Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Snapnames a waste of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
300 DNF$ reward

I'd really like to see some tier 1 (great names) snapped by Snapnames over the last few months. I've seen a few mediocre to just plain worthless names posted on this forum, but I wonder how many of you are experiencing what I am with their services.

I spend some good money to get a jump (two or three months) or more on tier 1 names only to see the likes of BuyDomains take them whether I have a snap or not. NEVER get any great names.

I know all about the other services and do make use of them to back up (or lead) my attempts, but they hardly ever produce what I would consider worthwhile names. For example, namewinner bids up some pretty crappy names to rediculous levels and loses them. NicGenie seems to rarely include the "Great" names in their lists for bids, and I wonder if that is intentional, due to arrangements with the other parties.

The reason why I'm posting this is that I think I may just focus on what I already have, cause the jig is up. Can the WLS be any worse?

Cmon, change my mind. Show me some tier 1 names that you members have gotten through snaps over the last 6 months.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here are names that were on my watch list in the past few months, that I believe had been caught at SnapNames (my list is only names I was observing, so it doesn't include every good name). The name might have moved from the original registrar, after 60 days.

freediary.com
3p.org
ewu.com
globaldomination.com <<-- caught for me! :)
webhostplanet.com
floridahealth.com
netdoc.com
sexysecretaries.com
cybersexchat.com
experthosting.com
nursingchat.com <<-- for me!
insights.com
freepromote.com
necrosis.com
winetours.com
dgk.com
philanthropist.com
wshop.com
wvq.com
tattle.com
freemarket.com

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep

Like I said, I am still waiting for someone to show me some tier 1 dropped names caught by Snapnames. I know Snap claims to get something like 70% of the drops, but 70% of crap is still crap.

Also, I am aware of your site Whois-search and check it regularly. Nice service, but just serves to prove my point so far. I encourage other members to check this list as well and point out anything that you think I've missed.

C'mon DNers show me something worthwhile that you have gotten thru a snap. I'd be glad to donate 100 DNF$ to anyone who can prove me wrong on this point. I'm talking tier 1 names that could be developed into a good money making venture.

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi stocdoctor,

I know SnapNames just got d1.org (not for me :sad: ).

I'd estimate the successful rate of Snapnames is around 30-40% for GREAT names, which is already higher than most drop services. There are just a lot of competitions like NameWinner, Nic Genie, Drop King, Drop Wizard, Ultsearch, BuyDomains...

But my major problem is the good names are always back ordered when I check. For example, most 3 letter .com and .net in the drop lists are already snapped, leaving only the crappy ones. Snapnames do get me two good names rie.net and upw.net recently though. These aren't tier 1 names, but I'm satisified considering the money I paid for :).

M

mole

Originally posted by stocdoctor
I spend some good money to get a jump (two or three months) or more on tier 1 names only to see the likes of BuyDomains take them whether I have a snap or not. NEVER get any great names.

Snaps needs to cater to everyone without prejudice, and therefore need to cycle longer scripts. I won't be surprised if some of the other drop opportunists target specific names to keep their script queues extremely short.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes snapnames has been for me also total waste of time:(
pcexpert.net lost to buydomains

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by 888
Hi stocdoctor,

I'd estimate the successful rate of Snapnames is around 30-40% for GREAT names, which is already higher than most drop services. There are just a lot of competitions like NameWinner, Nic Genie, Drop King, Drop Wizard, Ultsearch, BuyDomains...

But my major problem is the good names are always back ordered when I check

Hi 888 Thanks for your post. I would argue that Snapnames success rate is 0% for GREAT names and I use all the other services as well. The odds for them are pretty low too. As far as back ordered names, I run my private databases out 1 year and have ordered blocks of snaps going out as far as 4 months prior to expiration. Doesn't matter, they expire and then BuyDomains gets them. I'm boosting the reward to 200 DNF$ to anyone who can show me tier 1 names caught by snap in the last few months.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Hi 888 Thanks for your post. I would argue that Snapnames success rate is 0% for GREAT names and I use all the other services as well. The odds for them are pretty low too. As far as back ordered names, I run my private databases out 1 year and have ordered blocks of snaps going out as far as 4 months prior to expiration. Doesn't matter, they expire and then BuyDomains gets them. I'm boosting the reward to 200 DNF$ to anyone who can show me tier 1 names caught by snap in the last few months.

Maybe popmusic.net
Not for me, but someone got it in 3.01.2003

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Doc,

I understand your frustration. I tried numerous times and waited nearly 6 months before SnapNames got my first domain, and it's not a tier 1 name. Real tier 1 names rarely drop and most have a snap on them already. So I've adjusted my expectation and target less valuable names.

SnapNames got these 2 char names lately, don't know if you'd consider them great or not. (They are not mine :sad:.)
g7.net
j5.net
00.org
d1.org
yt.org

If you'd want to forget Snapnames, I can buy your SnapNames account, hope that would save you and me some money :).

Sheva

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Snapnames get ad.net not long ago.

Mike

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MikeMike
Snapnames get ad.net not long ago.

Mike

Ad.net isn't too bad, probably the best I've seen so far, but not a tier 1 name. I know tier 1 names rarely drop, but when they do I don't see snaps getting ANY of them. I maintain 40 to 50 snaps at any particular time, just to pick up the scraps of crap. Kindof like whats been posted so far. I haven't been adding to my snap balance, but only revolving the dumb thing. I might take you up on the sales of the account. I guess you get what you pay for. I can hear some of the thoughts from the vets in here, thinking "wow he woke up". I do own psychic.info by the way, and vets.info for that matter. I'm thinking of changing my custom signature back to "Permanent Newbie".

I'm boosting the reward again to 300 DNF$

com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Question: can a registrar (such as BuyDomains.com) snatch up expired domains as soon as they drop? What does ICANN think about that?

strongvis

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stock what is a good name to you?
Your ideas of tier1 names might not be the same as others.

I've seen snap get a lot of names but it's all relative.
I laugh at lists of what others call good names sometimes and I'm sure you think lists I would have aren't "up to par"

Like ALL services and people chasing drops. You win some and you lose some. So you might as well keep the odds in your favor and buy a snap. If its not worth the risk then let someone else. Tier1 names in my book are NEVER worth risking someone else having the snap. If it's an open name (no snap). why hesitate to snap it??

I'm constantly amazed by the line of thought that you and others possess that since snap didnt get anything before now for me, I might as well let someone else have the chance. . . . Keep thinking that way ... .meanwhile Ultsearch, buydomaiins, mikemike and all the others don't bat an eye over snapping a name.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>Point8T: Question: can a registrar (such as BuyDomains.com) snatch up expired domains as soon as they drop? What does ICANN think about that?

Question: is BuyDomains.com a registrar?

rcristel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I've had no luck with snap names as well...

Maybee we'll all have better luck with WLS...

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rcristel

I've had no luck with snap names as well...

Maybee we'll all have better luck with WLS...

Here here!

On tier 1 names I think within the current system, it's contact the owner and buy or BuyDomains takes it.

I'm all for WLS. At least the cost for BuyDomains would go up substantially. If you persist in saying that the status quo will remain, why is BuyDomains so vehemently opposed to the service?

hollayo

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry but snapnames rules though i agree they appear to be slacking since wls got passed
popmusic.net
freemarket.com (worth thousands)
ad.net (though that may have just been a transfer - not sure)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would think to get a 1 tier name, you would have to pay a
top tier price. I really think they're all in the name game together,
to further inflate the domain grabbing game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom