Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Snapnames sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
Why is a general sure of enemy troop strength? Why is a realtor sure of trends in home prices? Why is a banker sure of interest rates?

It's what I do, every day.

Yes, Chris, and I have been to Fredericksburg, where the Union generals sent thousands of soldiers to die as they tried to advance uphill against a fortified Confederate army.

And, I have had an arrogant realtor tell me that housing prices in Palo Alto (where I live) never go down, until they did.

A banker can check on interest rates today. Ask him to say what the rates will be a year from now, and he will not provide any guarantees.

So, you seem to be saying that based on your professional opinion, you doubt that WLS will ever go through (and I can certainly understand why you would want to believe it to be the case). I just wondered if there were any new facts out there that might support your opinion.

cambler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are, but none that I am willing to share at this time. You can take my opinion for whatever you feel it is worth.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
I used to share that view (and may again someday), but for now... I prefer the auction system using snaps and enom.

The reason being that I do not have the resources to place WLS b-o's on many great names before Ult and BFD beat me to it. And, I have a feeling that by the time I even get the email stating WLS is live; all the good slots will be gone.

I think the market sucks now, but it will be even worse with WLS.

There is no way to win unless you have a nearly unlimited budget.

-Wesley

Your thoughts run very close to mine.
This domain trojan cannot effectively work unless restricted to bare a more fair approach to anyone regardless of bias in capital.
While I disapprove of the current bid auction blind fold contest that has become the norm. At the very least I have the option of participating in it...even if it means a second mortage on the old homestead.... along with a possible application for divorce from my wife.
With the WLS unfortunately I forsee no options. Those that have will get, those that don't (me included)....can burn their two twenties of a suggested slot price "advert scheme"........cause wez aint gitten nutten.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ExpireGuy said:
...At the very least I have the option of participating in it...even if it means a second mortage on the old homestead.... along with a possible application for divorce from my wife...

Hah... I totally agree, Expireguy.

I just had this thought, though:

What if they implemented WLS, but limited everyone to a 10-slot at-a-time maximum?? Then you have to pick your ten best wish list (that might actually drop) and can swap for any other open slot at any time. But, limiting to 10 slots helps ensure everyone has a chance.

Of course, there would need to be verification checks to curb multiple accounts, but I think that would be more fair.

However, I am sure Verisign would never go for that because it would limit the big spenders to a few accounts and their greed would not be fully realized in profits. :(

-Wesley

M

mole

What really concerns me here is why ICANN never submitted the WLS greenlight to the DoC for approval.

This raises a lot of suspicion as to whethter ICANN members are really above board, or just under-the-table slaves of the mafia.

I personally think that ICANN should be dissolved and the responsibility of Internet governence given to the United Nations.

In the past five years, ICANN has only been more controversy and trouble having parties all over the world than Internet users deserve in a lifetime.

And Internet security? ... has worsen every single month.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
I personally think that ICANN should be dissolved and the responsibility of Internet governence given to the United Nations.

That would be the worse thing that could happen to the internet.

(I assume you also want Ralph Nader to be the leader of the free world?)

Cash Is King

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mole

Screw the UN. They are the weakest group of people / decision makers, I have ever seen.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the UN is weak because the 'mobsters' dont give them any space to do anything right.
If the UN was really a free UN, then sure... But that is a utopia.

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
Hah... I totally agree, Expireguy.

I just had this thought, though:

What if they implemented WLS, but limited everyone to a 10-slot at-a-time maximum?? Then you have to pick your ten best wish list (that might actually drop) and can swap for any other open slot at any time. But, limiting to 10 slots helps ensure everyone has a chance.

Of course, there would need to be verification checks to curb multiple accounts, but I think that would be more fair.

However, I am sure Verisign would never go for that because it would limit the big spenders to a few accounts and their greed would not be fully realized in profits. :(

-Wesley

Great insight puravida. To tell you the truth it's almost a carbon copy on one of my best of WLS scenarios. Does seem more appropriate in fairness to it's current genarally regarded manifestation.
Unfortunately, I too feel Verisign would hardly jump into this saddled proposal....corporate bottom line and all.
Playing devil's advocate, being the main registry for the coveted .com, as well as .net. They are IMO on the bottom end when it pertains to the drop market. That little over 6 dollar wholesale fee for domain regs must look like a booger on a plate next to the prime rib eats others are chewing on.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cambler said:
Yes, there are, but none that I am willing to share at this time. You can take my opinion for whatever you feel it is worth.

OK. I respect your opinion, although it is nice to know if there are facts to back up such unequivical statements as "WLS is dead". If and when some of these facts become shareable, please let us all know.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ExpireGuy said:
...almost a carbon copy on one of my best of WLS scenarios...

...Unfortunately, I too feel Verisign would hardly jump into this saddled proposal....corporate bottom line and all...

...That little over 6 dollar wholesale fee for domain regs must look like a booger on a plate next to the prime rib eats others are chewing on...

yep, yep, and yep. ;)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom