Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Stealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello

Would You steal a domain name if You had that opportunity? I mean if You got a domain name that is the admin contatc for another domains, would You make a email account and then steal also other domains?

Thanks

M

mole

No. Stealing is one thing. Being branded as a thief is another. Don't even think about it.

Absolutely not.

Theft is theft - whether its online for a domain name with compromised security, or offline stealing someone's car just because they left the keys in the ignition.

Omni

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if stealing means taking without asking :D lol no way

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But if this company does not exist anymore! I mean the company is closed who gets then the names? I think that someone from this company can also take this names, why can`t I take them? ANd if they were great names? I mean one .com gets 39,800 in google and com, .net, org, biz, info, us extesions are taken one .com gets 2,760 from google also .com, .net, org, biz, info, us are taken?
Do You get no temptation? I get! But I have no opportunity not yet, this domain will expire next month! And someone has a snap on it already?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
All you people say no (which I agree with), but this happens a LOT. I have heard several members here saying that they do this.

I agree it is technically theft and hijacking, but not everybody is honest. :(

-Bob

Originally posted by stuff
Hello

Would You steal a domain name if You had that opportunity? I mean if You got a domain name that is the admin contatc for another domains, would You make a email account and then steal also other domains?

Thanks

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had an opportunity I regged eachinc.com and one day I got a email they offered me $300 for it, I sayd $750 then we talked and I sold it for $400 they transfered the money up front to my bank account. But now I know why they offerd so much they have a hosting domain higway54.com and I think that more names have the same admin email [email protected]!

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stuff But if this company does not exist anymore! I mean the company is closed who gets then the names?

Do not believe it is stealing in any way if the company is out of business, the web-site does not resolve, the name was dropped, , and the name is not trademarked (and preferably is at least partially generic sounding).

In fact, I have a few names that fit the above. The neat thing is they still get traffic from surfers looking for the old company. I have a notice on the page saying they seem to be gone but offering similar content.

Brujah

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may not be morally right, but I think legally if the company doesn't exist anymore then they have no assets or claims to the name. You should speak to an attorney about the asset situation and remember that domains are not property by federal ruling.

One of the other threads contain intellectual property attorneys or domain attorneys that can probably be useful in this situation.

Originally posted by RealNames

Do not believe it is stealing in any way if the company is out of business, the web-site does not resolve, the name was dropped and the name is not trademarked.

Even if a company is closed, someone (a person, a bank, another company) might own the assets of that closed company, which means the domain of the closed company is their property.

If such a case came to court, I have little doubt a charge of fraud, at the very least, would be delivered.

Miles

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Namethink Even if a company is closed, someone (a person, a bank, another company) might own the assets of that closed company, which means the domain of the closed company is their property. If such a case came to court, I have little doubt a charge of fraud, at the very least, would be delivered. Miles

I edited the post and added the stipulation the name also should be at least partially generic. Do you think that makes a difference Miles?

I have little doubt there would be almost a zero chance of a fraud claim, not because of the generic part but all the other items that are involved such as "the company is out of business, the web-site does not resolve, the name was dropped, and the name is not trademarked (and preferably is at least partially generic sounding)."

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree with Miles, and it doesn't matter if the word is generic, trademarked, not trademarked, or whatever, it's still stealing IMO.

realnames, they are not talking about expired and deleted domains - where you create a NEW registration as it appears you are - they are talking about effectively taking over the *current* registration by means of a security weakness in that domain on the basis that the company that registered the domain no longer exists.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RealNames I edited the post and added the stipulation the name also should be at least partially generic. Do you think that makes a difference Miles? I have little doubt there would be almost a zero chance of a fraud claim, not because of the generic part but all the other items that are involved such as "the company is out of business, the web-site does not resolve, the name was dropped, and the name is not trademarked (and preferably is at least partially generic sounding)."

I should also add the name should not be Incorporated too, or at least the corporation has expired or not been renewed.

Really Miles, don't you think you are grossly exagerating the possibilty of this being wrong or a fraud claim?

I edited the post and added the stipulation the name also should be at least partially generic. Do you think that makes a difference Miles?

I have little doubt there would be almost a zero chance of a fraud claim, not because of the generic part but all the other items that are involved such as "the company is out of business, the web-site does not resolve, the name was dropped, and the name is not trademarked (and preferably is at least partially generic sounding)."

Whether the name is generic or not makes no difference here. If someone bought the assets of that company, depending on the contract of sale, the domain name could be considered the buyer's asset.

If someone at that buyer's end did an audit of the assets six months after the sale and discoved the out-of-business company had a domain name that was regged for a couple of years, and should therefore belong now to the buying company (again, depending on the terms of sale), and went looking for the domain and found that you "took" it using the expired email contact (as in the example that started this thread), then, yes, you would be guilty of fraud. You fraudulently misrepresented yourself as the owner of the out-of-business company's domain name in order to "take it over."

I not sure how the situation as I've described it above would not involve fraud issues.

Miles

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RealNames, it doesn't matter if the company is incorporated or not, it would still be a fraudulent activity.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by safesys realnames, they are not talking about expired and deleted domains - where you create a NEW registration as it appears you are - they are talking about effectively taking over the *current* registration by means of a security weakness in that domain on the basis that the company that registered the domain no longer exists.

Thanks for correcting me. :) I misunderstood. I am talking about expired names of out of business firms.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Namethink ...found that you "took" it using the expired email contact (as in the example that started this thread), then, yes, you would be guilty of fraud. You fraudulently misrepresented yourself as the owner of the out-of-business company's domain name in order to "take it over." I not sure how the situation as I've described it above would not involve fraud issues. Miles

There was a misunderstanding as pointed out by safesys.

I would never do anything like that in a zillion yrs.

There was a misunderstanding as pointed out by safesys.

I would never do anything like that in a zillion yrs.

Alrighty then.

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom