Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Standard CPM Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm considering advertising on a rather large website which has many different categories & naturally they told me that the more targeted the category the higher CPM it commands... I've gone for a pretty targeted area but I was wondering if anyone here knows what the standard CPM rates are for highly targeted surfers?

The prices he gave me I gather are CPM rates since that's the only method he mentioned in his email, but to me they seem ridicuously high, even for highly targeted eye-balls.

Basically he said $40 (CPM?) for the category I wanted.

The category isn't anything with huge bids on OVT or anything like finance.

Thanks!

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the webmaster can charge whatever he wants, it's upto you to decide if its going to be worth it or not... it's always a good idea to experiment in different enviornments... just test the advertising out and see if its converting well or not, simple as that.

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$40 CPM seems very 1997ish. CPM is fairly outdated as well, I would offer a CPC rate 25% of what #1 position at overture and google are going for.

Likely they do not sell out of advertising at $40 CPM, it is more likely they have 0 clients paying this therefore they must have a decent amount of unsold inventory. I would tell him if they ever have any unsold inventory to contact you.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CPM is still alive and well on the net ... $1 to $2/CPM range is a reasonable cost for most niche sites and $5 to $10/CPM range is a reasonable cost for many big name sites; ~ $40 CPM is common on some big name sites, but advertisers experienced with negotiations typically don't pay anywhere near that.

PPC ... pay per click is often a better deal if all you seek are clicks ... however, if you're seeking exposure too (branding), then CPM can often work out as good, if not better.

As a poster above suggested, negotiate a bit - ie. asking about "unsold" inventory. Also ask if they offer PPC (pay per click) pricing at all.

Ron

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
...Basically he said $40 (CPM?) for the category I wanted.

That seems quite high. I believe most webmasters would consider about 1/2 of that as doing very good, IMO. Except some niche sites may possibly achieve that number.

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to ask was how big the ad creative was and where on the site will it be placed. If it is a full page creative then maybe $40 CPM is not bad. If it is a 468x60 then with good creative and good placement above the fold you may see a 1% CTR so basically you would pay $4 per click.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies!

The ad sizes are 160x600 towers and 728x90 leaderboards.

From what I can tell the towers are placed a screen length down but not sure about the leaderboards.

As for unsold inventory, ATM they appear to be serving ads from checkm8.com for the tower in the category I want.

deepstar

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned, you will likely still be paying at least $1 per click at $40 CPM so you may want to compare the prices at overture and google as these clicks tend to convert much better than banner advertisement clicks.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not neccasarily looking for clicks per se.... I am more looking for exposure as valuenames put it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom