Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

stolen domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just noticed two of my 3letter.com domains vanished from my godaddy account. I noticed they have new owners already. Besides changing passwords etc. anyone know what to do? Thanks

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Contact GoDaddy (and the new Registrar, if it's different) as soon as possible and report the steal.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
These hijackings are almost always happening at Godaddy.... Do anyone have a logical explanation why?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will never reg a domain with Godaddy in future.
I'm tired of this crap.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
These hijackings are almost always happening at Godaddy.... Do anyone have a logical explanation why?
Because most of the domains are regg'ed on GoDaddy.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Domainah, Can you be more specific of what actually happened?... If your account was hacked, it would be helpful if we found out how so we can try to prevent it from happening to others.

Was your primary email address at Godaddy active?

Not good enough, there is a obvious weakness in Godaddy's security.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not good enough, there is a obvious weakness in Godaddy's security.
Sure. If that weakness is so obvious, there's no point to ask others about explanations.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just noticed two of my 3letter.com domains vanished from my godaddy account. I noticed they have new owners already. Besides changing passwords etc. anyone know what to do? Thanks

You may want to post the name here to prevent someone from buying the name.

Sterling

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is a thread for Adam to address.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The domains almost certainly have simple been transferred to another Go Daddy account. ALWAYS check the 'Names Canceled From Your Account' emails from Go Daddy if, as I do, let some names expire intentionally. Make sure its something that you wanted to delete! Also don't approve transfers out without looking carefully at them. I had several names including Art.US and Stock.US taken from my account on Black Friday last year. I contacted Go Daddy and got them back in a few weeks and there was never a lot of question that I was going to be able to retrieve them. I believe that someone managed to read my keystrokes but I am not certain of that.

CONTACT GO DADDY IMMEDIATELY IN ANY EVENT!!!! They were very responsive even though my hi-jacking happened on a US holiday weekend. Even if they have been transferred elsewhere, the thief won't be able to move them for 60 days from the new registrar. We domainers hate that 60 day rule at times but it is one of the few good ideas that ICANN has ever had!

DNGeeks

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That's probably the dumbest thing I've heard today

Domain hijacking typically comes from
1) A hacked password
2) A hacked email account
3) Virus/trojan infected computer

Passwords that aren't strong enough are your own fault. At least 10 characters using upper and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols make a "decent" password.

Email accounts typically get hacked because the passwords are insecure. See above. Also stop using "free" mail accounts for important things like domains. If you use your ISP's mail for something like this then typically only someone on your ISP's network can log into that account. This lowers the chances of being hacked by a random password brute force attack.

Virus/Trojan infected computers also come about because of user negligence. You should ensure that your computer or any computer you use is free of spyware/adware/viruses/trojans etc.

Are most of the domains that are hijacked being stolen from GoCrappy? I don't know, I won't speculate on that. But GoCrappy is not known for being used by intelligent users, only cheap ones.

The cheapest registrar is not the best. As with anything else you get what you pay for. But a nice secure registrar like Moniker only costs a few more cents per domain than GoCrappy.

Yes yes, I've heard it before, Monikers prices on their website are a lot higher than GoCrappy's. Go ahead and email Moniker and ask for a better price, you'll get it if you tell em you're from DNForum. And the price difference between the two is minimal but the security difference is exponential.

exxe

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's probably the dumbest thing I've heard today
Funny, it seems you have an understanding problem. Well, for those with a low IQ, here is a more detailed explanation:

If all of the exisiting domains would be registered at GoDaddy, then hijacking will happen 100% on GoDaddy accounts.

If 90% of the total domains are registered at GoDaddy, then probably 90% of the hijacked domanins will be from GoDaddy.

If 50% of the total domains are registered at GoDaddy, then probably 50% of the hijacked domanins will be from GoDaddy.

If you still don't get it, go back to the school. Dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom