Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register.com = Scam artists !

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with any Registrar BUT only with Register.com who make life as difficult as possible by trying to insist that you telephone them for auth codes, I am in the UK which makes it very difficult and expensive to call them and hang on the phone for 1/5 hour whilst they make their crap music to you.
I sent them an email asking them nicel to send me some auth codes but all they do is reply saying you have to telephone to get them.

Why are Register.com such scammy operators ?.

DG

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not see this as a scam, more as a security measure. They should provide a 1-800 number to make it a little easier, but again, not a scam.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with any Registrar BUT only with Register.com who make life as difficult as possible by trying to insist that you telephone them for auth codes, I am in the UK which makes it very difficult and expensive to call them and hang on the phone for 1/5 hour whilst they make their crap music to you.
I sent them an email asking them nicel to send me some auth codes but all they do is reply saying you have to telephone to get them.

Why are Register.com such scammy operators ?.

DG

I agree 1000% it's wrong, you don't have to call to buy the domain so why the call later? They are one of the companies I avoid, them and Network Solutions.

Good luck...

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I have to ring them up from the UK and take down all the auth codes in writing for all the domains ?. It is a deliberate and blatant attempt to make it very awkward for customers to move domains , it is NOT a security measure. I know of no other Registrar who does such things and I have dealt with many over past 15 years.

DG

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same problem, has to be far less secure with a phone call. Every time I call the Register.com operator says there will be less wait time later........complete BS

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats why I keep saying.... GoDaddy is the best place....

Got to say that Fabulous.com win hands down ,never any problem in many years ,and best security with questions and answers to transfer if you wish,rapid whois updates and transfers etc etc etc. And $6.85 for .com Cannot beat them. As for Register.com , I just sent complaint to ICANN as they pissed me off too much now.

DG

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is a real shame Snap uses them. I've had to skip on a couple $99 domains because I knew it was likely Register.com since they charge that price.

Run like hell.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not see this as a scam, more as a security measure. They should provide a 1-800 number to make it a little easier, but again, not a scam.

How is a telephone call more secure than logging in online? The only reason they force you to call is so they can try to convince you to stay with their lousy company.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to say that Register treated me very fairly recently. I'm in Ireland and wanted to transfer some domains. They rang me and made me an offer I couldn't refuse to keep the domains with them - lower than GoDaddy and with renewal for several years. I can't complain.

PapaStiz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How is a telephone call more secure than logging in online? The only reason they force you to call is so they can try to convince you to stay with their lousy company.

Exactly. Greg is right.

They try to save you as a customer and don't want you to transfer out.

I don't mess with them since I cannot do what I need to do online. If I cannot conduct an internet business over the internet, then I don't want to do business with them.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I salute anyone who makes such an effort to keep business. It seems they can't win. Either they're unhelpful or else they're only helpful because it suits them. The fact is, it suited me very well.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's nothing else than a customer retention ploy. I agree they make the transfer process unreasonably difficult and icann should do something about it. At the very least they should provide the epp codes by E-mail or online if you request so.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They cost me $45,000 when they lost my domain a few years ago. They claimed, six months after I bought the name, that an "internal audit revealed someone else had won the name 1/100th of a second earlier" than I had. So they took away my developed website. No. They can go to hell if they aren't there already.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They cost me $45,000 when they lost my domain a few years ago. They claimed, six months after I bought the name, that an "internal audit revealed someone else had won the name 1/100th of a second earlier" than I had. So they took away my developed website. No. They can go to hell if they aren't there already.

Can you elaborate on this? Did you register a name on their site and 6 months later it was still registered at Register.com?

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As far as I remember, ICANN advisory on transfers says that obtaining authcodes MUST be as easy as for example changing DNS or any other aspect of the domain name. Since register.com allows realtime DNS/contacts management, they MUST provide online realtime authcode retreival functionality. But not doing so, they are not in compliance with ICANN regulations.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That would be correct. Had I ever heard of such a thing, I would have moved the domain as soon as I was able. Instead, all I could do was move the rest of my domains away from them as soon as possible. I think this was in 2000 or 2001. I went through every channel in the book and made a complete nuisance out of myself to them and still nothing. Legal avenues were not available at the time though I did launch a protest with ICANN.

The story is on this site in a couple places (minus the domain name itself) but I don't remember the keywords I used in the text to search for it. Marchex owns it now, having bought out the guy who Register.com gave it to.

domaingeneration

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did deal with them last year. After I insisted on getting auth codes online, they provided by email.

DG

P.S. Based on my recent experience, another registrar to avoid is IPOWER or IPOWERWEB. After my transfer of several domains to Moniker, they charged me for renewal. I extended my professional courtesy and patience to them, asking for refund, but they didn't solve it after several weeks of communication. I guess they hire incompetent people.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's nothing else than a customer retention ploy. I agree they make the transfer process unreasonably difficult and icann should do something about it. At the very least they should provide the epp codes by E-mail or online if you request so.

Bingo!... That's what it's all about, "Retaining the customer".

I don't think it has anything to do with security... I've said this before, I think this whole EPP code requirement is a bunch of Bullsh*t! If they want to improve security, why not do what works? Emulate what Fabulous and Moniker are doing by adding Security questions when making changes or attempting to transfer out, Questions that ONLY the client would know. Our bank uses the same security.

If a hacker was successful at gaining access to your email account, and log into your Registrar account, WHAT GOOD DOES THE EPP CODE DO?

I'm extremely pleased with Fabulous as my Registrar, not only for the low prices and enhanced Security, but I know they wont be cherry picking my domains for their own interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom