Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Strangest domain sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This has got to be my strangest domain sale.

Wednesday night I recieved an email from someone interested in one of my domains. I responded and he responded back right away so I knew he was online. He liked the domain and we emailed back and forth for awhile and I could see that he had a similar business model for it I had and so we agreed on $1150 transferred from GD to NS.

Here is where it gets weird, when I googled and people searched his name and email I could find nothing, he told me that he was out of the country in Asia but had an american type name and he said he had problems with pay pal and could mail me a check or money order and when I cashed it and it clears I could transfer the name. I told him I am not too keen on checks but I could send a pay pal invoice and he could use a credit or debit but I would hold it for 30 days before I transferred the name because of my skepticism or he can initiate an escrow transfer. I sent an invoice but because the email he gave me was linked to a pay pal account the invoice could not be paid unless he logged in. So I sent invoice to another email and he still could not use his credit or debit.

He again asked if he could send a check or money order and again I said I dont like checks and kinda joking I said I do accept Western Union or Money Gram which I have accepted before as payment. He asked my name and where to send it and that was the last response from him. It was late and I went to bed thinking it was all a scam and what a waste of my time and I need to watch myself.

In the morning I checked my inbox and there where a couple emails from him like he was continuing on with the conversation and wondered why I logged off. He gave me two master control numbers for Western Union, one for $650 and one for $500. I could not believe what I was seeing so I called Western union and they confirmed so I went down to the nearest outlet and cashed in.

He is where it gets weird again, that was thursday morning it is now Saturday morning. I wrote him back to tell him I recieved the funds and how would he like to pick up his domain. and he has not responded back yet, more than likely he will respond and will repost when he does but I cant help but feel I just got scammed.

Last edited:

LimitedEdition

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you received the cash from WU already then how are you being scammed?

koba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Indeed the story is a bit weird - but well, weird doesn´t mean bad all the time ;-)

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I know i have the money just seems more to it maybe not.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange things happen, but I would not worry if I were you. I recently sold a domain for more than five times my asking price. That still puzzles me a lot because during negotiations the price is expected to go down, not up. But I received the money and the domain was transferred so I don't worry.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
is there a reason he sent 2 western unions not one?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is there a reason he sent 2 western unions not one?

In some countries you can only send a max of $1000 per transaction so he split them up, not unusual as I do this as well.

-=DCG=-

loscocco

is out kiteboarding
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is it possible that he sent you funds from a stolen WU account? and now is gone?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
In Soviet Union, western union receives you!

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
is it possible that he sent you funds from a stolen WU account? and now is gone?

No, this is not possible.

If you got money from western union, YOU have nothing to worry about.

-=DCG=-

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Still no response from buyer. I have the money but am monitoring my pay pal and bank accounts for any funny business since I sent 2 invoices through my pay pal. Yes it was split up because of the $1000 max limit I would guess. I have had people buy a domain from me and disappear off the face of the earth but not for this amount or circumstance. What I have done before is saved until expiration after that I feel I can comfortably lay claim to it again.

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Buyer did contact me and had the name transferred. Please delete thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom