Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Snapnames Douchebaggery

Status
Not open for further replies.

discobull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to say, I've really grown to hate Snapnames over the last while. Between the third rate registrars they use, and their lousy support, I experience more frustration with them than they're worth. Today, however, they reached a new low in my book.

On Mar 4th, I intended to place a backorder for the deleting domain eInstitute.com, but mistakenly typed it in as eInsititute.com ( extra i ). The domain as typed was available for registration and therefore did not need backordering. Today, one month later, I received an email notifying me that they had acquired the domain for me and that they were billing me $69 for this piece of garbage domain. I called support and got the sort of robotron response you might expect from your typical bureaucratic organization ( ie we're not allowed to use our brains, there's nothing we can do, etc. ). So now I've been charged $69 for a worthless domain that was available for basic registration at the time of the order, but which took these wizards one whole month to "capture"!!! All I can say at this point is Snapnames f**k you! I will never do business with these people again.

discobull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hey, happens to all of us, same thing at Pool - snapnames is no better than the rest

That might explain why Pool is no longer a player when it comes to drop-catching...

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I must say, if this practice is commonplace it is terribly low. I feel bad for the OP.

A quick ca$h grab by the "drop catchers", but a wonderful way to piss off your clients.

This kind of practice should be stopped.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they should only be charging you reg fee for this as it wasn't a drop nor a real catch. it was simply registered by moniker.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On Mar 4th, I intended to place a backorder for the deleting domain eInstitute.com, but mistakenly typed it in as eInsititute.com ( extra i ). .

haste makes waste...

next time

copy and paste

:)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the domain may have been caught by one of their partner registrars for a catch fee, which means they may be able not provide a full refund.

discobull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, I spoke to a different rep today and immediately asked for a supervisor. She was unavailable at that moment, but an hour later, the same rep called me back and immediately told me they would issue a full refund. Go figure...

Skinny

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to hear they'll do that!

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi discobull,

After your conversation with our support rep this was brought to my attention. We took action that I thought you were aware of. I will email you.

Best Regards,

Marti

Marti Johnson - Manager Customer Support Moniker:Snapnames
[email protected]
[email protected]
I have to say, I've really grown to hate Snapnames over the last while. Between the third rate registrars they use, and their lousy support, I experience more frustration with them than they're worth. Today, however, they reached a new low in my book.

On Mar 4th, I intended to place a backorder for the deleting domain eInstitute.com, but mistakenly typed it in as eInsititute.com ( extra i ). The domain as typed was available for registration and therefore did not need backordering. Today, one month later, I received an email notifying me that they had acquired the domain for me and that they were billing me $69 for this piece of garbage domain. I called support and got the sort of robotron response you might expect from your typical bureaucratic organization ( ie we're not allowed to use our brains, there's nothing we can do, etc. ). So now I've been charged $69 for a worthless domain that was available for basic registration at the time of the order, but which took these wizards one whole month to "capture"!!! All I can say at this point is Snapnames f**k you! I will never do business with these people again.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi discobull,

After your conversation with our support rep this was brought to my attention. We took action that I thought you were aware of. I will email you.

Best Regards,

Marti

Marti Johnson - Manager Customer Support Moniker:Snapnames
[email protected]
[email protected]

What happened? I thought for sure you guys had the magical ability to read customers minds of what is a typo and what is not, and charged the customer accordingly.. lol

One a serious note, is your system a catch all?, meaning will it go after a domain whether it's expiring, taken or in this case unregistered?

All I can say at this point is Snapnames f**k you! I will never do business with these people again.

So professional, trashing a company for a mistake that YOU made.

discobull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What happened? I thought for sure you guys had the magical ability to read customers minds of what is a typo and what is not, and charged the customer accordingly.. lol

One a serious note, is your system a catch all?, meaning will it go after a domain whether it's expiring, taken or in this case unregistered?

You're entitled to your opinion, but from my perspective charging a backorder fee for a domain that is presently available is really unethical. It can't be done on Namejet and, in fact, the Snapnames website explicitly states that they will inform the buyer if the domain is available for registration. Unfortunately, they don't actually do that and instead treat any domain order as a backorder even if it's currently unregistered.

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Raider

I've pasted some information from our site that provides an explanation of how we acquire names.

I hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Marti
[email protected]
[email protected]
SnapNames pioneered the most efficient marketplace to buy web domain names and offers you the greatest chance to get the domain you want. We have exclusive partnerships with some of the best registrars in the business. Our domain name resale auctions are powered by innovative, patent-pending technology that give customers exclusive, first access to the world's largest inventory of high-traffic, brand-able and investment grade domain names. And, we offer domain names from professional domain portfolios, which are some of the highest quality domains available on the market.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Raider

I've pasted some information from our site that provides an explanation of how we acquire names.

I hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Marti
[email protected]
[email protected]
SnapNames pioneered the most efficient marketplace to buy web domain names and offers you the greatest chance to get the domain you want. We have exclusive partnerships with some of the best registrars in the business. Our domain name resale auctions are powered by innovative, patent-pending technology that give customers exclusive, first access to the world's largest inventory of high-traffic, brand-able and investment grade domain names. And, we offer domain names from professional domain portfolios, which are some of the highest quality domains available on the market.

This reads like a automated response and fails to answer the question I asked, Clearly your system allows the user to place a backorder on a domain that's unregistered, now I would think that Snapnames within the system would be able to check the name and not allow a unregistered name to be backordered... As much as I agree the fault lies with the user for entering the wrong domain, you also have a responsibility to insure it doesn't happen.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, but from my perspective charging a backorder fee for a domain that is presently available is really unethical. It can't be done on Namejet and, in fact, the Snapnames website explicitly states that they will inform the buyer if the domain is available for registration. Unfortunately, they don't actually do that and instead treat any domain order as a backorder even if it's currently unregistered.

The fee is irrelevant, the system as flawed as it is, did what it was supposed to do, grab a domain and charge the customer.. However I would agree the name should of never been allowed to be backordered in the first place.

discobull

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As much as I agree the fault lies with the user for entering the wrong domain, you also have a responsibility to insure it doesn't happen.

I find this pronouncement truly baffling. Why does the fact that I mistyped a name give Snapnames the right to screw me? They charged me for a backorder service that they didn't actually provide ( you can't backorder an available domain ). You mentioned in your previous posting that somehow, I expected them to read my mind, but the reality is that the same mistyped domain would have been rejected on Namejet and I'm pretty sure namejet isn't being run by psychic wizards. It's actually not that challenging a problem. People don't come to snapnames and namejet to register available domains, so if the domain that was typed is unregistered, it's obviously an error. Namejet gets that, but snapnames produces search results that contain unregistered domains with "backorder" buttons next to them. You don't think there's anything misleading/dishonest about that? Again, my beef with Snapnames is that they're charging backorder fees on orders where they aren't actually placing a backorder on anything. I personally don't see how that's defensible regardless of whether or not I mistyped the name.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you made a payment online and mistakenly entered the wrong routing or acct number and your payment was never processed and you were charged a late fee, is that your fault or the fault of the payment system?

Not all payment systems are alike, just like automated catch systems are no all alike, one might catch it and the other not... Was is it intentional? nothing you posted suggested that it was, So because their not as efficient as NameJet, you call them douchebags?... Seem you have a problem accepting responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom