Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sony to unveil new gaming system -- 3 Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multim...ally_Announces_PlayStation_3_Slim_at_299.html

Sony Officially Announces 3 Slim at $299.

by Anton Shilov

Sony Computer Entertainment on Tuesday at Gamescom trade-show in Cologne, Germany, unveiled the new PlayStation 3 Slim version that will eventually succeed the current flavour of the console and will also be sold at lower price-points: $299, €299 or ¥29 999 all around the world. The move will allow Sony to sell more game consoles.

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim will feature 120GB hard disk drive as well as will utilize 34% less power compared to the currently available. It is unclear whether the reduction of power consumption is a result of different components inside the PS3 slim or optimization of the current technology. The device retains slot-loading Blu-ray disc optical drive, wireless networking, Bluetooth and other key-technologies found in the original console.

According to claims of Sony Computer Entertainment, the slimmer version of the PlayStation 3 is 32% smaller compared to the original PS3, therefore, it may be more suitable for those, who did not like the relatively large size of the first-generation PlayStation 3.

Sony PlayStation 3 Slim will be available in September. In the meantime, Sony will continue to sell its PS3 80GB at discounted price-points of $299, €299 or ¥29 999.

At press time almost no exact details were available concerning the PlayStation 3 Slim. In particular, it is not certain whether the device features different chips inside and whether any capabilities have been sacrificed to make the video game system smaller.

Domain Days 2024

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You left out the most important word in the thread title: PLAYSTATION (or at least PS).

Anyway, it has been rumoured since more than a year ago. I ALMOST bought a PS3 2 months ago, but thanks to the ongoing rumour which has been getting "truer", I decided to hold back. Now, I've got to finish that handful of PS2 games that are still lying around (out of a total of 70) BEFORE my wife "approves" the new purchase. LOL!

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony :)

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So it's all about regging news-inspired domains (like 3+slim), and NOT video gaming? Oh, man ...

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On a gaming note, this is an interesting development.

I think that Sony messed up with the original PS3 big time, hence this back-peddling.

They were at one stage going to price it at around £400 in the UK (before dropping it a bit), and even at £400 they were due to make a loss of £50-£100 per console sale.

This is compared to the Wii which, priced at £180 here in the UK, was making a £35 profit per console sale

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I think that Sony have dropped the ball so far on the PS 3 ('slim' or not). The only advantage is the blu-ray ability, but dedicated blu-ray players are coming down in price all the time now.

Vision

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So it's all about regging news-inspired domains (like 3+slim), and NOT video gaming? Oh, man ...

So it's all about regging crap-inspired domains like ( Domains + Conqueror), and NOT Conqueror? Oh, man....

http://www.dnforum.com/f283/domqueror-com-domquistador-com-thread-291108.html#post1429243

wmloz, your smugness and hypocrisy makes me puke --

Very trademarkable name!

Domains + Conqueror = Domqueror!

Domains + Conquistador = Domquistador!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
On a gaming note, this is an interesting development.

I think that Sony messed up with the original PS3 big time, hence this back-peddling.

They were at one stage going to price it at around £400 in the UK (before dropping it a bit), and even at £400 they were due to make a loss of £50-£100 per console sale.

This is compared to the Wii which, priced at £180 here in the UK, was making a £35 profit per console sale

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, but I think that Sony have dropped the ball so far on the PS 3 ('slim' or not). The only advantage is the blu-ray ability, but dedicated blu-ray players are coming down in price all the time now.
Let's help out Vision by talking more about PS3 here.

I guess they (Sony) have overestimated their clientele (all those faithful PS and PS2 users) and their power of purchase and/or underestimated the new (younger) and amateur gamers. And with the downturn of the economy, their only option is to put forward a more affordable console which is able to compete with Wii, the end-of-the-road xbox360, or even their own last-generation PS2. (PS2 actually beats PS3 in the latest console sales numbers.)

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's help out Vision by talking more about PS3 here.

I guess they (Sony) have overestimated their clientele (all those faithful PS and PS2 users) and their power of purchase and/or underestimated the new (younger) and amateur gamers. And with the downturn of the economy, their only option is to put forward a more affordable console which is able to compete with Wii, the end-of-the-road xbox360, or even their own last-generation PS2. (PS2 actually beats PS3 in the latest console sales numbers.)
Sounds good ;)

And I completely agree with that - I think that Sony were overly ambitious (or were poor planners, depending how you look at things) and this has caused quite a few issues, hence this new console (which probably won't have much of an effect IMO)

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It happens to everyone. Big companies forget how they got where they are. PS1-2 were awesome start of the art products. XBOX360 went online and wireless & WII went with their core group & motion technology. Where does that leave PS3? Only a Blu-Ray player, big deal, not reason enough to buy one over the others. Adults and teens love online play, kids and all ages love WII technology. I have to admit XBOX Live is run very well and you can play fluidly. Sony will now play catch up until then can offer a competitive advantage online. Slim, no slim, all these thrills are not going to win over the next gen gaming crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom