Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Stop coding that roll over white box thing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
lol, if its annoying just dont hover your mouse over the thread description, scroll/hover over the thread starter name... annoyance solved...

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus
Actually, I doubt it is a "vbhack" on Whois-Search's website (as it is here). This website currently uses vBulletin 2.3.2. Whois-Search's website uses vBulletin 3.0. I stopped by and checked it out, and I have to say, I prefer the way it is implemented there. It is *just* the message contents... nothing else.

< what he said is right thanks Nexus

I'm still getting Java Run Time errors on Dnforum

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tippy
lol, if its annoying just dont hover your mouse over the thread description, scroll/hover over the thread starter name... annoyance solved...
In dnForum's vbhack, it appears *instantly* as your mouse moves over any link on the listing page.

Think about it this way. You're looking at the list of new threads, and you go to click on the 6th link down. If you're a normal person, you don't come in from the LEFT, and hover over JUST the 6th link before clicking, you come in from the TOP of the screen and possibly pass 5-6 other links on your way down. You get 6 flashing boxes before you get to the link you would have clicked, preview or not. Maybe you change your mind and decide to go up two links... more flashing. If you don't like the feature, you're kind of out of luck.

If it popped up after a timeout of .25/.5 seconds, I'd agree with you that you could "just not hover". As it stands, it pops up instantly, so that any link you go to click on, you get a blinkly little pop-up. It's a basic user interface thing. There is a javascript function called "setTimeout" that could adjust the "instant" nature of the feature very easy. You just put the feature inside of it and tell it how many milliseconds to wait before excuting it. Like this: setTimeout('menuPop()',600)
Making sure you escape all your quotes, etc...

As an update... I mentioned earlier that I preferred the way its implemented in vb3.0, and I've realized why. It's not implemented at all. They haven't created the feature, they're just using the same built-in capability of IE. If you use a "TITLE" attribute in the HREF tag, hovering over that link will cause that title to appear in a box... after about 1/2 of a second.

Food for thought anyway.

~ Nexus

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr Webname
What roll over white box thing :-D
http://www.dnforum.com/f48

--------------------------------
[CHECKED] Always display this message when a page contains errors.
Internet Explorer 5.0 Javascript Error:
Line 811
Char: 280
Error: Unterminated string constant
Code: 0
URL: http://www.dnforum.com/f48
--------------------------------
Code:
<a href="t43078" ONMOUSEOVER="popup('<b>Author:</b> JoltHost<br><b>Topic:</b> HostYearly.com<br>
PROBLEM TOPIC: "HostYearly.com"

Apparently the "break" in the line is translating into the link and causing the script to break. For those suppressing "errors", you will notice that this is the only link that doesn't hover. If you determine why this particular topic preview is having a carriage return not translate to a "BR" tag, this will presumeably fix the problem.

Regarding your witty remark Mr.WebNames, I guess that means that this officially sounds like "whining" as opposed to valuable feedback. Sounds like you're making fun of members. I keep forgetting how this all works.

G'night.
~ Nexus

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nexus

Regarding your witty remark Mr.WebNames, I guess that means that this officially sounds like "whining" as opposed to valuable feedback. Sounds like you're making fun of members. I keep forgetting how this all works.

G'night.
~ Nexus [/B]

Don't know how you arrive at that view Nexus - I just don't see it, probably due to my Norton Security 2004, which saves me from a great deal of unwanted extras.
Just because we have disagreed over one matter does not mean that I make fun of members in my posts.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just because we have disagreed over one matter does not mean that I make fun of members in my posts.
Only talking about your last post. If you can't see the popup box, you may want to ask which page its on, or read my posts about how "error suppression" will make it so you may not see it. Otherwise, with a smiley, it seems clear you're making a joke of it at the expense of people who are taking the time to carefully detail the concerns and nature of the problem. Maybe not mean spirited, but it really doesn't help... or seem in any way like a "polite" way of handling concerns.

~ Nexus

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I give up!
I wish I knew what you were trying to do that you're giving up. If you were being playful, you could just say so and not make it a federal case. :) I'm trying to help route out an *error* on this website, and I've no idea whether what I'm saying is being understood by the people I'm trying to talk to (this being the Suggestions & Feedback thread). The first mod response since the detailed posts I gave is to plead ignorance to the entire matter and smile. You don't have to make it sound like I'm being impossible, you're just be sarcastic (not a crime)... but... it would have helped to follow the "joke" with some type of comment on the "error" and if anything is being done.

I don't know what I can do to make this post sound less prosecutorial. The purpose of this thread (started by Andrew) was to alert people to a problem (the js error) and give an opinion on the new feature (that caused the error), so I'm not sure more random kidding around does much for progress (by themsevles anyway).

Best,
~ Nexus

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tigga
It's gone!!!!!!!!!
Bring it back - PLEASE!!!
:(
With everything being worked on in realtime, I'm sure its not gone for good. It's possibly being debugged or tweaked, which would be nice. Aside from reporting blatant bugs that impede the forum, I think considering everything is just "in development" is the best way to go here. I just saw that "signature image" feature with a broken image in my control panel. I'm guessing its "in development". :) It'll be interesting to see what's happening with that. A new rewards store item might be nice...:cheeky:

~ Nexus (but I did see GD's response)

tigga

DNF Regular
Reaction score
Well, I hope it comes back soon - I think it was great!

lotsofissues

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Install a right click obtain preview hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom