Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Require an asking price for Domains For Sale forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Since this site is geared towards more professional domain buyers and sellers I think it would be helpful if it was a requirement to post an asking price when listing a domain in the "Domains For Sale" forum. At least this way we could quickly know if the seller is out of his mind. I've PM'd 3 people asking "how much" for their domain and once I got the reply "Make me an offer I can't refuse". The other two times... no response at all. It seems very amateurish to insist that the interested party make an offer first. Don't these sellers have an idea as to what their domains are worth?

Upvote 0

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you can require them to do it - but I do know that I ignore any listings that do not have a price. The person listing is the one who wants to sell it, so they need to tell you what they want for it.

Can you imagine going to the grocery store and nothing is marked. You have to make an offer on every item to even get an idea what the store wants for it? That kind of marketing is better left on the streets of Tijuana in my opinion - but to each his own. If you don't want to sell it, then by all means continue listing it with no price.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree. If I wanted to make offers on domains, I would be better off searching the WHOIS for domains I really like.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
In my opinion, the seller should always start things. Afterall it **IS**their name. YOu do not go to a grocery store and take the things to the checkout and "MAKE AN OFFER" on your hamburger (or corn for you vegetarians).

This is one of the things that irritates me the most. People say their name is for sale but then say "make an offer". It boils down to them not wanting to sell for less than the buyer is willing to pay. My opinion is if you got your asking price, then what is the big deal?

If a person responds with "make an offer" I reply back "what range are you expecting". If they still say "make offer" I tell them "$20". At that point, they usually come back and say "No, I was looking for $500" (or whatever). Then I say "THANK YOU that is what I wanted to know in the first place". We could have saved 2 days and 5 emails if they had said that in the first place. . .

Comically enough, I used a grocery store example... After I re-read my post and got ready to post it, I read Duke's post and he used the exact same analogy. Duke, I was NOT copying you. I guess great minds think alike eh?

Rarely will I ever give a serious offer first. About the only time I do is when I want a name. More times than not, I have lowballed only to have them accept.

-Bob

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think this would be as simple to implement as putting a "Sticky" on top of the "Domains for Sale" forum saying "Rules for this forum -- Sellers must include an asking price".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators