Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sending stuff to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcamel

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Let's say I want to ship a cellular phone to my friend who lives in the US (I'm located outside of the US).
It's an expensive phone - about $800.

Will my friend have to pay duty on this shipment ?
Does the US customs check every package that comes in or is it something random?

I tried searching for "cellular phones" in http://dataweb.usitc.gov/scripts/gsp/gsp_tariff.asp but couldn't find anything ... could it be that cellphones are duty free ?

Thanks
Idan

Domain Days 2024

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes on the duty, and yes to a serious extent on the checking. Otherwise you might just be lucky, but as it's an electronic device, the chances are that it will be discovered.

RazorNF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, and I've bought stuff from ebay before, where depending on the item, international shippers sometimes mark the customs declartion as "gift" and even "0" for value which is quite the stretch and can raise some eyebrows. - For me I'd say I've been lucky and only pay duty/gst about half the time.

But then again, we have NAFTA with the US, and I still don't know what's covered under this agreement...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
At the country of origin you will have to declare the item and its value, even if it's a gift. At the country of arrival, the customs do monitor content, originating country and declared value. Items do get checked and scanned for content. By declaring a small value to your item, you are risking it getting lost (or even, stolen) without any traceable option. So it's a catch-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom