Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Scarlett Johansson Wins ScarlettJohansson.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Area52

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope that in most of these cases the names are being awarded because of trademark violations, not because of one being famous?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You hope wrong.

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope that in most of these cases the names are being awarded because of trademark violations, not because of one being famous?

The two are *sort of* one and the same. Not exactly, but chances are, if a personal name is famous, then it *also* functions as a trademark.

Jeffreyw

Football Club owner
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
He could set up a personal blog with Tristan Dare's photos on it. Not related in any way to Scarlett Johanson the actress.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a Domainer and to be honest I will always give the Domainers side, no matter what, this is after all a business, everything is far in love and war, and Domaining business is kinda war.

Only where overreaching TM holders are trying to hold a dictionary word or common phrase hostage do I agree with you. I have no right to own 'Xerox' or 'Scarlett Johansson'.

First off, no matter what the other person argued, Scarlett Johansson would still have legitimate rights to the domain name. End of case.

What if MY real name was 'Scarlett Johansson' and I am, say, a personal trainer in Madison, Wisconsin who uses the name to promote herself and her business and has no interest in selling the domain? What if, perhaps, the non-famousScarlett registered the name in 1996 before the famous Scarlett was famous? Would the famous Scarlett be entitled to the domain in this instance (especially if the famous Scarlett were to TM her name)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom