Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Starting a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain Days 2024

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vbulletin if you have the $160 to spend.

Or a leased for 85

One thing I dislike about vB , is that you can't transfer a license out for 6 months if you havent had it for that long.. I have an owned license just sitting there with no use for it at all.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stevey said:
start off with phpbb and see how it goes, as your forum grows you can always upgrade to VB if you wanted

I'm with Stevey on this one. Everyone's so quick to chip in with vB, but spending $160 on a forum that might not even take off, (let's face it, most don't), that's a waste of money. I have at least a dozen forums online, and I'm not about to chuck a grand or two at them unless it pays off!

PhpBB is more than adequate for a small-to-mid sized forum, and if you forum starts earning you more than $160 per year, then you can splash out on vB licenses.

Just my $0.02...

OgieOgalthorpe

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMO, the two major things against phpBB are the security risks and its perceived inefficiencies when it comes to server resources.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I would say VB without a doubt. It's what I use.. But is it worth forking out for the license for a new forum that might not even take off?
Use a free forum software first (phpbb or SMF), and if it does become successful then consider vBulletin.. They have scripts to convert most forum databases to vBulletin so members and posts etc can be retained if you decide to switch..

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well.. I choose the vBulletin license because from my point of view having a vBulletin forum sends a message to your visitors: "I invested money in this forum, the forum is here to stay".

Given that the forum is a domain forum in my own language I think that it is important to send this message

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom