Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

sharing: my guide on installing phpbb3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's how to install phpbb3 on your web space hosting account. You need to download the latest full package of phpbb3 from the phpBB Creating Communities Worldwide website. Once you download the latest full package of phpbb3 you need to unzip the files and have them ready for uploading to your webspace hosting account.

Creating the database...

First we are going to create the database for phpbb3. Login to your website control panel [Cpanel] and look for a icon that looks like the picture below called MySQL Databases.

cpanel.jpg

Inside MySQL Databases you are going to create the database that's going to make phpbb3 work on your website.

mysql.jpg

To create the database is going to take 3 steps.

1. You need to give your database a name.

2. You need to create a user name and a password for the database.

3. You need to add the user to the database by clicking on the button.

NOTE: Write this stuff down because you are going to need it later on in the installation process...

dbusertable.jpg

Your MySQL Account Maintenance should look like the picture above.

You have now finished with the MySQL Database installation part of phpbb3 message board.

Installing phpbb3...

Now you need to decide where you are going to upload the phpbb3 forum files. Are you going to have a website or just the forums? If you are planning to have a website or already have a website in place then i would suggest installing phpbb3 on a directory called "forums".

Connect to your webspace hosting account trough FTP and create a new folder called "forums" inside of the "public_html" directory. Now upload all the files that are inside of the phpbb3 folder to the "forums" folder you created in inside of the "public_html" directory.

Now that all the files are uploaded to the "forums" folder. You need to open favorite internet browser.

Code:
http://www.yourdomainname.com/forums/install/install_install.php

install.jpg

To install phpbb3 is going to take 8 steps.

Click the Proceed to next step to continue with the installation of the message board.

requirements1.jpg

requirements2.jpg

In the requirements part of the installation you are going to check to see if phpbb3 could be install on your webspace hosting account.

Look in the "php version and settings" are all green yes and "supported databased" mysql has a green available next to it. Check to see if "files and directories" and "optional files and directories" are all found and writable. If something shows in red "not found" or "unwritable" you need to either create the file or folder like it says there or make the file or folder writable by changing the files permission.

Now click Start Install to begin the installation process of phpbb 3 message board.

dbsuccess.jpg

The image above shows that you made a successful connection to the MySQL database.

You can click Proceed to next step to continue with the installation...

dbsettings.jpg

You need the info that you entered when creating the database in the 3 steps above. We need the Database Name, Database Username, Database Password. Everything else should be left the way it is.

You need the login name that you use to connect to cpanel [Control Panel]. Looking at the picture above you can see that i used my login name for my cpanel website which is "c388262". You need to enter the cpanel login name with an " _ " in between the cpanel login name and database name. The same goes for the cpanel login name and the database username.

Examples...

Database name:
  • c388262_testdb
Database username:
  • c388262_testuser
NOTE: You do not need the cpanel login name for the password.

Once you are done entering the info click Proceed to next step button to continue the installation of phpbb 3 forum.

admincon.jpg

Now you need to create a Administrator login name and password for your message board. This is how you are going to login to your forum and ACP [ Admin Control Panel ].

Click Proceed to next step to continue the installation of phpbb 3.

admindetailssuc.jpg

If everything was entered correctly then you are going to see a screen like the picture above.

confile.jpg

After entering the Administrator username, Administrator password and contact e-mail your configuration settings have been saved.

Click Proceed to next step button to continue the installation of phpbb 3 forum.

advsettings.jpg

On the advance settings screen only make changes if you know what you are doing. I would advice to leave the default settings that the server picked for you.

Click Proceed to next step button to continue the installation.

createdb.jpg

The database for the phpbb 3 message board has been created for you.

Click Proceed to next step button to continue the forum installation.

finalstage.jpg

Congratulations!

You have installed phpbb 3 message board.

Click the login button to move to the next step.

finalwarning.jpg

You are now logged into the Admin Control Panel of phpbb3. You need to login to the web hosting space FTP either rename, move or delete the "install" folder (directory). I would advise to delete the install older from the web hosting space.

forum.jpg

Now go to domain name / web address to see the message board installed successfuly.

Once phpbb3 is installed you are to receive an email from the finished board to the email address you provided with your login and password details.

Now you can begin adding forums and descriptions to your message board.

The Originalcan be found here - How do i install phpbb3 on my website?

Last edited:
Domain Summit 2024

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a really amazing guide! Do you maybe know how to update from phpbb2.x to phpbb 3.x? Especially that I have a database to save over and a skin.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank YOU! tetrapak,

Not right now. I have to look for my phpbb2 files then install it at my web hosting account to then do the upgrade and write about the upgrade.

When i do it i'll post it here and at my blog.

tetrapak

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That would be really nice, can't wait. I just don't want to ruin in, so I'd rather wait.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
all the phpbb are rife with holes for hacking.
What host r u using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom