPT:

Thanks for the reply. I also have my domains parked at Sedo but I think I have made $0.28 so far this month. :huh:

How did you configure your keywords? I put in an average of four per domain. Maybe my domains just stink!

Do you also have a domain reseller account with someone? If so, with whom?

Thanks again,

Dan

TPT

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dan,

I only have a couple of keywords per domain, but it took a bit of trial and error to get ones that started getting results. I've made a few dollars so far, nothing great, but I'm still learning ;-)

My best domain so far has a 25% click rate (5 clicks on 20 views) in under 4 days. It's an adult domain and the keyword is xxx (go figure) and I have another adult domain with the same keyword that has a 3.33% click rate. I really think part of this business is luck.

I'm also trying to develop some of my sites, but working a full time job and having so many projects going on with my home business makes it tough to put time aside for the non-critical projects that I want to work on.

As for a domain reseller account, I use eNom. I also run a small web hosting business and eNom integrates directly with WHMAutopilot, so that was an easy decision. One nice thing about eNom is that once you hit the higher plateaus, you can ask for better domain pricing. So, you can start out with a low initial outlay but with a higher cost per domain and work you way up to better pricing.

Fred

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
when optimizing domains in sedo, make sure you ckick on the magnifying glass icon next to the name. You will see an example of what comes up for your viewers to click.
Optimize the keyword (and doesnt use more than 2) to fit your domain best.

iPowerBuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good information, everyone! I think I will edit my domain keywords and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Dan

nicpal

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

There are many things to consider when selling a domain either on Ebay or through brokerages like Sedo. I have had some good luck selling on Ebay because it is a larger target audience and alot of deep pockets who may pay above and beyond what a domain is worth if the ad is worded right. However you do have those who post very bad domains on Ebay for extravagant prices which leads to alot of domain investors to not check the listings due to weeding through the majority of garbage. That being, said you can also get some steals when buying there as well. So try it out and see what you think.

I would park your domains with Sedo to make some extra cash on the clickthroughs. I made the mistake by not doing this earlier. Even if you plan to develop any of the domains at a later date it still helps parking the domains there because Sedo gets the domain indexed in the search engines alot quicker than you would by even paying, providing more traffic, if and when, you are ready to launch a site for a domain.

Alot of members here try to target one category when purchasing domains. I have done it and still do. However don't limit yourself to this exclusively. While you still wish to go after these select domains to corner this market, go through the pending delete lists and grab names that you think will sell or that appeal to you and park them on Sedo. More times than not, you'll make back way more than your registration fee over the course of a year and grow your business to boot!

iPowerBuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Nicpal:

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

I usually check out DeletedDomains.com and have found a few good names on that site. In fact, the only sale I have made to date (Newbie, heh.) was a name I found there and registered.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Regards,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom