Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Spammer/Lowballer

• Thread starter Deleted member 70408
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 70408

This afternoon I received the following PM:
EDITED by ejs) said:
In Reply to your Post 4182.com, 6759.com, MerlotShop.com, ComorosHomes.com...etc - Portfolio of 60 Names (http://www.dnforum.com/showthread.php?p=1034863#post1034863):

4182.com
6759.com

I would by these together instantly,
total $275 through Paypal.

Regards,

Orjan
My set of 60 names is listed in the "Fixed Price" section and says nothing about making an offer for any of the names. If there is no penalty for spamming or lowballing, at least people will know what kind of offers "Glamorama" is making.

Domain Days 2024

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me guess...a gold member with 0 TR?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This offer was clearly not spam and I can't understand why it offended you.

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its bad form to post any private offers like this in public.

I get many lowball offers from well respected members of the forum by PM, often at 50% of the listing price for LLL.nets (I think we all know who I'm talking about :) but that doesnt stop me from replying with a polite no thanks or Ill pass.

It may be the same person next week who has a name up for sale that you want that you think is overpriced. Courtesy costs nothing.

whydna

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I get many lowball offers from well respected members of the forum by PM, often at 50% of the listing price for LLL.nets (I think we all know who I'm talking about :) but that doesnt stop me from replying with a polite no thanks or Ill pass.

It may be the same person next week who has a name up for sale that you want that you think is overpriced. Courtesy costs nothing.

I agree.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree about not posting the PM. This one was not intended to be insulting and should be kept private. All you will do is discourage others from sending you offers in fear that you will humiliate them this way. Hopefully one day you will see offers like this as an "open door" rather than an insult. I've been in sales a long time and there is just no value in finding insult where none was intended. There can occasionally be much value in seeing the opportunity that is presented. Not all will work out, but sometimes they can. The fact that he named a price shows some level of seriousness. I wish everyone who contacted me would start out with a price instead of going through 3-4 back and forth e-mails first.

D

Deleted member 5660

i think anyone who has ever made a lowball offer for a domain should be kicked out of here

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i think anyone who has ever made a lowball offer for a domain should be kicked out of here

I hope your not serious. First, lowballing is totally subjective. Who's to decide what's a lowball and what's legit? Second, lowballing is not an unusual way to start a negotiation. I can't think of many domain sales where the person didn't start by offering me about half of what they eventually paid.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was pretty sure. But sometimes you see posts like that and the person is dead serious. Usually they are very young and have done no real negotiating though.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Totally disagree with the idea of posting a private message on the forum for everyone to read. It is part of the game to low ball however the seller is not tied or obliged to sell their name!! Sellers are usually expected to reply a polite no or state their domain´s price.

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep this isnt spam just a offer :) must be happening everyday with many people you are not obliged to reply or anything just ignore :)

Regardz
lazyleo

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I agree.

I once sent a PM I felt was quite on target in response to a post, offering two typo traffic domains for sale which were both related to the post.

The recipient published the full PM including somewhat "sensitive" domains, asking "this is spam, isn't it?" No one seemed to fully agree to his statement, still, I was highly disappointed.

A private message is usually supposed to be just that - private. I consider it a serious breach of trust to publish "private" messages I have sent in good faith and in confidence.

Needless to say - I no longer send PMs to people I don't know and trust.

Sometimes I suspect this whole "lowball" concept is a silly obsession of teenagers who have never done any real business.

D

Deleted member 70408

This offer was clearly not spam and I can't understand why it offended you.
Dictionary.com defines spam as "tr.v. spammed, spam·ming, spams
1. To send unsolicited e-mail to." Since my listing was in the Fixed Price section of this forum for a Portfolio of 60 names, his PM was unsolicited. I didn't ask for anyone to make an offer, which is why I said he was spamming, and the offer was less than half of the reseller value, which is why I said he was lowballing.

The other reason it really bothered me was that I received a similar PM a few hours before offering $600 for the 2 NNNN.com names plus the an NNNN.org and NNNN.net name. Although this was unsolicited, too, at least it wasn't lowballing.

typist said:
A private message is usually supposed to be just that - private. I consider it a serious breach of trust to publish "private" messages I have sent in good faith and in confidence.

Needless to say - I no longer send PMs to people I don't know and trust.

Sometimes I suspect this whole "lowball" concept is a silly obsession of teenagers who have never done any real business.
I am not a doctor and he is not my patient. I am under no obligation to keep his message private. If his offer is embarassing to him, perhaps he should reconsider sending these types of offers. If this is a "professional forum," why waste anyone's time by sending unrealistic emails?

Totally disagree with the idea of posting a private message on the forum for everyone to read. It is part of the game to low ball however the seller is not tied or obliged to sell their name!! Sellers are usually expected to reply a polite no or state their domain´s price.
I am sure it would go over well if I sent a PM to everyone who lists a decent name in the Fixed Price section making an "offer" for less than 50% of the established value.

I hope your not serious. First, lowballing is totally subjective. Who's to decide what's a lowball and what's legit? Second, lowballing is not an unusual way to start a negotiation. I can't think of many domain sales where the person didn't start by offering me about half of what they eventually paid.
First, NNNN.com names are hardly subjective. The market is well established and the minimum I have seen them sell for on this forum or elsewhere in the past 6 months is $275. Second, there is no negotiation. My names were listed in the FIXED Price section.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
...... which is why I said he was spamming, and the offer was less than half of the reseller value, which is why I said he was lowballing.

... The other reason it really bothered me was that I received a similar PM a few hours before offering $600 for the 2 NNNN.com names plus the an NNNN.org and NNNN.net name. Although this was unsolicited, too, at least it wasn't lowballing. ...

Why didnt you publicly humiliate the person who offered the $600 in that case?

D

Deleted member 70408

Why didnt you publicly humiliate the person who offered the $600 in that case?
Because his offer was more professional and he wasn't lowballing me.

The difference is that LLL.net names can sell anywhere from $650 - $3,000+ - really depends on the LLL combo. NNNN.com names typically sell in a range between $275-$340 each.

D

Deleted member 70408

I would have sent this to you as a PM, but then again you would only publish it according to your philosophy so I thought I may as well send it public to start with!
Only if you offered me $150 for one of my NNNN.com names... hehe...

But you are right. No sense in keeping it alive. Was just venting yesterday. Have a good one.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The best case of lowballing was from someone who offered $10 for a domain I had already sold at $2,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom