Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

stupid people are trying to buy generic names for millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i am just wondering why people would pay 7 millions for business.com or 10 millions for sex.com or even more

if you think in a matter of investing and making money you can realize that

let's say around 60,000 person visits business.com per month and that's how it makes money

you can otherwise register 2000 business related domains and you can easily find tons of these names which receive 30 visits per month or even more
and redirect them to one main site

2000*30 = 60,000 visits ...same received by business.com

and you only pay 2000*7$ = 14000 $ per year

and it takes around 490 years to consume the 7 million dollars paid for business.com

is it a matter of arrogance and showing off..so they can walk everywhere and say yeah it is me who owns this name ..!!

some one please tell me i am wrong :cool:g

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are wrong. Firstly I think you underestimate the uniques business.com would probably get. Secondly, typeins are the most valuable visitors you can get. Thirdly you take no consideration as to the money the site generates and lastly you take no consideration as to the inherent value of the name.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't compare business.com with other names with 30uniques per day. a domain like webhosting.com is worth tons more than getwebhosting.com (even if it has traffic) Most people who buy these domains are big businesses with BIG money.

The amount of money these domains make in 2-3 years is actually alot and i am certain domains like webhosting.com , business.com , sex.com all make their money paid for within about 5 years.

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Only visitors is not the only thing.
People buy domains because they know soon in years they will get double the price and your wrong business.com could get or so 10,000 - 30,000 type ins per day and with that you can easily make the revenue as business keywords pay well.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
business.com is also a bad example - it sold at the peak of the internet boom when there definitely was more speculation than common-sense.

Realistically, let's say you buy a domain getting 15,000 uniques per day for $400,000. You want to make that money back within 3 years:

$400,000 / (365 days * 3 years) = $365 per day.

If 10% of your 15,000 visitors earn you $0.25 each that's $375 per day. After three years any money you make is pure profit. It all depends on how well you can monetize the traffic and, of course, the quality of the traffic. I know a member here who was converting at 10% on a $30 product - do that on 10,000 uniques and you'll know you've got this internet stuff figured out :wink:

M

mole

Yes, stupid people pay stupid money for stupid .COM for this stupid outdated notion called "curiour type-ins". You can get the same or better search relevance and much more quality traffic with the new extensions .INFO and .BIZ and 2LD CCTLDs for much less money.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Yes, stupid people pay stupid money for stupid .COM for this stupid outdated notion called "curiour type-ins". You can get the same or better search relevance and much more quality traffic with the new extensions .INFO and .BIZ and 2LD CCTLDs for much less money.
Horses for courses. That's fine if you want to build your business around notoriously finicky search engines. One minute you're number 1 on google for your keywords, next thing you know you're 107. It can, and does, wreak havoc on your cashflow. It's a bit like building your house on jello. If you want a consistent foundation on which to establish a business, buy a type-in .com.

For that matter, I'm not saying don't buy a .INFO - go for it, especially if it's getting type-in traffic. With mole around to promote them, they're sure to go up in price - so buy now before it's too late!

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
Horses for courses. That's fine if you want to build your business around notoriously finicky search engines. One minute you're number 1 on google for your keywords, next thing you know you're 107. It's a bit like building your house on jello. If you want consistent foundation on which to establish a business, buy a type-in .com.

And developing anything else then .com is waste off time and recources! I could be the only one who thinks so, but ok.

M

mole

stuff said:
And developing anything else then .com is waste off time and recources! I could be the only one who thinks so, but ok.

Yes, those .DE domains are a waste of time to develop :)

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
Yes, those .DE domains are a waste of time to develop :)
Except if they get traffic :wink:

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:

I wouldn't go that deep into saying developing anything else then a .com is a waste of time. Actually, ANY name and website can become big and profitable if marketed right. Thats a fact. Just so happens, with a REAL GOOD name you get a jump start. With a not so good name your on a tougher road, not impossible road to cross, but tough. Many have already crossed it and many more will

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SouthernTn said:
I wouldn't go that deep into saying developing anything else then a .com is a waste of time. Actually, ANY name and website can become big and profitable if marketed right. Thats a fact. Just so happens, with a REAL GOOD name you get a jump start. With a not so good name your on a tougher road, not impossible road to cross, but tough. Many have already crossed it and many more will

Ahh...
You can say whathever You like, but You will lose at least %25 US based traffic to the .com version, so why waist it?

intersabre

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sex.com is worth millions. It gets a ton of type-ins for adult traffic, which is arguably one of the most valuable categories. An entire business is built upon it. I'm not very familiar with it, but I believe they've turned it into some sort of portal. They chop up the traffic into niches and sell it to advertisers. People buy traffic from it like the buy from Google or Overture.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A couple of good deals made for the advertising space with individual companies for BIG money and the time to make back your investiment is dramtically reduced.

Just my 2 cents

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Ahh...
You can say whathever You like, but You will lose at least %25 US based traffic to the .com version, so why waist it?

If you are making a profit still.. just incase that is the case.. whats the problem.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Redirected traffic also isn't the same as direct typein traffic, difference in quailty of visitors.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
intersabre said:
sex.com is worth millions. It gets a ton of type-ins for adult traffic, which is arguably one of the most valuable categories. An entire business is built upon it. I'm not very familiar with it, but I believe they've turned it into some sort of portal. They chop up the traffic into niches and sell it to advertisers. People buy traffic from it like the buy from Google or Overture.
Sex.com is actually much more than a domain.

In fact, a huge amount of their traffic (more than 50% I would say) is from their advertising network.

They sell PPC ads through their site, but the majority is done through PPC feeds they supply to many partnered sites. This is where the majority of the traffic comes from/through.

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
Sex.com is actually much more than a domain.

In fact, a huge amount of their traffic (more than 50% I would say) is from their advertising network.

They sell PPC ads through their site, but the majority is done through PPC feeds they supply to many partnered sites. This is where the majority of the traffic comes from/through.

not to mention *maturing and curious* kids turning into teenagers.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
stuff said:
Ahh...

Agghh whata comment!

That will be like saying that government of Estonia has no reason for existence and tax collection, because about 25% of its citizens go to U.S.A. each year.

I mean really.

Wtf???

brp

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Agghh whata comment!

That will be like saying that government of Estonia has no reason for existence and tax collection, because about 25% of its citizens go to U.S.A. each year.

I mean really.

Wtf???
what an analogy ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom