Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

SEDO says shift away from typos

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"2006 will be the year that we finally move beyond the tired "multiplier" approach to valuation and rediscover the underlying value of generic domain names above and beyond their traffic revenue. As advertiser awareness of direct navigation continues to rise, value will be concentrated in domains that offer an attractive advertising platform-- namely, category-owning, commercially-oriented generic domains-- at the expense of domains where most businesses would not want to see their advertisements-- eg, typos and potential TM domains."

~Matt Bentley, CSO SEDO

Domain Days 2024

Rarethings

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now that is an interesting statement, that we all knew was coming.

I do agree that generic domains are going to exponentially increase in value faster than typo's, but typo's will always be valuable, hence the traffic they receive. Even if Sedo doesn't convert the typo's like they used to, there will be other aggregators, and affiliate links, and so many other ways to monteize the valuable traffic.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You really think typos will be popular at all when advertisers stop paying on them, and Google and Yahoo eliminate them from their search results?

Of course the development of an application built in to your browser to filter most of the obvious typos from results is also thought to be on the way.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What about typos of generic words? I asked this question
here recently. Traffic coming from typos of generic words
should be just as valuable as the traffic coming from the
generic word. The person is still looking for the same thing,
they just typed it wrong. (e.g.: mattress vs. matress)

I can see that typos of trademarked sites should have
less value, because the person who mistypes the word
does not end up at the site they intended, so that is not
quality traffic (although you can make money with that type
of domain, it might not be where advertisers want to advertise).

I don't think search engines should totally ban typo domains.
There are so many mis-spelling of words now to come up
with unique company names, and made up words, that how can
you monitor it all? Some made up words could seem like typos
but are actually legitimate sites and businesses (e.g.: cingular)
The best the search engines can do is what they are doing now,
include a line that says "Did you mean to search for ..... "
Plus search engines don't impact direct navigatin anyway.

I wouldn't want to see a browser filter for typos or anything - it could
filter out legitimate sites. It's the same as if your internet service
provider filtered out competitivite sites, they could do it but
too many people would complain. (in fact I've read of some instances
where they tried this).

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
You really think typos will be popular at all when advertisers stop paying on them, and Google and Yahoo eliminate them from their search results?
Being "popular" and being "profitable" vary.

So to personally answer your question - Will the popularity of typos decrease? Not my concern, and it were I'd be glad they were in fact losing popularity. Will typos continue to be effective revenue/traffic vehicles, regardless? Yes.

Whether you feed targeted traffic to a non-tm/typo website of your own, or if parking was the perfect fit for your time - redirect traffic to one of the already overly-abundant amount of CPA programs out there, with exclusive advertiser contracts mind you. More time/effort than traditional parking (of course), but the end justifies the means.

So you say "No more park and pay", and we must devise individual revenue methods to make cash? The horror! We will no longer having the luxury of a simple DNS change before turning an immediate profit. Boo Hoo :( -- Pick yourself up, and research alternative (which seems unlimited) Internet venues.

simon

Senior Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo depends largely upon the income from its parked pages and typos are its highest earning names
so i doubt if sedo will do anything for the typos in question
cheers

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo will change if faced with a major lawsuit like the others. Also, it looks like you guys are thinking via the current mindset. What happens if the browser recognizes popular sites/TMs and provides the searcher with a page like Google does now on search. Mainly, "Did you mean"?

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Of course the development of an application built in to your browser to filter most of the obvious typos from results is also thought to be on the way.

I thought typos get type-in traffic, the traffic does not come from search engines.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google's parking program is largely built from tm typos. Check for yourselves.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BobDiGiTaL said:
I thought typos get type-in traffic, the traffic does not come from search engines.
Yeah, of course, but the money comes from Google and Yahoo etc. etc. and if they stop paying on typos where is the money earned to make them worthwhile? I'm saying Google et al are facing increasing pressure to filter out TM infringements. If you have a typo of a famous TM or Site, microsoft, Google etc know it. If they start to mess with payment on those, or even if they resolve at all or are then redirected to the real site, where is value in continued ownership? I really think they are going the way where TM typos will be restricted whether you already own them, or whether you want to register new ones. I believe the registry will be sued, and the registrars if they continue to allow drop pick-ups or regs on these. PPC and brokerages will drop them for fear of suits. Sure it won't catch everything, but they will catch generic typos and famous TM or Site typos, just as easily as the squatter came up with them in the first place.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But SEDO is not us based

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fab said:
Google's parking program is largely built from tm typos. Check for yourselves.
Could be, don't care, also know that Columbus discovered America (well actually the Vikings were here long before), but who cares about old news? I'm sure both Google and Yahoo will eliminate typos (in most part) from their future parking programs.

stuff said:
But SEDO is not us based
Whether it's SEDO or Google or Yahoo or whoever, these companies are largely going Global and will face major suits from whatever companies are losing traffic revenue or other impacts on their brands. Dosn't matter where those big companies originate either, imo, but where their TMs etc are effective. Of course most of the revenue is on .com typos on US companies right?

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor What happens if [/QUOTE said:
Yeah, "what if". :laugh:

Hypothetical assertions denoting the possible volatile nature of the PPC industry is nothing new. Especially in this case, as these domains are already a crippled-facet of the industry to begin with...we've long known the risk, and to counter with hearsay such as "what if browsers/Internet2/US bombs Google" type of response - looks as if you're not speaking from experience with typos and converting them (with non-parking alternatives), but rather just taking the current favorable domainer highground for the sake of saying "I told you so" a year down the road.

[beat dead horse]Typos are bad, and will be worthless. [/beat dead horse]

We can take the "what if" mentality in both directions, and start naming off the positives that may enhance the domain industry in years to come. The browser additions that 'could possibly' work for the best. But it would be grasping at straws and playing a guessing game - just as you are currently.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MJM said:
[beat dead horse]Typos are bad, and will be worthless. [/beat dead horse]
You haven't see Google trying to fend off major suits from the TM front? You haven't seen Yahoo cutting back on pay to typos? You haven't seen the statements (like I used at the start of this thread) from the Domain brokerages and the PPC companies foretelling of the shift from typos?, or some of the biggest TM typo holders dropping (not selling) large portfolios like LaPorte? These things are trends that are happening now in our little industry, not just my imagination. I'd suggest that these typo squatters wake up and smell whats going on, rather than trying to defend the usefulness of a revenue model that is going away.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
You haven't see Google trying to fend off major suits from the TM front? You haven't seen Yahoo cutting back on pay to typos? You haven't seen the statements (like I used at the start of this thread) from the Domain brokerages and the PPC companies foretelling of the shift from typos?, or some of the biggest TM typo holders dropping (not selling) large portfolios like LaPorte? These things are trends that are happening now in our little industry, not just my imagination. I'd suggest that these typo squatters wake up and smell whats going on, rather than trying to defend the usefulness of a revenue model that is going away.

And how come You know so much about it?
I have been in PPC for some years now and other then seeing some obvious TM-s banned I have not hear anything.
Looks like You simply like to go to peoples nerves
Althought its not bad that You cause some panic, maybe the TM typo prices will go down,- I don`t see why You would want that, other then You would like to buy some for yourself.

other then that You really don´t achieve with this posts.
Just My 2 cents.

none

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:

How would any heuristic algo determine whether a name is a brand or a typo?

For instance: blogs versus blogz?

Or swatch versus watch?

Good luck with that.

MJM

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
You haven't see Google trying to fend off major suits from the TM front? You haven't seen Yahoo cutting back on pay to typos? You haven't seen the statements (like I used at the start of this thread) from the Domain brokerages and the PPC companies foretelling of the shift from typos?, or some of the biggest TM typo holders dropping (not selling) large portfolios like LaPorte? These things are trends that are happening now in our little industry, not just my imagination.
No one is debating what is actually occurring with google/yahoo/whomever.

What is being debated - is the worth of these names thereafter the storm. The worth of these domains without Sedo, without google - embracing such said typo-traffic. I say these names will go almost unaffected with regard to revenue. In some cases fair better, others worse. Regardless for good or bad, the fact remains ALTERNATIVE methods to generating income online exist. For this reason, typos will retain their value/demand on the secondary market. Surely not as much thereafter Sedo/etc deviate from this approach. But this will only drop the prices of typos on the resale market, 'leveling' out any lose of revenue incurred by the demise of typo-parking.

paulc

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How come generic typos are a problem, I can understand typos of companys which involve tm issues been an issue, and everyone clamping down on that, but if you had widget.com and someone else had qidget.com why would registers and advertisers have an issue with that.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "what if".

IF a granndma had balls she'D be a grandpa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom