Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Quite concerned about potential impact of unlmited new tld's

Status
Not open for further replies.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The clout of search engines is overrated. The power of domain names does not lie in SEO exclusively but also in branding.
Hint: some TLDs are clearly more brandable than others.
15 years ago people were already predicting domain names would become less relevant because navigation would be driven by the search engines... that thinking is especially popular with those who missed the boat ;)
It's normal to have doubts, a decade ago domainers were wondering if .biz or .info were going to dilute their portfolios. But today we have more hindsight.

The ccTLDs are not really affected, except perhaps the countries that have regions with claims to autonomy/independence (Catalonia is an example).
To take another example: .nyc, I could see some local use but I'm skeptical it has the potential to be really big when .us is shunned and remains underutilized. .xxx was hyped and widely expected by some but now that the plate is on the table the meal is less appetizing. There is a gap between expectations and reality.
Have you noticed the phenomenon of domain fatigue, with one new TLD launched per year on average it's increasingly difficult to justify how the latest extension on the market it's so much different than the previous one...
Even domainers are starting to understand the game :smilewinkgrin:

To sum up: more vanity domains on the market, more failures, registries going bankrupt and of course many newbies will continue to feed the food chain. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No insider information at all. I am mostly making an educated guess or assumption based on it making sense that the new extensions will be able to resolve if for little more reason (as someoone else mentioned) than it would be dumb to typein google.google so I believe a browser/server upgrade will make than unnecessary in the future but I could be wrong.

huh?

google will still use .com, until they get .google or they may not even want it or need it, since no other company/person could apply for it.

so the logic could/would apply for all other tm branded companies who already use .com

there is a lot more to this process than just registering a domain name, as each potential registrant of a gtld would have demonstrate that they are qualified to manage an extension.

some critieria for these new gtlds:

"$185,000 application fee, deadline March 29th

The applicants are judged on their security, stability, linguistic capabilities and ability to operate an Internet registry, among other things.

The evaluations are based on a 350-page document spelling out 50 questions and criteria by which answers will be judged.

Applicants for new domain names must show they can operate their piece of critical Internet infrastructure so it isn’t vulnerable."

source:

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/...ying-key-role-in-adding-internet-domains.html

this company is in Chicago, so maybe I'll put in an app :)

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The Latest Number of TLD Application System Registrants
As of 25 March 2012 the number of registered users in the online TLD Application System (TAS) stands at 839. However, this number does not necessarily represent the total number of applications since each registrant can apply for up to 50 new generic Top-Level Domains.

http://newgtlds.icann.org/en/program-status/statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom