Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Rackspace's Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
slavahosting said:
The Planet is the best in my opinion very reliable datacenter, and very nice support, I colocate a few servers there, and can lease them out to you, send me a PM if your interested.

Why don't you PM me the specs of the available ones, including a rough pricing estimate, and how much setup & software will cost.

glw

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been with Netsonic.net for a while on a couple of dedicated servers and push about 2 million uniques and 700 million pages a year. With only the most minor of issues.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
I posted links to two datacenters where I have servers.
I also had a server with RackSpace and it was a terrible experience, costing me DAYS of downtime and hundreds of thousands of lost visitors. Really.
ev1 has been a fantastic experience, as has The Planet.
These are not 'budget' datacenters, the prices are average, if not slightly expensive once you get a fewupgrades, such as a hardware firewall, upgraded memory, or additional hard disks.
How do you decide? Good question.
Take the advice people give you, plus do your own research, contact the companies, and see what the best scenario is for your situation.
What I recommend is get an unmanaged server & an outsourced tech to work for you, someone you can consult when you have something thats beyond the scope of your talent. This way, you have your server, and you have a tech that knows it inside and out. With rackspace, you get whoever is on the clock. This can cause problems. Then you get into the he-said-she-said situations when the server is down and nobody can fix it and puts the blame on all the other techs. That's what happened to me and I was furious. My account manager ripped up the contract I had signed committing to a year of service, and let me go find a new host with no penalty. They're lucky I didn't sue, but there was really no case considering the disclaimers involved, so that would have been a big waste of time anyway.
I wouldn't wish anyone I know (or have seen around on this board) to have a server at rackspace. Unless you like pulling hair.

So far it seems that EV1 is the closest to my needs and budget at this time. It's really important to me though cutomer service and down time. I have used discount (non-dedicated) web-hosts, and have had from 1 hour to a day & a half of down time, sometimes the entire server & sometimes the
DB system. It gets me really tense, when I know that by saving 10's of dollars I will be losing my customers, and the "were working on it", doesn't help me much.

Thanks again.

Arsenik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
slavahosting said:
The Planet is the best in my opinion very reliable datacenter, and very nice support, I colocate a few servers there, and can lease them out to you, send me a PM if your interested.
I keep trying to find where the planet offers colocation services but i only see their dedicated server services... could you point me to their colocation services page? or did you have to contact them in order to colocate with them? :huh:

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are confusing "Rack Shack" with "Rack Space".

"Rack Shack" is now EV1 Servers and they were quite a discount provider.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
who are you talking to?
In response to the original post on this thread.

"Rack Space" and "Rack Shack" are slightly confusable. Rack Space has never been a "low priced" server provider.

LazyD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Arsenik said:
I keep trying to find where the planet offers colocation services but i only see their dedicated server services... could you point me to their colocation services page? or did you have to contact them in order to colocate with them? :huh:
Here ya go
http://www.theplanet.com/colo/

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ServerMatrix is a division of The Planet - imho RackSpace is much worse than ServerMatrix. I actually like The Planet very much.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yup..the planet is great, since coming on to the hosting scene, servermatrix especially -- has really out performed just about everybody. been with em for 2+ yrs...they rock :)

marketing

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ev1servers.net use to be rackshack - they are now everyones internet = EV1servers.net

They are by far the best server provider for dedicated servers that I have used. I have several servers through them and they always provide good support and very good quality hardware for the price.

If you have your own OS and cpanel to install - you can save a lot of money by leasing a server that has nothing installed on it. The prices are about half of the ones that come with apache and cpanel or plesk installed on them for you. EV1 does not offer this option but you can find servers without OS's via a search on google.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Perhaps you are confusing "Rack Shack" with "Rack Space".

"Rack Shack" is now EV1 Servers and they were quite a discount provider.

I don't think so, but maybe your right. In any case it seems like EV1 Servers has got a quite reasonable reputation here, with budget pricing and reasonable service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom