Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Rackspace's Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember Rackspace had reasonable prices for dedicated servers. When I spoke to customer service they told me there starting server's go for $400.

Has Rackspace gone Space Rocket with their prices or what!

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I remember Rackspace as always being more than the budget dedicated providers, but aren't they only doing fully managed servers?

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I heard rackspace has the best network out there.. is that true?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rackspace is pricey, but reliable.

With that said, budget dedicated hosts are fine for many folks...

But if your site gets many thousands of visitors daily -and- is doing much commerce, discount hosts may cost you much more in the longrun - what's the cost of being down? -what's the cost of no backup? -etc... one gets what they pay for.

If looking for something cheap and reliable, check out Verio - their sales page is likely no help, but call and inquire - occasionally, they'll have extra dedicated servers for cheap; from my past experiences with Verio, they don't meter bandwidth as strictly as Rackspace - more leeway for overages.

Ron

weeps

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You have to pay for quality.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I posted links to two datacenters where I have servers.
I also had a server with RackSpace and it was a terrible experience, costing me DAYS of downtime and hundreds of thousands of lost visitors. Really.
ev1 has been a fantastic experience, as has The Planet.
These are not 'budget' datacenters, the prices are average, if not slightly expensive once you get a fewupgrades, such as a hardware firewall, upgraded memory, or additional hard disks.
How do you decide? Good question.
Take the advice people give you, plus do your own research, contact the companies, and see what the best scenario is for your situation.
What I recommend is get an unmanaged server & an outsourced tech to work for you, someone you can consult when you have something thats beyond the scope of your talent. This way, you have your server, and you have a tech that knows it inside and out. With rackspace, you get whoever is on the clock. This can cause problems. Then you get into the he-said-she-said situations when the server is down and nobody can fix it and puts the blame on all the other techs. That's what happened to me and I was furious. My account manager ripped up the contract I had signed committing to a year of service, and let me go find a new host with no penalty. They're lucky I didn't sue, but there was really no case considering the disclaimers involved, so that would have been a big waste of time anyway.
I wouldn't wish anyone I know (or have seen around on this board) to have a server at rackspace. Unless you like pulling hair.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
^^^ I hear you - downtime can be so unbelievably frustrating

I recommend you check out www.webhostingtalk.com - their forums are specially for hosting and servers etc

joeny

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had severbeach , rackspace ,

The best AND i MEAN best service I ever had and I am still using today is:

GODADDY.COM

I am telling you 100% uptime for 6 months straight@!

Really and I have sites that get some traffic.

Plus they are really cheap , I only pay $130 for plesk 30 domain cp , 500gig bandwith and so much more!

They really do have the best I feel ,

Oh and the best part 24-7! Live Tech support!

Joe

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
liquidweb is cheaper (allthough not cheap) and has a good reputation.

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. but this was the first good thing i have heard about them.

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The Planet is the best in my opinion very reliable datacenter, and very nice support, I colocate a few servers there, and can lease them out to you, send me a PM if your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom