Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Someone using my whois details to register adult names -what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An outfit, which I believe is Russian based, is registering adult domains using my whois details and is using them to peddle medical drugs. I also have reason to believe that they are using all these names to send spam (although I still in the process of trying to prove this as I haven't actually received any myself).
The registrar for these domains won't suspend any of these names (which contain my name, address and partial telephone number) unless I can give them evidence of any spam coming from individual domains - which is going to prove extremely difficult. The email address for these names leads to Moscow.
What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This really is a horrible scenario. If this isn't resolved immediately, I think you should put up a page somewhere explaining exactly what is happening.

The purpose of the explanation would be so that the anti-spam activist groups wouldn't take your personal information and make your life miserable. They've done that to spammers before and if they thought you were doing it - they'd target you also. BTW, how did you find out that these names were being registered with your info?

Is all of the whois info including the email yours? Maybe you could request a domain transfer from another registrar and get the names.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My email address isn't on the whois of the domains. I found all this out as my name and address was posted on a blog calling me an international spammer to be avoided - the blog is being syndicated all over the internet, so I am not a happy man at the moment.
I will try contacting directi.com.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Take your drivers liscence with your information and fax them to the registrar and tell them they are your domain names that have been hijacked. You should be able to get the domain names this way.

ForumDomains

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Check to see if you're not already in a spam list - http://www.spamhaus.org

If you're in the list as a person or as a domain name owner then follow the removal procedure, or if urgent send inquiry to project-admin <at> spamhaus.org directly describing your case.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments. I have written to directi.com - hopefully they'll come up with something.

wolfis.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ed, you may get a few friendly forum members to complain to ICANN about these domains having a fake whois (which is againsts ICANN rules and the domains will be suspended)

jojoyohan

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Feel free to PM me a list of them and I'll complain away :)

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. When I have a list of all the ones that I can find (hopefully tomorrow) I will post them here.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That would be nice if you could take the domains. That would teach them to try that again. :-D

So if somebody uses bad WHOIS can you get the name transfered to you? Or just suspended. Either way would help I guess.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ed30 said:
Thanks for all your comments. I have written to directi.com - hopefully they'll come up with something.

One person reported in WHT that DirectI shut down their domain because of
one spam complaint without even asking them to dispute it. However, DirectI
might also ask for proof of such.

007 said:
So if somebody uses bad WHOIS can you get the name transfered to you? Or just suspended. Either way would help I guess.

The domain won't be transferred to you just for reporting bad WHOIS. But you
can report it for such and the registrar might delete it if not corrected timely.

On the side, I might post in my blog about an extreme case of that I was just
told about. I'm just hesitant due to the possibility someone might exploit it.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wrote to directi and they are giving the russians 15 days to sort out their whois info before the domains are suspended. I have found several more names that I will be giving to them as well.
With regards to the blogger who is making these accusations against me, I posted a reply on their blog and it was immediately deleted by them. I then sent them a detailed run down of the true situation via email and I have received no response. I have also contacted their host sixapart.com, but again have received no response after several days even though the blogger is breaking their TOS agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom