Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Regarding affiliate links and liability

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical situation:

You own and operate a web site that contains affiliate links. If a visitor buys a product from your site through one of these links and is injured from the product, are you partly to blame? Could you be successfully sued if the visitor takes legal action?

To those readers that have affiliate links on their site, are you worried about this possible scenario?

burgerman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Is a TOS good enough in all cases? Let's say you have affiliate links to a phone battery supplier. If site visitor buys a phone battery through one of these links and the battery explodes (which they're known to do) and scars the person's face, I could see them still including you in a lawsuit.

Does anyone else agree?

silverclick

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

Is a TOS good enough in all cases? Let's say you have affiliate links to a phone battery supplier. If site visitor buys a phone battery through one of these links and the battery explodes (which they're known to do) and scars the person's face, I could see them still including you in a lawsuit.

Does anyone else agree?

I think it is possible for someone to get mad at a company and sue it and all its affiliates

Best way is to setup a corporate entity for liability protection at the very least.

I would be interested to know what other people think as well ...

HuntingMoon

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
most affiliate agreements indemnify the resellers/publishers from product/service liability. check them out if you are concerned. a suit would probably be for contributory actions or misrepresentation or something else- point being that it can and does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom