Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

some questions that may be dumb

pronstar

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Steve, I have just joined this forum and this is my first post.
I've been domaining for 2 months and getting nowhere fast, well, losing money fast. I keep buying
domains with rubbish back-links for parking, soon as I buy the domain the BL's and even the metrics disappear.

I have been studying metrics really hard, in relation to buying expired\hand regs for parking income
over the last week or so, but I have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to enlighten me.

Regarding metrics like TF/CF, DA/PA, is the value they offer only of relevance if the domain has back-links? In other words, if the domain has no back-links what, if any, value do these metrics offer?

Would I be right in assuming the average searches per month shown in Google keyword app is totally irrelevant as far as parking goes since parked pages do not show up in Google searches (not in first few pages anyway) seems obvious but I just wanted someone to confim this for me please so I can rule that out when weighing up a domain.

I have very limited funds now that I've wasted my startup capital of £400, any general advice on finding cheap domains to get parking revenue, or should I move to another area?

Is it really possible to find hand-regs that might give some parking revenue? I found some .infos that looked good on back links with so reasonable metrics bu tno luck with them so far (only had them a few days though) does having .info instead of .com impact a lot on parking revenue,I guess it must, but if visits are from back-links I would of thought it wouldn't matter.

Welcome to my confusion!

I liked LLLL.coms and bought 4 for good prices when I first started out but lost 2 in silly Ebay auctions with no reserve, they went cheap. Now a rubbish LLLL.com is hard to find under $60-$75 I bought mine for $35 just 2 months ago ,looks like the way to go, Ive been trying to backorder any 4L.coms on Dynadot (cheapest at $14.95) but obviously I never get one, it seems you can't do things on the cheap in this game, gonna have to get me some capital again I guess.

Steve

Domain summit 2024

jdwaverly

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, chasing expired domains for parking revenue is a low percentage game. I've gotten lucky on maybe 1% of domains who make more than reg fee per year.
If you want to persist, look at archive.org to see what was on the domain and then check alexa.com, quantcast.com, compete.com, to see if they had any measurable traffic history.

I would only reg domains if I thought I could resell them at a profit.

My suggestion is to stop registering domains and learn about what makes a domain valuable to an end user.
In general, the two main categories are brandable and generic (or keyword based).
Do a Google search and start reading. Give it a few months.

Last edited:

pronstar

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice JD, I will take heed.

In my opinion, chasing expired domains for parking revenue is a low percentage game. I've gotten lucky on maybe 1% of domains who make more than reg fee per year.
If you want to persist, look at archive.org to see what was on the domain and then check alexa.com, quantcast.com, compete.com, to see if they had any measurable traffic history.

I would only reg domains if I thought I could resell them at a profit.

My suggestion is to stop registering domains and learn about what makes a domain valuable to and end user.
In general, the two main categories are brandable and generic (or keyword based).
Do a Google search and start reading. Give it a few months.

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Definitely agree with JD, the parking domain game has a very low success rate and most of the time you simply get lucky. Also it will take a lot of domains parked making little money to make a nice profit. The way I see parking though and the main benefit it has for me is that I park my domains and by the end of the year there is a chance I am able to make the renewal fee which is awesome if I want to keep the domain that money does not come from my pocket.

When it comes to making money in this industry you have to buy quality domain names at reasonable prices that will give you a chance to make great profit on it when you resell it. Definitely right now focus on educating yourself and learning more about the right names to buy and the methods to get them.

Some of the basic concepts to focus on are 2 word .Coms and how to evaluate their search volume and CPC this gives that specific domain more value. Also drop catching services and how to back order/drop catch a domain. A lot of this information is in this forum and in many other places just have to do some research and start learning.

- Will

pronstar

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks also for your advice Will.
I should of said earlier that I was only hoping to get renewal fee type returns from parking, I'm not unrealistic on that score, but even that seems impossible with my rubbish :)

Focus on2words .com, yeah good idea, Ive been bashing my head against the wall trying to get awesome 5L brandables,
got a few OK ones, sold a few for pennies profit, so time to move on and two words.com is where I'm heading, thanks.

I done some drop-catching on dynadot, I think I understand how it all works, I was unrealistic hoping to get 4L.coms for $14.95 haha
but I had to try just in case I got the odd success, which I didn't, but now I could rule that route out, move to the next cheapest dropcatcher.

I do read everything I can find for at least 8 hours every day, a lot of it is the same advice over and over or conflicting or the real good info is rarely mentioned, I feel you have to find out a lot through experimentation, but that can be expensive.

thanks for your replies guys appreciate it.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Forget parking, these days it's an added bonus, not the main course. My advice: buy the best domain you can afford and move from there. Build it and sell it, repeat.

pronstar

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Forget parking, these days it's an added bonus, not the main course. My advice: buy the best domain you can afford and move from there. Build it and sell it, repeat.

Looks that way, only advantage to parking is getting the "for sale" sign out there I guess.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I run my lists through my own site to check for alexa (PM me if you want the link) anyway, it has been a decent way to check for traffic.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators