Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

show your other gTLDs from Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mobiledesigner has covered .estate, so I'll offer myself up to be shot down for the following:-

failed to get:-

elvis.gallery
classic.graphics
ilove.photography
industrial.photography
right.lighting (phew, lucky let off)
street.lighting (premium, again llo)

did get:-

stunning.graphics
cloud9.photography
funky.photography
future.photography
myfavourite.photography

Go on, fire away - I can take it (2 glasses of sauvignon blanc helps ;)).

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay ?

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing is to be quite honest its about making money releasing and selling the domains and then renewals will trickle down over the years.. basically the registries are the domainers.. one major concern is the variable pricing.. they are basically pricing names as they wish without any explanation.. some renewals already cost hundreds per year, some are just $20.. the question when it comes to the years ahead is, once the landrush $ is over from all the new tlds and renewals start to dwindle away, can they raise these prices to whatever they want still on a name to name basis which is basically what they're already doing. You can always choose not to renew at that point in time, but then you've lost your entire investment.. something to think about before sinking an exorbitant sum into any new tld.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
manyagem said:
14.90 for the rest. Is that good/bad/don't know?

guess I'm gonna have to use my AK and shoot you......

cuz, >>>> MYFAVOURITEPHOTOGRAPHY.COM > is available to register for $2.99 @ gd with a coupon code

:)

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
guess I'm gonna have to use my AK and shoot you......

cuz, >>>> MYFAVOURITEPHOTOGRAPHY.COM > is available to register for $2.99 @ gd with a coupon code

:)

Wow Biggie ! So valid. Manyagem if you sell the gtld, you have an easy upsell .

A sneaky trick might be to sell the gtld low and charge big for the .com :smilewinkgrin:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have learned one thing or two in my domaining career:
1. it's already hard enough to sell good .com.
So when you are dealing with little-known extensions, you put yourself at a disadvantage.
No matter how good the keyword, if the TLD sucks then the whole domain is garbage.

2. a good domain is a domain that is already worth something today.
On the other hand buying new extensions is entirely speculative, you are gambling that they will become 'mainstream' one day but history has shown that it just doesn't happen.
Take the most 'successful' of post-2000 extensions: .info.
After a decade it's not trusted very much, and you will struggle to sell a .info unless you own the very best keywords.

So unless you are prepared to develop these names or renew them as long as necessary (not that I advise doing that though) I think they will just blow a hole in your wallet.

Keep in mind that we are going to have hundreds, thousands of TLDs. So why would I want/need to buy your <insert keyword here> . <insert outlandish extension here> when I have so much choice ?
As Biggie suggested, alternatives are easy to find even in .com, and predictably the end users will bypass you completely for their domain needs :)

To put it bluntly, I think there are almost no opportunities for domainers in the new extensions. Because the registries are the domainers, and they are pretty much the only players who stand to make a profit.
Consider investing also in extensions that work today. And believe me, .com and ccTLDs will continue to dominate the landscape regardless of the background noise :yes:

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mobiledesigner has covered .estate, so I'll offer myself up to be shot down for the following:-

failed to get:-

elvis.gallery
classic.graphics
ilove.photography
industrial.photography
right.lighting (phew, lucky let off)
street.lighting (premium, again llo)

stunning.graphics
cloud9.photography
funky.photography
future.photography
myfavourite.photography

Takes a lot of courage to post these names publicly, so I have to applaud you for that.

But man, domainers are not going to pay more than reg fee for these names and no business in the world wants them. If they did, they would have them. So who do you sell them too? Point blank, end of conversation.

Anyone that wanted a particularly [keyword].new gTLD paid the prem price to get them before general registration. Any new gTLD that is available to register is garbage and will never sell. It's not like they all dropped by surprise. This has been years in the making, so the people that wanted them had plenty of time to plan.. and got what they wanted.

Man, this is common sense... Why would someone pay $x,xxx for a new gTLD hand reg when they could have paid the prem to get it. Start thinking people, please!!!

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm learning useful lessons - the hard way, perhaps. But then again, I could fork out the same dosh to be taught that on a 'course' and not learn any lessons at all.

Appreciate the honest advice. Thanks.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ticket(/dot/)gallery
decorating(/dot/)gallery
area(/dot/)estate
accessory(/dot/)camera
television(/dot/)equipment

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I am afraid I am with the others on this. Your acquisitions are going to be extremely difficult to resell, if that was your goal.

I believe new tlds are going to be a great creative outlet for end users.

However, I think they are going to undercut the market for our domain portfolios. This business just got exponentially more complicated and nuanced.

Big picture, the positives far outweigh the negatives, though that may be hard to see from our particular vantage point.

George Verdugo

Seasoned Domainer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BeverlyHillsReal.Estate
BelAirReal.Estate

Tikkun

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The long gtlds are toughies, because the just add so man damn letters. But I think stunning.graphics would have a buyer somewhere.

You can ALWAYS sell ANY domain if you take a few hours to identify potential buyers with a domain names that still somehow hustle and get business... (i.e., they have poor marketing, but they're good at sales so they still make good ca$h) Then you can CALL THEM (don't just write them) and talk to them into upgrading their domain.

Just make sure you call people who the name will be an obvious upgrade for. You don't need to have the penultimate domains -- you just need ones that are an upgrade for somebody, and contact that somebody. Let them know it'll make sales and marketing easier, and they'll listen.

The phone is your greatest asset when trying to sell a domain that won't necessarily garner much attention on the online marketplaces.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with the earlier post about the domaining business getting more complicated. No one really knows how this will all shake out, and how the new gtlds will cut into the legacy domain extension market. Everything has completely changed here at the beginning of 2014, it's a new domain world. I am neither sure or unsure that these new gtlds will be treated the same as the .info .travel .coop etc group that came before. Because of this I've been dropping some of my lesser quality domains, and only hanging onto my good or better ones. And there already seems to be a market and demand for keywords that are a great match to a new gtld.

One thing everyone will be able to gauge throughout 2014 is how domains in their existing portfolios continue to sell and get inquiries, what reported new gtld domain sales we see, and interactions with potential buyers - will they mention these new gtlds when you are discussing a domain sale with them?

I haven't bought any new gtld domains, but I've been checking whats available, and I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying something if I like the keyword/gtld matchup. For example, I saw that Bodhi.guru was available early on, waited a few days, then it was gone when I decided to get it.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

stunning.graphics
cloud9.photography
funky.photography
future.photography
myfavourite.photography

I see little value, demand, market, usability, resale for any of these.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because the registries are the domainers, and they are pretty much the only players who stand to make a profit.
Wow! Somebody else figured this out!

If dot mobi did anything, it gave every potential registry owner insight to the strategy of making pre-released names premium and auctioning them off. Every swingingdick domainer saw the bundles of cash to be made on top of speculative hand regs by creating a demand for certain keywords. To me, and a few other austute domainers, there is no surprise of these tactics. As many have said, the ones to make the money are those who own the registry.

Unless people are prepared to sit on these names for a while until the market catches up (if that happens with 90% of the new extensions), stay away. Otherwise you are looking at years of renewal fees.

Do not reg stuff just because it is available. Do not approach these new tld's like other domains (ie, must register each and every LLL.extension).

Unless you have some personal attachment to the name (ie, doggy.photography) and plan on creating your own site, stay away.

BuzzNames

Big domains and websites
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I buy red.lighting - (in my opinion this extension - new gTLD dont have any future for marketplace , same crap from ICCAN)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom