Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

So who here sold Face.com for 80 mil - I know you are here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Big news as corporate buys the coms relevent.

Fess up now. :)

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Face.com is a company already producing facial recognition apps etc.. that work with facebook, so not a domain sale, a company acquisition.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Face.com is a company already producing facial recognition apps etc.. that work with facebook, so not a domain sale, a company acquisition.

Something tells me that if they had a different domain, the acquisition wouldn't have taken place; for instance, if they went by the name of "Facial". They would get lots of attention for that one, just not from Facebook.

I think it's a waste of money on Facebook's part. They're known as Facebook; not as "face". FB.com was a very good acquisition for them, as it is an appropriate abbreviation. But not face.com.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Something tells me that if they had a different domain, the acquisition wouldn't have taken place

Very possible but hard to tell how much value was assigned to each part of the deal.. obviously acquiring the name makes sense for them, and so does the technology. All in all though it definitely can't be classified as a domain sale, certainly a company acquisition, with the added benefit of acquiring a similar, generic domain.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually in this case it really is about the company, not the domain. Facebook wants the face recognition technology for their pics, it's perfect for FB. Just think about being able to find pics of yourself in pics from your friends and tag them automatically. I don't think they care much about the domain, what will FB do with it?

DnArab.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anyone see surface.com its for microsoft , i see one report someone try to buy it but Microsoft not accept that !

Albert Tai

Downloading More Ram!
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's for the technology mostly. Now I believe in the future you will see auto tags instead of tediously tagging each of your friends in the picture.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes, it is about company acquisition. maybe soon, face.com redirects to fb or maybe keep it as they have done it now.
anyhow, it's pain to tag everyone, and will love to see auto tagging speciallly my child hood pics ;) (if they are able to do it)

life is just gettin better with so much of technology in everything!

i dont know but when i search only "f" in google, i get facebook first in the suggestions and first in the search result. so , is the letter "F" reservd for fb?
i think technology has changed the meaning of "F" ;)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, my understanding too is that this acquisistion is more about the face recognition technology (than the domain itself). They made the right move in dropping the "the" back then, but face.com or fb.com doesn't really matter, because we are NOT going to "type in" facebook.com anyway (it's simply "Facebook", by tapping or voice.) And we are ALREADY living in that "big brother is watching you" future, where social activities are ALL tagged (GPS check-in's, phototagging), whether you like it or not.

dotFame

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I really like my FaceFill.com and FillFace.com, or FaveFace.com. Any input on what you all think the better ones are worth?

Thanks,
Tim

Preciousmetals

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
face is actually a need for facebook... Remember facebook is not only used by english users and lots of spanish countries such as costa rica say "Face" or "Book" when referring to facebook. So wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to acquire the generic Book.com some day.

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hope they don't implement auto-tagging, I don't like to be tagged in pictures

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to acquire the generic Book.com some day.

Which would involve the acquisition of the entire Barnes and Noble chain, seeing as how they make very good use out of the name.

MikeinFlorida

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting post Mark! So how much you guys figure a domain name like PXVR.com would bring for the "Picture Virtual Reality" kind of abbreviation?

Any ideas?

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Interesting post Mark! So how much you guys figure a domain name like PXVR.com would bring for the "Picture Virtual Reality" kind of abbreviation?

Any ideas?

80 million nano dollars?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Any ideas?
Get serious. When you create and make up an acronym to a junk name, it does not create value. It usually shows desperation to unload it.

And why in the hell are you even posting that in this threead? Do you think it is time for everyone to stop reading and appraise your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom