Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register.com now worse than NSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't think a registrar could be worse.

They want you to be stuck paying their ridiculous $35 renewal fees.

Unlike other registrars that give you the transfer auth code online, they make you call them.

How do I obtain my Auth Code?

To obtain your authorization code please contact Register.com's Business Center between 8am - 6pm EST Monday to Friday at the numbers listed below:
Toll free within the U.S. and Canada: (877) 866-0045
Outside the U.S. and Canada: (902) 749-2056

I called and they said there's a 15 minute wait time for that department. :rolleyes:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
also

check the technical and adminstrative contacts if you have names at Register.com

they have been known to put "their" info there, so when you do a transfer request....the email goes to them.

it happened to me.

Rebel.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if a registrar does not have a tool for requesting the auth code online then they must accept a written request for the auth code from the administrative contact or registrant. They cannot make you call in for the code, its against ICANN.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not only do they make you call, but then once you're on the phone with the rep, they start asking "Why do you need the auth code? Why are you moving domains away?", etc etc

Even had one clown there start commenting on the domains I was moving out. That can be kind of embarrasing, especially when you own a domain like
nakedcrackheadhoochies.com

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I forgot about calling back. Got hit with a $35 renewal. Called back to get the transfer codes for all the names in my account. Had to wait 12 minutes. The rep asked why I was switching. I said one reason is having to make this call and the other is their ridiculous $35 renewal fee. She said she could work on the price and they make you call for security reasons. I said you don't make me call for security reasons, you make me call to sell me on staying. I said calling is no more secure than online. She said but we make you answer the security question. I said whoever hacks my account would change the security answer. She said I'm not going to argue with you.

dshop

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i backordered a domain , they wait 48 hours for changing whois

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if a registrar does not have a tool for requesting the auth code online then they must accept a written request for the auth code from the administrative contact or registrant. They cannot make you call in for the code, its against ICANN.

That's harder than calling and much less secure.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do I obtain my Auth Code?

To obtain your authorization code please contact Register.com's Business Center between 8am - 6pm EST Monday to Friday at the numbers listed below:
Toll free within the U.S. and Canada: (877) 866-0045
Outside the U.S. and Canada: (902) 749-2056

I need to transfer some out as well.
Just called, got an operator, she said I need to call back in the morning.
She offered to put me on hold for 10 minutes for a customer service rep to explain the same thing to me. Next thing I knew, I was listening to an on-hold message.

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just ran into this today trying to obtain an auth code for a domain I sold recently. It used to be that I could simply log into my account and get the code. Then it changed to "click here to send the auth code by email" which I did several times yesterday but never got any emails.

I didn't want to make the buyer wait any longer for the code so I called today and got the same inquisition you mentioned. "What are you doing with the domain, why are you selling it, bla bla."

They did email me the auth code very quickly but I didn't know that I would have to call for it, because I did used to get emails sent to me upon request. No more, I guess.

I thought it was just an email problem but I found this thread and now I know that this is happening to some of you people too. Yikes.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a short while you could get EPP codes online. Now these dirtbags make you do a survey on why would want to leave such a great registrar and then show this "Your request for an Auth Code has been received and your information will be validated for security reasons. If your request is approved, you will receive your Auth Code by email in 4-5 days."

They also give you a splash screen before the survey saying:

Stop!

Before you transfer your domain to another company, we would like to extend to you a special promotional offer to renew your domain. This is a limited time offer so please act fast to get this renewal rate.
Your Special Renewal Rate:
Renew your Domain Name for 1 year at $20.00*.

Last edited:

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got an email response 4 days later:

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "****.com" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service
Register.com

Now I have to call and get a sales pitch. I hate this company.

Edit: 20 minute phone call later and I have my auth codes. This lady could tell I didn't want a sales pitch when she asked me why I was leaving.

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Got an email response 4 days later:

You recently requested an auth code to transfer your "****.com" domain name.
Your request has been processed and at this time it has been declined due to recent suspicious activity in your account.

Register.com is committed to providing the most secure and reliable domain services for our customers.
We have implemented specific security measures to help prevent unauthorized transfer of domains to another registrar.
The type of suspicious activity that could have caused your request to be declined includes:
- Multiple failed attempts to login to customer's account
- Recent changes to the account holder's name, email address, or login ID
- Attempts to access the account over the phone without authorization
- Recent changes to the accounts password
- Domain name lock not removed
- Recent changes to billing or credit card information

To receive your auth code, please call one of our customer service consultants at 1.888.734.4783. They will confirm you to the account and then fulfill your request.

Thank You,

Sandy Ross
EVP, Customer Service
Register.com

Now I have to call and get a sales pitch. I hate this company.

Yep, they are the worst. Luckily I got all my domains out when it was easy to get the EPP code. However, I had a couple domains I wasn't planning on renewing and when they came close to expiring register.com started calling me 4-5 times a day, every day. I couldn't believe it.

stock_post

JewelryRelated.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep, they are the worst. Luckily I got all my domains out when it was easy to get the EPP code. However, I had a couple domains I wasn't planning on renewing and when they came close to expiring register.com started calling me 4-5 times a day, every day. I couldn't believe it.

They are sucking blood, how can they stop calling for that.
vampires on the go..

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unbelievable, i'm glad i've sold my last domain from Register.com few months ago

Vinnee

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We are not there target market :) There model will only last so long, too much competition and Godaddy is much cooler! However, I'm not a big GD fan yet the commercials rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom