Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

So apparently I bought a domain that was stolen a few months back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Forget it! once a wire transfer is initiated it is guaranteed funds. However, if there is incorrect information on the wire transfer, (i.e. beneficiary name or account numbers don't match) the process can be reversed.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't gone so far to defeat international fraud transactions, but I got my money back from a Florida scammer solicitating fake Visa card over the phone. They took the money directly from my Citibank bank account. Gotta give credit to Citi for their quick response.

It sounds like you are talking about an ACH transfer. It is my understanding that they can be reversed weeks later.

Wires are a bit different.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I paid $150K for a name. A year and a half later the sellers sued me for cybersquatting among other things and claimed the name was stolen.

I am also interested to know the outcome of this.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are talking about an ACH transfer. It is my understanding that they can be reversed weeks later.

Wires are a bit different.

Your correct steen

Money order
Certified check/Bank Draft
Credit card
Online Check ACH

Can all be reversed

---------------------
Wire Transfer can not.
----------------------
Cashiers check can, but ONLY if lost or stolen.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It happened to me once.

Using a good escrow agent, such as Moniker, can help to avoid this.

In my case, eNom simply reached into my account and snatched the name back. Of course, there was no proper process.

Memo to eNom: 40(# you!

The domain broker, a Canadian college student named Chris, quickly hid under a rock.

It's one reason why I think allowing domain "brokers" to post on boards is bad policy.

What is the sellers' responsibility in all of this? If they are leaving their passwords around or using obsolete email addresses or keeping their domains at registrars with poor security --do they bear any reponsibility?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It happened to me once.

Using a good escrow agent, such as Moniker, can help to avoid this.

That raises a good question, what would Moniker or Escrow.com do in this case? would they really refund the buyer money if they could'nt recover it from the seller?....I thought escrow only guarantees the transaction itself....am I wrong?

roseau

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you call the bank fast enough, they will recall the funds. They don't openly advertise this but most banks will help you if you are a regular customer.

But the key is to call them in a reasonable amt of time - they can only do it within a small window.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Follow the money trail, file a police report. And post the domain name as it should be "blacktagged".

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That raises a good question, what would Moniker or Escrow.com do in this case? would they really refund the buyer money if they could'nt recover it from the seller?....I thought escrow only guarantees the transaction itself....am I wrong?

Well, for one thing, it prevents a quick flip. By adding a few extra days into the transfer process, it may be long enough to prevent some cases.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's a very simple process.

That's an understatement. Given it's an ownership dispute at the very least, it
doesn't make things any easier to resolve, more so if fraud indeed occurred.

Don't expect it to be resolved immediately. But any update so far?

Kventures

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, here is the update on this domain name:

NetSol called me today telling me that they have removed the lock on the domain. They told me that after all the investigation, they have come to the conclusion that I am the new rightful owner of the domain name, and that I am allowed doing with it as I please, including selling or transferring the domain to someone else.

I am very happy that this situation is *finally* over, and that the domain is finally mine

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good to go then. Good luck and good hunting.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these scammers or hijackers get reported to the authorites?...or does Netsol just correct the problem and ignore doing anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom