Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

So, um, where is Namepros??? They have been down for hours....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This time, the down time is really long, still not resolving. I actually noticed since RJ is no longer in charge, fewer people posting on NP, so they should not have traffic related problems.

NPs upstream provider Premianet is up and running fine and NP's IP address has not changed (I queried their zone directly to verify; eNom's dns defaults to rapid refreshes anyways). And as for a DDOS attack, I seriously doubt it. Why no change in IP and no redirect to a static announcement page, etc? Imho, DDOS likely is not the reason.

** EDIT: Deleted speculation paragraph - NP is back up and running - according to RJ there, it was a DDOS. -- Imho, poorly handled by their host / colo, but anyways, NP is back up now. **

Hopefully NP is up and running again soon, but it's not looking good.

Ron

Last edited:

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm ...

I'm there almost every day and in 7 years I may have seen them down 3 times.
However this time it's been for a couple of days now. :rain:

NN

Lol you are obviously not there every day for the past 7 years because this year alone they have been down at least 3 times.

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why almost every time when NP is down, and similar threads are created at DNF there is always! somebody who is posting things like "I won't miss them" etc, etc. It's not the question who will miss it or not, do you like it or not - it's just people who a members there and here are interested what happened. I don't remember that members at NP were talking about DNF in a such manner.
Anyway, hope NP will be live soon.

namenut

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Given that you're looking for an explanation, and despite the fact that I'm wholly indifferent, let me explain:

In the context of my post, "them" = NP. Not you personally, unless you own NP.

I find the site trite; puerile, unreliable, boring and badly moderated.

Hope this helps.

It's more a matter of understanding than "helping". I ask because of the "us" and "them" dynamic I see here.
It reminds me of when people criticize the USA. The constant use of "them" makes me question if "them" includes
there own people. I mean the USA is made up of all nationalities yet the "haters" forget to realize that the "them"
they refer to is made up partly of themselves or their own people.

Much like this instance. I see so many familiar faces on both forums I wonder do you realize your including them in
your sentiments? You do I understand that your suggesting the many members of both forums are "trite, puerile,
unreliable, and boring"? Or do you segregate the DNF members from the NPs members? The members do account
for the bulk of content. And many members of DNF are also members at NPs.

Just an opinion and not an explanation is what I was asking. For, I assume, you only have your opinion not the answer.

@ Zurc, I DID NOT say everyday but I did expect someone to take liberty with my comment. I said almost
everyday and I've yet to see the amount of downtime you refer to. Evan as you quote me you misread me comment.

@ Domagon, I agree .... and appreciate your professionalism in your statement. I would hope we could all wish
"them" to do well as I'm sure "they" would also wish DNF well. I too feel a redirect would go a long way for it's
members. It is somewhat unprofessional to let the matter sit unaddressed.

Happy Safe Labor Day to all .... lots of crazies on the roads.

NN

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Appears NP, in the past couple of hours, just changed IPs within the same /24, and their site is responding again now, but very slowly.

The multiple extended downtimes that have occurred this year doesn't inspire much confidence - not only of their users, but just as importantly, NP's advertisers, for which, one assumes, NP financially depends on.

In the future, it would be helpful for NP to post announcements regarding downtime far and wide, including here at DNForum - or at minimum, redirecting to a under maintenance page with an explanation of what's happening.

Ron

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I did it.

I took them down.

Anyone that says anything differently is lying and trying to ease the tension.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The multiple extended downtimes that have occurred this year doesn't inspire much confidence - not only of their users, but just as importantly, NP's advertisers, for which, one assumes, NP financially depends on.

Looks like their advertisers lost confidence considering now they are only displaying Google Adsense...

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc Com..... STOP IT.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Doc, did they piss in your Cheerios? NP is down again....

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Kudos to DNF to let this discussion take place. I've obviously been a member both of NP & DNF for many years, and both provide in different and complimentary ways to the domain name industry community.

It's disheartening to see this DDOS continuing and I wonder if law enforcement (i.e. a legal complain, request for assistance) has been filed yet by either NP or their provider.

Rob

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whizzbangsblog is another target.

Whizzbangsblog.com
You have reached whizzbangsblog.com
Due to yet another DDOS attack by scumbags my personal blog is offline.
I'm really looking forward to it coming back up so that I can write on the experience.
Regards,

Michael Gilmour

ParkLogic

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Yep, I've been suffering from a DDOS attack at whizzbangsblog.com but I'm still managing to post articles....even if they don't look that pretty. The reason for the attack was directly due to me exposing the practices of some high level fraudsters in the domain industry that were effectively stealing from good domain owners.....so I really ticked them off!

In the meantime.....I've now got just about every legal agency involved in tracking down the criminals. Everyone from the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) to the Secret Service.....you can read about it on my last post.

Many thanks for everyone's support!

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom