Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo's parking - better chance with lotto

Status
Not open for further replies.

wphillips

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
These are the historical facts from Sedo's about us page

Numbers and facts (As of: Feb 2008):
Domain transaction volume per month: > $6 million
Number of members: 690,000
Number of domains in our database: 11,500,000
Number of parked domains: 3,200,000

Number of domains sold per month: > 1,900 = 22,800 per year / 3,200,000 = 0.007125 %

I am a avid gambler and these odds are not worth taking. You are better off buying a lotto ticket and you will have a better chance of making money from selling your parked domains.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As a gambler, you must know that all numbers are created equal while not all domains are created equal.

wphillips

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As a web developer you would you agree that optimizing your domain name is a better choice than wasting time parking or waiting for for a sale?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
First off, you didn't quote on my remark that your math is obviously wrong ;)

On the subject of development, I have more than 1,000 domains. The ones I chose to develop are a small subset. Off those that I park, I generate plenty of income via parking and sales.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a web developer you would you agree that optimizing your domain name is a better choice than wasting time parking or waiting for for a sale?

out of 65K members here at dnf, the percentage of those who are "web developers" vs those who just park domains is what?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many people park on Sedo not to sell, I don't know the percentage but I'm sure it's a bit plus, a lot of the domains on Sedo are not worth a reg fee or the price that they're asking for.

Plus, I'm willing to bet that a good number of the domains that they claim that they have listed aren't actively parked with Sedo. If I sell a domain or move it to a different parking company, quite often I don't delete it out of my Sedo account (Sedo will just notice no hits on the site).

Also, where did you get the "domains sold per month" number?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There are at least 3 layers of domain monetization:

1. Full development, for monetization via ads or for a future sale along with content & traffic.
2. Parking for PPC monetization & sales.
3. Domain flipping, i.e. the quick turnaround for a profit.

Choosing which option to use for which domain depends on several factors, such as (pre) existing traffic, brandability, domain age, how generic a domain is etc.

wphillips

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't have those number's, I just listed the facts from sedo's about us page. The math is correct. You guy's may be in the state of denial.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I don't have those number's, I just listed the facts from sedo's about us page. The math is correct. You guy's may be in the state of denial.

In roulette, you have 38 numbers and all are equal; your chances of the ball landing on number 15 are the same as with the rest.

JunkyCrapJoker.biz is not on the same par as keyword.com so its chances of a sale via parking or even revenue are slim.

In other words, your example is far from being solid.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
out of 65K members here at dnf, the percentage of those who are "web developers" vs those who just park domains is what?
0.0016 per cent are developers at any given time if the barometric pressure is 760 millibars.

Oddly enough, when the barometric pressure increases the number of members who develop decreases. Vice versa when the barometric pressure decreases the number of members who develop increases.

I have not completed my research totally to illustrate this unbeknowst prior to now domain phenomenon. To complete my hypothesis I am going to need the latitude and longitudinal locations of each member as well as the elevation in relation to sea level to determine the validity of this claim.

I will cross reference with the past 100 years of daily barometer and temperate readings to determine if the number of domainers who actually develop are also determined by any particular day of the week that such a question is asked thereby determining the correlation of domainers and websites built.

All of this, of course, will be dependent upon each member's cooperation. :eek:

H

H2FC

because of their $50 minimum sales fee or 10%...which ever is more, I see no need to park a name with sedo if you intend to get at least $500 for it. I believe their ppc is the smallest in the industry.

does anyone know where we can see the complete monthly sales list every month?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
0.0016 per cent are developers at any given time if the barometric pressure is 760 millibars.

Oddly enough, when the barometric pressure increases the number of members who develop decreases. Vice versa when the barometric pressure decreases the number of members who develop increases.

So that would be why I stopped developing and parked during hurricane Wilma.. :)

BTW - 760 millibars is one heck of a hurricane, we're talking Category 5 or worse! :smilewinkgrin:

Also, many domains "listed" with Sedo might not actually be parked and/or for sale with Sedo. When I sell a domain, develop it, or move it to a different parking company and I may not think to delete it from my Sedo account. Sedo still sees it as being parked with them, just no traffic.

Also, some great points are being made here - not all domains are created equal, many domains are parked just to park and take in revenue, not for sale, etc..

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggedon's question (and implications) that most people on this forum are domainers - not developers.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its an interesting comparable but without the numbers for a lottery containing as many tickets as domains or grouping of a country lotto etc. How can I make a scientific decision lol

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The original OP is useless if he/she thinks Sedo has 690,000 active members, just as the number on this forum is skewed in that regard.

As for sales, I am not at all interested in the garbage domains on sedo or on this forum.

I am interested in one thing - my sales.

As for being an avid gambler - that does not say anything about being a successful gambler.

It would be like me being an avid fisherman. That doesn't mean I am going to catch a fish every time.

wphillips

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The original OP is useless if he/she thinks Sedo has 690,000 active members, just as the number on this forum is skewed in that regard.

As for sales, I am not at all interested in the garbage domains on sedo or on this forum.

I am interested in one thing - my sales.

As for being an avid gambler - that does not say anything about being a successful gambler.

It would be like me being an avid fisherman. That doesn't mean I am going to catch a fish every time.

A professional gambler will bet on odds that are in his favor something like 60-40. this increases the chances that you will have a positive ROI. It is impossible to predict the outcome of a future event. Trying to minimize luck and bet on odds in your favor makes it an investment not a gamble. If you try to factor in all of the variables mentioned in these replies you will most likely come up with 1% or better chance of selling your parked domain. Most of the comment's to this assesment of parking have been constuctive except for talk of barometer's and fishing. I can't remember a time when I went fishing that I didn't catch one. Where do you go?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A professional gambler will bet on odds that are in his favor something like 60-40.
In my bath tub. Why, did I do it wrong?

The point of my comments is if you stick to one and one only place to list your domains for sale, then yes...your odds are minimal.

If you want to abide by their TOS and ONLY LIST it for sale on Sedo then that is up to you.

If you list the name for sale here, your odds increase. Why? Because suddenly each thread is indexed on the search engine bumping up the google ladder.

You can list it on Afternic, and more domain auction sites. You can list it for sale on DNForum, NP, and other forums.

You increase your exposure.

If you want to play cards, stick to cards. If you want to gamble your money in domains and maximize your returns, then put your money into ultra high generic names. They will cost you more but the return will be more.

Increase Risk = Increased Return.

Much like the stock market, bonds, funds, etc = and poker!

Yes, poker. If someone goes all in and you are convinced you have the better hand and he is bluffing you, are you going to fold? You are either all in or out.

If you are all in then you have just increased your risk. If you win, then you have increased (maximized) your return.

As for fishing, if you put your line in where there is no fish, then your return is nil.

It would be like listing a domain for sale on Craigs List. You just cast your line into a lake with no fish.

What do you expect to catch?

I could have went to a stocked pond and got something every time I threw the line in. Little fry or a big one every now and then.

as for me fishing...totally unrelated to domaining.

I am an avid fly fisherman.

I can spend eight hours or more in a river and not catch a thing and be in a total blissful state and at peace with myself and the world. Not a sound or a care in the world.

And the return is a greater sense of being and self.

I win every time I go fly fishing. Do you win every time you place a bet?

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A professional gambler will bet on odds that are in his favor something like 60-40. this increases the chances that you will have a positive ROI. It is impossible to predict the outcome of a future event. Trying to minimize luck and bet on odds in your favor makes it an investment not a gamble. If you try to factor in all of the variables mentioned in these replies you will most likely come up with 1% or better chance of selling your parked domain. Most of the comment's to this assesment of parking have been constuctive except for talk of barometer's and fishing. I can't remember a time when I went fishing that I didn't catch one. Where do you go?

While that is true the same can be said about a professional anything. I'd hate to say it but most domains I see on Sedo are not worth the asking price, plain and simple. This makes me believe that most of the sellers on there are either not professional domainers or looking in the wrong place to sell.

As Doc Com said, a professional will have many other venues to sell their domains (here, NP, Afternic, etc..) thus greatly increasing their chances of selling a domain. Personally I don't care where a domain sells, as long as it sells.

Plus, a professional domainer will be able to find better quality domains than the novice, just like a professional gabler would know what to do in the blackjack table to maximize their chances as opposed to somone gambling for fun.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been pointed out.

To gamble on the lottery etc you have to pay money which you risk losing and probably will lose.

You don't have to pay any money to park at sedo, so you don't risk losing it.

You do of course have to pay registration/renewal fees, but as pointed out by people above, selling isn't the only reason or benefit for parking at sedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom