Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sedo Sales - Offers?? Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a little dilema for the SEDO marketing people to ponder.

I recently listed a plethora of domains on SEDO and Parked them all on the SEDO nameservers.

Now for the last month I have been earning with SEDO Pro Half of what I was earning with Trafficz (daily)

What is of more concern is that I have had 8 offers on different domains.. Sounds Great Doesnt it?

All 8 offers were actually on AfterNIC ... I listed all my domains at AfterNIC for sale at the same time as parking with SEDO. I find it somewhat perplexing that so many offers came from AfterNIC members (4 confirmed $xxxx sales).

Can you shed some light onto why people are not submitting offers via SEDO? I have the same Price and Reserve on Both SEDO and AFTERNIC.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
sedo's parking rates are actually criminal. I park there because it of the opp. to sell. However i find the same thing, not too many offers. Partic. on .co.uk domains
Is it .co.uk domains you mean or all domains? The rates sedo are charging to sell .co.uk is very high, i think that puts people off. Plus they take sooo long to transfer any domain , that puts people off.
Dunno, not happy with them either myself at mo.
I may have a nother look at afternic!
cheers, Pred

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its all domains.. .co.uk and others.

AfterNIC process takes longer as they accept Checks as payment from buyers.

I just find it weird that all the offers in the past month have been from AfterNIC and not from SEDO as you would expect.

Obviously SEDO are doing something wrong, or do they have such a bad reputation from the Buying Community?

I spoke with one of my registrars and my account manager really ripped into SEDO.. where has all the bad blood come from.. I know I am not SEDOs biggest fan, but It appears that I am not alone.

I actually thought I was being to hard on them and that I would give them a chance, because most thought it was a good deal this SEDO PRo.. Now I earn less and get more offers from another program???

Where is the good deal?, and why does the industry have so much contempt for SEDO?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't forget that enom has a link on their site to Afternic for domains that are already registered. so someone maybe trying to reg a name and see the link, thus the offers.

i have been getting quite a few offers at sedo lately.

maybe my names are getting better? :)

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Enom thing would hold some water if I was getting offers that way in the past, but the offers have only been coming in since listing the names at AfterNIC.

I just think maybe SEDO are doing something wrong, and my observations are a chance for them to find out what it is and correct? and perhaps others have similar experiences.

Biggedon are your names listed in AfterNIC also?

compubahn

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From a buyer's perspective - almost all of the names are listed with a rather abiguous "make offer" and no supporting pitch under listing details. Prospective buyers who actually are motivated enough to make an offer then find many sellers who a) do not respond b) take too long to respond or c) think they are sitting on sex.com or business.com - when they aren't. It is a discouraging process from a buyer's point of view.

A model where a minimum offer & must be specified would be more useful to prospective buyers. Afternic's setup is better in that regard. One downside there is that if you do not BIN & the reserve is met, it goes to auction Which can be risky for both buyer & seller. There are also a lot of sellers who have an unrealistically low minimum offer on many names. Why advertise a $700 minimum offer if you have no intention of selling it below $20k. Puzzling, indeed.

I am not sure any of these exchanges has gotten it quite right yet. But where there is light there is hope ;)

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is probablly unrelated but I had a significant drop-off in offers on Sedo once I switched all my landers from the "classic" to the "pro" set.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Enom thing would hold some water if I was getting offers that way in the past, but the offers have only been coming in since listing the names at AfterNIC.

I just think maybe SEDO are doing something wrong, and my observations are a chance for them to find out what it is and correct? and perhaps others have similar experiences.

Biggedon are your names listed in AfterNIC also?

many are listed at afternic, but I haven't added any new one's lately.

i did get an offer from afternic this past saturday on one name though.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From a buyer's perspective - almost all of the names are listed with a rather abiguous "make offer" and no supporting pitch under listing details. Prospective buyers who actually are motivated enough to make an offer then find many sellers who a) do not respond b) take too long to respond or c) think they are sitting on sex.com or business.com - when they aren't. It is a discouraging process from a buyer's point of view.

A model where a minimum offer & must be specified would be more useful to prospective buyers. Afternic's setup is better in that regard. One downside there is that if you do not BIN & the reserve is met, it goes to auction Which can be risky for both buyer & seller. There are also a lot of sellers who have an unrealistically low minimum offer on many names. Why advertise a $700 minimum offer if you have no intention of selling it below $20k. Puzzling, indeed.

I am not sure any of these exchanges has gotten it quite right yet. But where there is light there is hope ;)

how right you are dude
Pred :juggle:

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too many times when I put in an offer at sedo there is never a response...a lot of the sellers think they are negotiating by not negotiating...but what they are doing is not making a sale...I will always refuse to only negotiate with myself and move on to look for another name...and I am not talking about low ball offers either...good low to mid $XXXX offers. I have found that the negotiation process is a lot better on afternic...but parked pages are better on sedo...I say this because I get a lot mere interest in my domains with Sedo and not afternic...but people seem to put the bid in on afternic many times.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looking at both platforms, their really is nothing between them, and for the life of me I can not understand the mindset of the buyers or what AfterNIC does different.

I have been with SEDO on and Off for 2 years, and in 1 month I have sold more domains with AfterNIC than I did the whole of last year at SEDO... now clearly their is a formula here as I dont park with AfterNIC.

I guess I want to know the formula... is AfterNIC an untapped resource that I have missed for the last few years? I always assumed they were the underdog and not worth the time..

Do other domainers feel the same? and what has happened to SEDO? or is it the attitude of the sellers at SEDO being to Meglomaniac? or is it a case of distrust?

I have always found the SEDO sales process good, secure and much faster than AfterNIC hence the confusion as to this perplexing subject.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think sedo is confusing to first time sellers.
They don't explain or help the buyer in any way.

They don't explain that the seller pays a fee that sometimes the minimum is 150Euro.
They don't explain that the minimum offer price is not actually the price of the domain.
etc...

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Very well said and Thank you! :lol:

Personally I have only made offers and bought through Sedo (never made an offer on Afternic before), but man is it a test of patience. I would say I only get any response at all 30% of the time, or 3 of every 10 offers I make. This is VERY frustrating, not to mention a total waste of time. And I do not lowball either. In fact my Sedo offers in just the last 30 days goes into $xxx,xxx territory, and on one domain my INITIAL offer would have been getting close to record sale territory for a .us domain and I did not get so much as even a ridiculous counter (like $5 million or something, lol). So not only do I not even get even the courtesy of a counter offer, but I am legally bound to have my money tied up in this offer for 7 days until it expires. This sucks!!

Although I can't speak for Afternic I think the problem with Sedo is an out of balance market. You have, literally, millions of domains for sale (Sedo's own website boasts over 5 million for sale), many of which are waiting for a million dollar offer, yet on a good day you probably only have a handful of serious buyers looking on Sedo. So how are just a few buyers supposed to figure out out of 5 million domains, which are the domains where the sellers have realistic expectations, or who want to make a deal? It's impossible. So, odds are, the buyers are going to be wasting lots and lots of time making offers to people with unrealistic expectations, or having to wade through all the crappy names and the bs to find a realistic seller with a decent name for sale. Having said that, I have gotten a couple of great names on Sedo that I thought were good prices, so if one has the patience to deal with all that, there are good domains to be had. But it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack, so if you are a buyer plan on spending lots of time.

Someone on another thread made a suggestion that Sedo should charge $1 for each domain listed for sale, at least that way the buyers might have somewhat of a better chance of finding serious sellers. I dunno, but there's gotta be a better way to do this to hook serious buyers up with serious sellers. :huh:

stockshark

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too many times when I put in an offer at sedo there is never a response...a lot of the sellers think they are negotiating by not negotiating...but what they are doing is not making a sale...I will always refuse to only negotiate with myself and move on to look for another name...and I am not talking about low ball offers either...good low to mid $XXXX offers.
Again a good post and so true. I like you don't lowball yet I am lucky if I get a counter on Sedo most of the time. The problem with these sellers is they don't realize is that an initial is just that, an INITIAL offer, it's just a starting point. I would say more than half the time I am willing to increase my initial offer by alot and may even be what they want, but they'll never know it. So I just move on to another domain. Like they say, "you snooze you lose" lol

seanboy

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Newbie question: 1) Can I have a domain listed for sale on both Sedo and Afternic? 2) If so, is that a good strategy?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Both sites keep a 10%

If you can sell the domain yourself and use a third party escrow, such as Escrow.com or Moniker, you can pass that cost onto the buyer.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
got no offers today on sedo..

got 1 $xxxx offer and a $xxx offer on AfterNIC last night.

One Sale Pending.

Offers this month on SEDO = 0 Sales = 0
Offers this month on AfterNIC = 5 Sales= 3
Offers this month from WhoIs = 2 Sales = 2

Bear in mind all domains are parked on SEDO PRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom