Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

So someone registered my name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I had the .com version of my name registered and forgot to renew it. I guess someone registered it or got it off a backorder. The name probably gets minimal traffic, maybe a few backlinks from my sites, but other then that there isn't much value in it. The name is also quite unique.

The person who registered it goes by the name of Mike Lopez, and seems to have just put up a foreign blog on it. I suspect that the entire process (of regging the name, putting up the blog, etc) was automated.

What do you guys think I should do? Just wait for it to expire? Should I contact him? I am not willing to pay much for the name, defintiely under a hundred dollars.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Domain Days 2024

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would get on it and try to buy it back now, let them know your limit and try to be nice. Personally I'd hate to wait a year for it to 'possibly' drop, maybe they'll take the quick cash. If it's a unique name and not common you may have a chance.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its not common, and all other TLD's are available (though I have no intention of grabbing them). I am thinking about contacting him and just tossing him a hundred bucks or something, but also don't want him to try and gouge me for more and then hold onto the name.

Another problem is actually getting in contact with him, the whois info is all protected :/ The domain is registered at http://www.az.pl/ lol.

Last edited:

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's not even worth $100 to you, forget about it....

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If he tries to gouge you, just tell him "look, the highest I'll go is $100, if you ever want to sell get back to me". Then just wait. If you leave it like that then they shouldn't feel too bad coming back because you left the door open.

And make sure you pull all your backlinks down to this domain so they don't get any traffic from you.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Learn from this.

Good advice. :)

Set up important names w/ auto-renew.

I would get on it and try to buy it back now, let them know your limit and try to be nice. Personally I'd hate to wait a year for it to 'possibly' drop, maybe they'll take the quick cash. If it's a unique name and not common you may have a chance.

No, give it a week. Some people will buy names to test them and a lot of the time they'll drop the name (tasting) if it isn't providing the traffic / revenue that they want. I've "lost" many names though backorder for $60 (didn't pay the $60) to see someone else get them only to be able to hand register it a week later for $7.

If it is still up in a week, then send offers.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would do one of two things...

1. Nothing at all (as I would find another $100 or less name) and get it if it drops...

2. Contact the owner be up front and ask them to sell it at a reasonable ROI....this is a way that you can pretty much bank on not having the name drop after a year, if he does not sell it to you.

One last thing....make sure it is not just being tasted....it may drop in 5 days or so so keep on checking.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the domain isn't being tasted (at least not anymore) as it's been registered for more then a few weeks. I have no immedaite need for the name, but it just feels wierd to have someone own my domain name.

Anyway, I think I'm going to research his contact details and send him an offer.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the domain isn't being tasted (at least not anymore) as it's been registered for more then a few weeks. I have no immedaite need for the name, but it just feels wierd to have someone own my domain name.

Anyway, I think I'm going to research his contact details and send him an offer.

Thanks for the advice guys.

keep in mind that the registration would show for the whole year even if it is being tasted...

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It happens everyday, move on and build

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's not even worth $100 to you, forget about it....

I totally agree, if its not worth much to you, why would it be worth something to anyone else??? I wouldn't sweat it, I would back order it from some company and forget it... if you keep checking on it the person will never drop it.

why would someone pick up the name???
there can't be many reasons.

1. it's is a great domain name
2. it had traffic or some back links
3. the person has the same name as you..lol
4. its being tasted
5. the person knows you

*Add more if you have them, I'm out of ideas why someone would take it.

Good Luck

:yo:

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, they probably have some script that scours a drop list, and since the name has a few back links they registered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom