Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Still waiting on my frist sell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpegs2012

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been collected domains for about 6 weeks. I have put some up for auction, researched whois info on related product/sites. Still, I'm getting nothing. Is this just something that takes patience? Or should I be going at it more aggressively somehow. I've even got hosting now and started developing just because I'm bored with them. I'm starting to feel like domaining is more of a buyers market.....help me out.

PM me if you want to see my list. I have a LLNN.com that I would figure could be a good sale.....then again.........:undecided:

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been collected domains for about 6 weeks. I have put some up for auction, researched whois info on related product/sites. Still, I'm getting nothing. Is this just something that takes patience? Or should I be going at it more aggressively somehow. I've even got hosting now and started developing just because I'm bored with them. I'm starting to feel like domaining is more of a buyers market.....help me out.

PM me if you want to see my list. I have a LLNN.com that I would figure could be a good sale.....then again.........:undecided:

Are you kidding?

You believe the world is waiting for you to list your domain names and you are wondering why nobody is buying?

That is not how domaining works, please stop what you are doing and do lots more research....

Jpegs2012

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmmm...here I thought I've been taking all the right steps at getting my listings out there. I'm just a newb dude. Looking for advice, not sarcasm.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Be a little more Proactive.

Better! :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be patient, six weeks isn't very long into any endeavour. Keep reading and researching, make sure you are acquiring/regging good quality domains or the fees can quickly add up if no sales happen. Just as important, learn to build webpages and sites for your domains so you can earn money while waiting for sales. It's a great skill to have and will only become more important.

Jpegs2012

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. Sitting on my domains has made me relearn how to make websites. I have to say, it's a lot different with all of these templates. Pretty much anyone can make a webpage these days! Now I just have to learn how to drive traffic and monetize while I wait.
I have a good domain for a nonprofit that I'm really trying to work on if anyone want to PM and talk about it. keepfloridawild.org

elevatoria

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Mind you dear friend, you are just a baby Domainer, please I mean no abuse, and you are eager to sell your intellectual properties; domaining involves lot and lots of patience and trial and errors that includes picks and drops until you really know what people wants. I started this business since 2008 and never sell any domain while still waiting for my first sales; though may be my own problem is coming from a far black nation. However, I know that soonest I will get my first sale and to continue from there.
[h=1]So what I am saying in essence is that, you need more patience and lots of reading and researches. I wish you good luck. Cheers.[/h] [h=1][/h]

Last edited:

ImageAuthors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're right; in a recession, it is definitely a buyer's market.

I think it's great that you are simultaneously building some of the domains into websites. In a sense, that will put you in the buyer's shoes; and, after building a few websites and seeing what is worth the work (and what isn't) and thinking about which domains you might prefer to have for those websites, you'll probably have a different sense of the domains you've got.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Patience is huge. my first sale ($1,000) was 6 months after really getting into this business , but it didn't start taking off until about a year and bit after. At that point i was able to buy better quality names after reading and learning more about the industry. The key is finding out what people are buying - so check out what types of names and extensions are selling and for how much. buy names slowly so you get a better feel for the indusrty before you blow your purse. avoid trade marks and crap extensions.

My Formula for a Sale:

The Right Name + At The Right Price + To The Right Person + At the Right Place + At The Right Time + A Little Luck = Sale!

You need all of those factors to make a sale - but it starts with having a good name!

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Judging by the few domains you posted here I think it's perfectly normal you've not had inquiries from potential buyers.
What exactly makes you think your domains are so attractive somebody is going to pull out the wallet... rather than snag some available domain instead ?

To learn what types of domains are valuable is what takes time (it did take me some time too). I suggest you give it some more time and keep the credit card out of sight in the meantime :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It's easier to get sixpack abs in 6 weeks. Domaining is harder.

Fabbstar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My first sale came after a bit of trial and error - fortunately the sale just about covered the cost of my errors! :) I couldn't have sold it without a site though, defo a good idea to develop the domain! Read lots too

Good Luck!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A 'frist sell' comes after a lot of 'domianing'. Best gards.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A better analogy,..

I have been playing baseball for 6 weeks. When will I hit my first home run?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been playing baseball for 6 weeks. When will I hit my first home run?
When you think about what you've been doing wrong and adjust accordingly ?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you are in this business to make money you shouldn't be waiting for anything.

If you make a sale thats great you should view it as a nice bonus (and proof you have a good feel for the right type of domains), but in the meantime you should be developing.

Thinking you can be a full time domainer without any capital in this current climate is being borderline delusional.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't know the business, then it will take a while. Same approach when you to go college, 4-5 years to finish, then you look for a job if you're lucky you get one right away or wait for months or years, then you gain some experience, you get a raise (hopefully), on and on...

A practical domain business advice.
- Don't buy a domain name if you have nothing to do it.
- Keep reading and learn, don't buy e-book, a forum is a great start to learn the business.
- If you can't buy a decent domain at .com, don't buy a crap .com either. Keep you money and spend wisely.
- Domain business is addictive, so control the buying impulse or else you will end up holding a crap.
- Don't use an appraisal service ever, instead use past sales to convince your buyer. Dnjournal.com got it ready for you.
- And pray!

hope that help.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think whats more important is knowing your business (niche).

Having intimate knowledge about an industry that your typical domainer doesn't know about gives you a significant edge.

This is where the money is. It really doesn't take long to figure out the important attributes that makes up a good domain name (thats the easy part imho).

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say ...you could wait 6 weeks, 6 years or maybe never have a sale...we don't know anything about your domains to make that call. Try posting one of your best domains to see what the verdict is. The best advice I can say is stop and figure out if what you are doing is it right or wrong. Don't worry there will be time for you to buy more domains later...(that's if MM doesn't buy them all...lol) seriously slow and steady will win you the race.

We all make mistakes...maybe its a good thing you posted after only 6 weeks and take this thread as helpful not attacks. There are good points made above try to see the message/points that are being made.

:yo: keep reading and asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom