Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Star Trek's Scotty dies aged 85

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4701167.stm

Star Trek's Scotty dies aged 85

Actor James Doohan, who played the chief engineer Montgomery Scott in Star Trek, has died at the age of 85.
Doohan, whose role was immortalised in the line "Beam me up, Scotty", had been suffering from pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, his agent said.

His wife of 31 years, Wende, was by his side, Steve Stevens added.

Doohan was a popular character actor when he auditioned for the part in 1966. When the series ended in 1969, he found himself typecast in the role.

The Canadian-born actor was a master of dialect, developed during his years on radio.

When asked what accent he thought his Star Trek character should have, he said: "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding."

'Go with the flow'

Doohan's character Scotty manned the Starship enterprise with Captain James T Kirk, played by William Shatner, and Mr Spock, played by Leonard Nimoy.

They starred together for three seasons before US network NBC cancelled it because of weak ratings.

But the team was reassembled when the franchise hit the big screen. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released in cinemas in 1979.

Doohan appeared in seven big screen episodes of Star Trek, and continued to voice the franchise's video games into the late 1990s.

Although Doohan became synonymous with the line "Beam me up, Scotty", it was never actually said in the series.

The closest Captain Kirk came to saying it was in the fourth Star Trek movie, when he said "Scotty, beam me up".

Initially he was concerned about being typecast as Scotty.

In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow.

"I took his advice and since then everything's been just lovely."

He came to embrace his Scotty character and attended Star Trek fan conventions into his 80s, before falling ill.

Doohan became a father again at the age of 80, when his wife Wende gave birth to daughter Sarah.

His last public appearance was in October 2004 when he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

He's about the 2nd to pass on after DeForest Kelley.

Rest in peace, Scotty. Final beam up...

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
He was part of a great series and he played his role superbly.

And he seemed like a great guy.

He is missed by many.

Rest in peace.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear this. Loved his acting.

eye-2i.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's sad that he died.

Wow he had a kid at 80? I wonder how old his wife was?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The original series has always been my second favorite ... after TNG. Bye, Scottie.

Dimva

High Traffic Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Rest In peace

mystery250

Domain Dreamer
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Poor guy... Rest in peace.

In honor of Scotty:

Beam me up, Scotty!

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom