Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register.com scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a few domains with this crappy registrar, and they are only there because I bought the handful of names from their elusive unpaid names department.

Anyways, just doing a few random domain checks and went to register.com to do a whois on the names and they come up that they are in the 'Unpaid names dept' again! I checked, all the names were in that list, and the expiration dates were all down one year from what I had paid for.

I was pissed, scared, pissed some more - called them and after a good 20 minutes on hold I got someone in the US (they still use US phone reps? I thought they were all in India and Phillipines..) and he looked up the names and they were all properly paid to Dec 2003 as I thought they should be. I told him to check out the whois on their own webpage and he said, 'hmm, that's odd'. He changed a few things and now the info is back to my info, but what the hell? How could a registrar have more than one database for their domains? You'd think it would be all based on one database internally for simplicity and so errrors like this don't happen....

So, all's well, but how weird.. Check out your register.com names if you have any.

-WC-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Register.com has the second most messy operation, just after Network Solutions. I am migrating all my domain names away from there, even though their NameBargain.com only costs $8.88 per name year.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I always felt that they were such NetSol wannabees. It's too bad that they don't take after Godaddy's model and offer better infrastructure and service. Businesses are content in paying more than the average for a service if they know they are receiving superior service with it.

As we all know, Netsol/Verisign/registrars is far from anything close to superior service - and Register.com is just above their par.

-WC-

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How did you go buy registering names from their unpaid department?. :)

RMF

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I heard that it was by calling them up and offering to register it for an extended period such as 5 years ...

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know, the last time I brought this subject up in WHT, people openly called me a liar. Please don't put me thru the wringer like they did. I have no motivation to lie.

I saw some names I wanted while perusing whois about 1 year ago and saw some names in the whois as listing an 'unpaid name department' as the owner. I called the number they had listed there, told the nicest girl I have ever dealt with there at Register.com that I was interested in these names (<something>.com/net/org). She took down my info, my CC, and said I would have them within 48 hours in my name.

Less than 24 hours later, they were. They charged me $35/name/year, and contrary to what NS said, I only had to pay for one year.

Note: This info is one year old, things may have changed since then. I may have just been lucky though, seems they have been pretty weird about names in their department for a while.

Who knows, I hope it helps someone.

-WC-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WildCard
You know, the last time I brought this subject up in WHT, people openly called me a liar. Please don't put me thru the wringer like they did. I have no motivation to lie.

I saw some names I wanted while perusing whois about 1 year ago and saw some names in the whois as listing an 'unpaid name department' as the owner. I called the number they had listed there, told the nicest girl I have ever dealt with there at Register.com that I was interested in these names (<something>.com/net/org). She took down my info, my CC, and said I would have them within 48 hours in my name.

Less than 24 hours later, they were. They charged me $35/name/year, and contrary to what NS said, I only had to pay for one year.

Note: This info is one year old, things may have changed since then. I may have just been lucky though, seems they have been pretty weird about names in their department for a while.

Who knows, I hope it helps someone.

-WC-
That's EXACTLY why they suck BIG TIME!

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't think they sucked when I got the names so quickly. :)

-WC-

Domainaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some people love netsol a lot - got flamed on WHT when I warned them of netsol and register.com - I decided it was best not to bother trying anymore.

WildCard

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Only people that don't know any better would say they love NetSol. I can't believe the folks at WHT seriously flamed you for warning against NetSol and Register.com. You sure a few of them weren't just joking around?

It's just like an understood _truth_ that those two companies have the largest shares, yet suck the most.

I have to wonder if maybe the people that slammed you were NSI/Register.com shills. You know they have to monitor that daily.

-WC-

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Domainaholic
Some people love netsol a lot - got flamed on WHT when I warned them of netsol and register.com - I decided it was best not to bother trying anymore.
I suspect they are somehow NetSol-affiliated: employees, business associates, friends of employees, etc. Like WildCard said, "only people that don't know any better would say they love NetSol". LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom